British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Canberra job offer. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/canberra-job-offer-796001/)

kabodhi May 4th 2013 8:27 am

Canberra job offer.

Hello everyone,

I have this week just recieved a job offer with a 457 visa (once accepted) to Canberra.
I have always fancied one day moving to Australia but never really did anything about it and this offer has come rather effortless on my part.

I have just hit 40 and in the position here in the UK where if i take the offer i basically havent got anything to loose, and i am currently doing all my research to prepare myself.

If any expats are in Canberrra and can offer pointers, this would be very much appreacated.

Matt

quoll May 4th 2013 9:18 am

Re: Canberra job offer.

Are you married with school age kids? If so, then be very careful about your schooling situation - unless your skill is on the list as being in demand then school fees will knock you back $10k pa per child for government schooling (cheaper if you are Catholic).

Bear in mind, too, the average Canberra salary is c$80k so it is an expensive place to live and you probably wouldnt want much less than that if you fancy a bit of freedom financially.

Check out accommodation - you cant go past www.allhomes.com.au as that is where pretty much everything gets advertised these days.

As a place to live, you could do a lot worse than Canberra - there is plenty to do, excellent facilities, 4 seasons weather, close to beach, snow and big city if the mood takes you. It can be pretty insular, most families are dual income with both needing to work to service huge mortgages. Getting into a Canberra clique (if that's what you want) can be a bit tricky and you might find that relationships are quite transient as the population is quite itinerant (Public Servants most of them). If there is a change of government in September then Canberra will cop quite a bit as they will slash the bloated public service and in the past that has led to a downturn in real estate etc.

Good luck

kabodhi May 4th 2013 9:39 am

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a daughter but she is currently in the middle of her A levels and shall remain here in the UK until those are completed then come out on a working holiday visa. I am not married and my partner is happy to come so will be the two of us, or the worse case scenario i would be coming on my own if she decides at the last min its not for her.

The job i have been offered is $72,400 a year, a bit below the avarage wage. I will not be looking to buy anywhere, just rent something small, such as a 1 bed apartment, which by looking, i can see are very expensive.

I do realise Canberra is an expensive place to live, but that doesnt put me off as i am more looking forward to the experience and new oppotunities. i live quite simply and this is something i feel i would be mad to turn down, even if it mean i will struggle for a bit.
Also, as i previous stated, i am in the fortunate position where i have nothing to loose, if, after 6 months i find i dont like it, i can just come back, no harm done.

What would you suggest the best plan would be regarding renting a property, find one when i get there or secure something from this end?
Do you know what kind of bond the agents require on an apartment? I notice they advertise prices of properties by the week and not monthly as they do over here.

Matt

commonwealth May 4th 2013 11:17 am

Perhaps your sponsor could be a good source of info.

quoll May 4th 2013 6:18 pm

You wont get anything permanent before you arrive and neither would you want to sign up for something you havent seen first hand (check out the neighbours!). Most people get a holiday rental for a few weeks (say a month) and then they sort out something longer term from there. There are some holiday lets advertised on allhomes otherwise www.stayz.com.au is another source of short term lets. They usually require a bond which can be anything up to a month's rent and they usually want a month's rent in advance.

Your salary is on the low side but if you dont lash out it should just about cover you. Your partner will probably also be working, I am guessing, so two incomes will be better than one (if she comes with you). You might want to live in the inner city suburbs - more apartments but quite a bit of competition from students and they arent cheap by any means. It really rather depends on where you will be living - you dont want to live in Civic if you are working in Tuggeranong! You will probably need a car, most Canberrans find they do, especially if you want to see the countryside. Public transport is passable and the bikepaths are good.

It might be a good idea to take a career break if you currently have a good steady job. It sounds like you can have a risk free adventure and Canberra will probably be quite unlike anything else you may have experienced!

Check out http://the-riotact.com/ for what is going on in Canberra from the horse's mouth!

commonwealth May 4th 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by kabodhi (Post 10691523)
The job i have been offered is $72,400 a year

Is this plus 9% super or includes super?

If this is plus super, take home pay after taxes and medicare levy is approx $1081 per week. I think this is comfortable income if you find accom for more or less $300 pw and you are not a big spender and without a dependant. Not sure how much rents in Canberra are.

I have a friend in Sydney who earns similar salary to yours. After 3 years he was able to save 20% deposit for a new apartment which he is paying thru mortgage now. He's doing just fine. Not a big spender. And Sydney is much more expensive than Canberra.

kabodhi May 5th 2013 12:59 pm

Thank you for your replies and through these I have set a few questions to my employer, particularly the question of super as asked by Commonwealth

Many thanks,

Matt

Budawang May 5th 2013 9:09 pm

You might want to consider sharing a house if it's just you. $200 per week is possible although I'd pay a bit more to be in a good part of town, get around by bike instead of buying a car. Sharing a house might even kick start you social life. There are strategies for making Canberra more affordable without denting your quality of life too much.

commonwealth May 6th 2013 8:27 am

Agreed. The move you save in the beginning the more you could accumulate a deposit for your first home in oz if you want to stay perm and have a home of ur own. It's usually the early years that require sacrifice.