Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra. How come...

Canberra. How come...

Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra. How come...

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Honestly Chris - I'm amazed your keyboard didn't explode in horror at this gross hypocrisy.
I just spat my earl grey all over the keyboard
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra might have plenty of good things going for it, but the weather this summer has been terrible. The last couple of days have been wet, wet, wet with more rain forecast until Monday.

The first couple of years I was here it was dry as a dog's biscuit.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Canberra might have plenty of good things going for it, but the weather this summer has been terrible. The last couple of days have been wet, wet, wet with more rain forecast until Monday.

The first couple of years I was here it was dry as a dog's biscuit.
This is the wettest place I have ever lived

Did you see the storm drain that runs through Lyneham yesterday afternoon? It was a raging torrent at 5pm and looked close to bursting it's banks.

Last edited by paulry; Mar 1st 2012 at 2:02 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

To be fair the rain has also been in Sydney and across the NSW.. it aint just Canberra getting wet..
Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:04 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you would like that

Originally Posted by northernbird
I just spat my earl grey all over the keyboard
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

Did you see the storm drain that runs through Lyneham yesterday afternoon? It was a raging torrent at 5pm and looked close to bursting it's banks.
Yeah but there were 7 or 8 years there where there was no bloody rain at all, the dams were down and you would go for weeks just scouring the BOM site for a little blue patch which would, invariably split and pass to the north and south of the ACT. Now that was incredibly depressing (more suicides in droughts than there are in floods!)

One thing I am missing by being in UK is seeing how high Lake George gets - if anyone has any pics of how full it is now, I'd love to see them. I've been through a couple of totally dry periods and a full to the brim period (they reckon that the new road could get flooded as it was built in a drought period and all the old timers tut tutted and predicted that the water would overtop it at some stage.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:48 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
One thing I am missing by being in UK is seeing how high Lake George gets - if anyone has any pics of how full it is now, I'd love to see them. I've been through a couple of totally dry periods and a full to the brim period (they reckon that the new road could get flooded as it was built in a drought period and all the old timers tut tutted and predicted that the water would overtop it at some stage.
We drove past Lake George on Friday. It was dry.

We did comment that it wouldn't stay dry long as I am a bona fide rain queen - didn't think I'd have such an effect quite so quickly.

We were also amazed at how low the road was!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We drove to Canberra just after Christmas and I was surprised to see that it wasn't that full at all. There certainly was water at the south end (where it always fills first) but it took a good few k's along the highway before it came into view.

It might be different now - two months later. Lake George is a funny one - I've also seen it full to the brim and bone-dry. Apparantly its catchment is fairly small so unless there's been a lot of rain very locally it doesn't fill as much as you would expect.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:00 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
There we go! Easily answered!

To be honest iv never heard anything about there ever. What's it like? Just a normal capital city??
No that was the 'Im a citizen of Australia'answer,she was prob typing naked,pissed and singing ' tie me possum down sport'
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:02 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but there were 7 or 8 years there where there was no bloody rain at all, the dams were down and you would go for weeks just scouring the BOM site for a little blue patch which would, invariably split and pass to the north and south of the ACT. Now that was incredibly depressing (more suicides in droughts than there are in floods!)

Pardon
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
No that was the 'Im a citizen of Australia'answer,she was prob typing naked,pissed and singing ' tie me possum down sport'
I thought you'd disconnected that webcam!!!

Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:14 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I thought you'd disconnected that webcam!!!

The lads in me local insisted i kept up the payments,PS,wave to the boys
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
The lads in me local insisted i kept up the payments,PS,wave to the boys
No good, I'm at work now I can do them a display and a wave tonight though if they'd like to reconvene later

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 1st 2012 at 10:18 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 2:46 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

moon the queen you queenslanders.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 6:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

I've got to take Mrs Wol to the John James hospital in Canberra on Monday and we're a bit concerned that the road round Lake George might be flooded - do you know of any sites that have information? The NSW RTA site is useless - it doesn't even know where Canberra is! for god's sake, it's only the capital!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.