Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra. How come...

Canberra. How come...

Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra. How come...

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We went for a weekend couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if we even saw any other people other than in the hotel.

Dull. I wouldn't live there.
You have to leave the hotel to see people LOL

There are usually plenty of people around but if your hotel was in Barton and it was the weekend, then, no you wont see too many, like the City of London is dead at the weekend as well.

it's far from dull, I dont know why people get that impression! Some times of year are better than others but you cant move in the place come Floriade, Canberra Festival, multicultural festival, Summernats, Folk Festival, Skyfire etc etc.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You have to leave the hotel to see people LOL

There are usually plenty of people around but if your hotel was in Barton and it was the weekend, then, no you wont see too many, like the City of London is dead at the weekend as well.
We left the hotel, I said we only saw people when we were in the hotel, i.e. the streets were deserted. Not sure if we were in Barton or not (never heard of it), we stayed at the Hyatt.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We left the hotel, I said we only saw people when we were in the hotel, i.e. the streets were deserted. Not sure if we were in Barton or not (never heard of it), we stayed at the Hyatt.
The Hyatt is kind of removed from the rest of the city...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Lived there for a few years, it certainly was not for me. I found it dull, insular, cold, completely lacking in diversity (i could go on).

On the upside, good for cycling, a couple of great public swimming pools...give me a while, I am sure I can come up with at least one other positive......
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Kate D will become famous soon enough

I've been there for a few weekends (in-laws live there). On paper, it's well designed, functional, wonderful art galleries, musuems, pedestrian/bicycle friendly, etc, etc. But it has no soul. None. A friend of mine described it as the Milton Keynes of Australia. That about summed it up: well designed, on paper there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And yet, it still has no soul! To me, soul is an ambience, a coffee culture, a feel, an atmosphere, a chill out zone. Milton Keynes and Canberra somehow don't tick the boxes...

Sorry if you live in Canberra or MK...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:05 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate D
I've been there for a few weekends (in-laws live there). On paper, it's well designed, functional, wonderful art galleries, musuems, pedestrian/bicycle friendly, etc, etc. But it has no soul. None. A friend of mine described it as the Milton Keynes of Australia. That about summed it up: well designed, on paper there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And yet, it still has no soul! To me, soul is an ambience, a coffee culture, a feel, an atmosphere, a chill out zone. Milton Keynes and Canberra somehow don't tick the boxes...

Sorry if you live in Canberra or MK...
Soul is somehow related, even distantly, to the consumption of what is, invariably, overpriced coffee?

Milton Keynes has a Bowl, I saw Guns And Roses there, happy days.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kate D
, a coffee culture,
what exactly is a coffee culture? I am amazed at the obsession Canberrans have for coffee - and the number of different coffee bars they seem to frequent.

Also, I see your in Rhodes.. I was in Rhodes this week. Taxi from my house to airside at Canberra airport 22 minutes. Flight time from Canberra to Sydney 25 minutes. Time spent in taxi from Kingsford-Smith to Concord Rd, Rhodes? 1h 20m and a charge of $96. Madness!

Last edited by zultan; Feb 24th 2012 at 7:43 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I never understood why more migrants don't come here. It has the highest incomes in the country, the most educated population, Australia's best university, an excellent public school system, a healthy climate, beaches and skiing within 2.5 hours drive, great infrastructure, beautiful countryside nearby, COSTCO, an easy weekend drive to Sydney, a growing population and lots of jobs. My frequent weekend trips to Sydney (for that big city fix) make me realise that I can have the best of both worlds.

The issue of the Australian Citizenship requirement does turn some people off, but this place has to be a paradise for tradies or anyone servicing all those public servants, pollies, diplomats and academics.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:18 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
I never understood why more migrants don't come here.
From my visits it just seems very sterile and bland - purely personal opinion of course. I've always thought it could be a great place for clean living people who enjoy powerwalking around lakes at 5am. It's certainly not for me!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:25 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

and certainly no gay clubs...
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by commonwealth
and certainly no gay clubs...
'cept this one: http://cubenightclub.com.au/
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra's well know for its vice.

http://www.vixen.com.au/parties/party.asp?state=ACT
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:23 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

omg that's a swingers site! you will be banned for life!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commonwealth
omg that's a swingers site! you will be banned for life!
Nothing very saucy on it though.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Canberra's well know for its vice.

http://www.vixen.com.au/parties/party.asp?state=ACT
Extremist views too ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.