Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra. How come...

Canberra. How come...

Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra. How come...

Originally Posted by Wol
Still in Calvary: complications but hopefully I can drive down to pick her up at the end of this week. Thanks for asking .
Good luck with all that.

By the way, there have been some terrible delays due to roadworks on the Hume highway near Goulburn. My 2.5 hour run from Sydney took 4.5 hours with the traffic backed up for kilometres. The worst part was the workers had gone home by the short stretch of road they were working on.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Good luck with all that.

By the way, there have been some terrible delays due to roadworks on the Hume highway near Goulburn. My 2.5 hour run from Sydney took 4.5 hours with the traffic backed up for kilometres. The worst part was the workers had gone home by the short stretch of road they were working on.
Yes, I've been through them several times the last week: just like the M25!
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Still in Calvary: complications but hopefully I can drive down to pick her up at the end of this week. Thanks for asking .
for the end of this week then!!!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
for the end of this week then!!!
She's just phoned - she hasn't seen the surgeon and has just found out that he thought she had gone home several days ago!

Unbelievable - she's still got major problems and no way is able to leave hospital.

I'm tempted to say it could only happen in - no, I'd better not be accused again of whingeing.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
She's just phoned - she hasn't seen the surgeon and has just found out that he thought she had gone home several days ago!

Unbelievable - she's still got major problems and no way is able to leave hospital.

I'm tempted to say it could only happen in - no, I'd better not be accused again of whingeing.
Sorry to hear that. I've always had excellent care at JJ and have been fortunate with the surgeons I have had there too. Hope they can sort out a way to get her home safely in the not too distant future!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 11:46 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Sorry to hear that.

I hope they get their act together soon so that your wife can properly recover and go home.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:25 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Sorry to hear that.

I hope they get their act together soon so that your wife can properly recover and go home.
Thanks - it's a bit (!) off-topic anyway
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Thanks - it's a bit (!) off-topic anyway
Since when have topics been strenuously adhered to?

Drop me a line if there's anything I can help with.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 3:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
Since when have topics been strenuously adhered to?

Drop me a line if there's anything I can help with.
Cheers - have PMd you.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Lucy Loose Nut is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm an ex pat living in Canberra and love it here! Been to Sydney and it was horrendous. Can't move for people and it's dirty and has tramps sleeping in shop doorways in the middle of the city which was a shock. Sydney is okay to visit and then leave. Canberra doesn't have as many people which makes it so much easier to get from A to B. I've found the people to be very nice, friendly and helpful. The weather is also good here (lovely summers and autumn is truly spectacular). Although the winters can be cold, the days are usually crisp with lots of blue skies. I managed to get a job fairly easily with a very good wage I might add.

There is plenty to do here but I think most people have already mentioned that. I find it quite insulting how the Aussies pooh-pooh Canberra and talk about it like it is hell on earth or something! To compare it with Milton Keynes is just laughable if not ridiculous. I note that many people (Aussies)haven't even been here so how would they know what it was like? I am fit and healthy living here with good clean air (unlike the other major cities which are extremely polluted). I can ride my bike almost anywhere without any trouble or a zillion drivers knocking me off the road as there are so many cycle tracks. There are some very good restaurants here, great shopping malls and the best thing is that you can get around without huge, major traffic delays. The education system is also superb and it's a great city to bring up your children too.

All in all I'm glad I emigrated here as it is unspoilt, clean, has beautiful scenery and plenty to do sooooooooooo ...... there!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:09 am
Just Joined

odowdchr is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anybody see the Robin Archer speech last week? Quite good and a real jocular dig at the media over here...."Canberra" gets blamed for everything when it's the politicians from all over Oz that make the decisions.
It's like when Americans blame "Washington" for bad decisions......it's not the actual city of Washington that's done anything wrong, just the people who gather there. People end up forming a warped opinion without actually ever going there.
My own view....Canberra is wonderful and very underrated. It suffers from it's difference compared to everywhere else, but it's a designed City and works well....it's just structured. This can be called "bland"....but it works for me.
Flew back from Sydney this afternoon....took off at 1.30pm and walked through the front door in Canberra at 2.45. It used to take me longer to go 20km's to get home from work in the UK.
One thing that everybody says, including the Aussies....it needs more decent pubs and a few more "earthier" joints.
From what i can see...it goes from wine bars straight to bogan "dives" with nothing in between. There's a bit of character missing occasionally....but with a good crew of mates you make your own atmosphere.

Last edited by odowdchr; Apr 9th 2012 at 10:11 am.