Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra. How come...

Canberra. How come...

Old Feb 26th 2012, 6:42 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canberra. How come...

Canberra coffee is awful. I was a federal public servant for a year. 8 trips to Canberra later and I hope never again.

The place is so horribly public service and blandly average in a way that only public servants could conceive. There is not much wrong but so little right about the place. I reckon there must be a seriously seedy side to somewhere like Canberra but I never found it. Not sure if it is sado masochism, swinging or speedo lovin.
Originally Posted by zultan
what exactly is a coffee culture? I am amazed at the obsession Canberrans have for coffee - and the number of different coffee bars they seem to frequent.

Also, I see your in Rhodes.. I was in Rhodes this week. Taxi from my house to airside at Canberra airport 22 minutes. Flight time from Canberra to Sydney 25 minutes. Time spent in taxi from Kingsford-Smith to Concord Rd, Rhodes? 1h 20m and a charge of $96. Madness!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Canberra coffee is awful. I was a federal public servant for a year. 8 trips to Canberra later and I hope never again.

The place is so horribly public service and blandly average in a way that only public servants could conceive. There is not much wrong but so little right about the place. I reckon there must be a seriously seedy side to somewhere like Canberra but I never found it. Not sure if it is sado masochism, swinging or speedo lovin.
There's plenty of good coffee these days and it's not hard to find. Lots of good restaurants too, bike paths everywhere and a couple of lakes and rivers. I can hop on my bike and ride the National Gallery, with its world class exhibitions, or visit nearby vineyards and truffle farms. This is the view from behind my house.
Attached Thumbnails Canberra. How come...-large_canberra_i..ng__16_.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is it, blandly average and full of public servants. My brother lives near by and says it literally has nothing to recommend it. I liken it to Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by IvanM

Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:28 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Bland, average and good for an APS.
Originally Posted by Budawang
There's plenty of good coffee these days and it's not hard to find. Lots of good restaurants too, bike paths everywhere and a couple of lakes and rivers. I can hop on my bike and ride the National Gallery, with its world class exhibitions, or visit nearby vineyards and truffle farms. This is the view from behind my house.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

A good pic complete with another approaching storm cloud. And didn't it rain buckets a few hours ago! I can't work out your location even with the tower as a landmark. I'm probably way off but are you in Tuggeranong?

For what it's worth I think it's great here. The coffee bars are a tad expensive though. Make that: everything's a tad expensive
Old Feb 26th 2012, 7:40 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

More than 85 per cent of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast for a reason. Canberra is more than 50 KM from the beach.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
More than 85 per cent of Australians live within 50 kilometres of the coast for a reason. Canberra is more than 50 KM from the beach.
Thank goodness, seen one beach seen them all IMHO.

Anyway, who said there was nothing in Canberra - there were diving pigs this weekend http://the-riotact.com/diving-pigs-at-the-show/66383

I am always bemused by the "bland" bit - what has to happen for it not to be bland? traffic jams? (check), ghettos? (we have them), coffee shops? (yup, and contrary to assertions above, some very good ones), nice restaurants? (yup, you could dine out at a different one every night and still not get through them), hoons? (yup, you dont have to go too far to find them), graffiti (yup, not too far for that either), shopping centres? (plenty of them), interest groups (lots of them).

So, because it takes you just over an hour to get to a nice surf beach (and if you lived in Dandenong it would take you the same time!) it is bland? Is that it?

If you have to live at the ar$e end of the universe then Canberra is as good a place as any to live in! Having recently been to MK I can testify that Canberra is nothing like MK - apart from some of the "artwork" AND MK has an Ikea which Canberra doesnt!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
A good pic complete with another approaching storm cloud. And didn't it rain buckets a few hours ago! I can't work out your location even with the tower as a landmark. I'm probably way off but are you in Tuggeranong?

For what it's worth I think it's great here. The coffee bars are a tad expensive though. Make that: everything's a tad expensive
I'm in Hackett in the inner North. Close to the Federal Highway so I can easily escape to Sydney.

Some nice places I go to within two hours of Canberra (Canberra is great if you like the outdoors).

Canberra. How come...-p1020825.jpg

Canberra. How come...-746.jpg

Canberra. How come...-bens-pictures-155.jpg
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Hackett in the inner North. Close to the Federal Highway so I can easily escape to Sydney.

Some nice places I go to within two hours of Canberra (Canberra is great if you like the outdoors).

Attachment 105600

Attachment 105598

Attachment 105599
I'm in the next suburb to you, and so near to Northbourne that we can hear the traffic.

Nice photos. The beach looks like one we visited a couple of years ago during our validation trip, certainly a beautiful one.

The snow scene were hoping to see lots of this winter now that we're settled here and can afford more day trips. In fact we're hoping to take the boys ski-ing if we can.

Here in Canberra wifey and I believe we mostly have the best of all worlds. Sydney when we want it, low congestion, ease to get to the coast, good schools for the kids, good infrastructure (though the internet could be better ). The only real gripes we have is the difficulty we had to get our first jobs and the transient nature of the population here meaning that our kids: just when they look to be developing friendships (a much harder job for my sociable, sporty, fun loving boys than we expected), their parents up sticks and move on. And havent seen any of the previously talked-about drugs culture since we got here - which is a relief.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 10:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll
Thank goodness, seen one beach seen them all IMHO.

Anyway, who said there was nothing in Canberra - there were diving pigs this weekend http://the-riotact.com/diving-pigs-at-the-show/66383

I am always bemused by the "bland" bit - what has to happen for it not to be bland? traffic jams? (check), ghettos? (we have them), coffee shops? (yup, and contrary to assertions above, some very good ones), nice restaurants? (yup, you could dine out at a different one every night and still not get through them), hoons? (yup, you dont have to go too far to find them), graffiti (yup, not too far for that either), shopping centres? (plenty of them), interest groups (lots of them).

So, because it takes you just over an hour to get to a nice surf beach (and if you lived in Dandenong it would take you the same time!) it is bland? Is that it?

If you have to live at the ar$e end of the universe then Canberra is as good a place as any to live in! Having recently been to MK I can testify that Canberra is nothing like MK - apart from some of the "artwork" AND MK has an Ikea which Canberra doesnt!!!!
Thank God for that!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, quite a few of us Inner Northers then - our place is in Ainslie!
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:23 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a Starbucks in Canberra???
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Is there a Starbucks in Canberra???
There used to be but Starbucks pretty much went out of business because they couldn't compete with the great local coffee shops. Americans selling coffee to the rest of the world? How was that ever going to work?
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm in the next suburb to you, and so near to Northbourne that we can hear the traffic.

Nice photos. The beach looks like one we visited a couple of years ago during our validation trip, certainly a beautiful one.

The snow scene were hoping to see lots of this winter now that we're settled here and can afford more day trips. In fact we're hoping to take the boys ski-ing if we can.

Here in Canberra wifey and I believe we mostly have the best of all worlds. Sydney when we want it, low congestion, ease to get to the coast, good schools for the kids, good infrastructure (though the internet could be better ). The only real gripes we have is the difficulty we had to get our first jobs and the transient nature of the population here meaning that our kids: just when they look to be developing friendships (a much harder job for my sociable, sporty, fun loving boys than we expected), their parents up sticks and move on. And havent seen any of the previously talked-about drugs culture since we got here - which is a relief.
Welcome to the inner north!

While I like Canberra, I do find the locals are hard to get to know. I guess it's a combination of the transience, the fact that it is magnet for young and ambitious public servants who want to get ahead (you'd be surprised how work obsessed some of them are) and perhaps the general public service culture which is a bit dysfunctional. I think Canberra would be better if it had some light industry and more regular people.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Canberra for work - and then became a student again and Partner also moved with work.

We are in our late 20's and love Canberra, don't know why everyone goes on about it being bland.

I'm currently living in Europe until August this year and have been here since June last year, while I'm in the heart of central Europe I still miss Canberra and I'm looking forward to returning, I was there for a few weeks at Christmas to see the other half and loved it again. People here (the ones who know what Canberra is) make fun of it, without having ever been to Canberra, or in many cases Australia, and while it's great here, I still think sometimes it felt like Canberra has more going on.

I think Canberra has something for everyone, I find the night life decent, there is always something on, no matter what you are into, every week my partner is texting about going to some festival, concert, party, exhibition etc... it's always been like that, and I have never been bored in Canberra.

You have to remember, Canberra has a lot of young people, you have all the new APS workers, the students for ANU, UC, CSU, ADF and that catholic uni, you have all the recruits for the AFP Academy, ASIS and ASIO graduates, the new Defence Force cadets, these people don't like to be "bored" or "bland" so there is always something happening, also find the night life safe and everything close.

We have the highest wages, the best education, a clean city, it's small but has everything that a big city has, not too far from the beach (but living 5 years in Sydney we probably only went to the beach 2 times - had and have a pool). Not far from the snow, and if I really need a big city feel just head to Sydney for the day or weekend. As for the coffee... well I'm a hot chocolate person, so plenty of cafes around, and with the amount of restaurants I find I eat out a lot more in Canberra than I did in Sydney.

Someone said Canberra doesn't have a soul, I think it does, it has a special feeling about it, and it also has a full 4 seasons, Autumn in Canberra is fantastic.

Personally, for me Canberra has the best of everything, we have all the best parts of a big city, without the not so best parts.

Looking forward to returning.

Only place I ever got bored in my life was Perth.

Last edited by canadaeh; Feb 26th 2012 at 4:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.