Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:00 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future
Default Re: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Hey Steve,
I think that the furniture here is a little more expensive here. Wendys 2 couches seemed to be a little on the expensive side to me when she told me how much she paid for them. There are some furniture shops in Fyshwick that do packages i.e. whole lounge room furnished for couple hundred quid. Have a look at theses company.

http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au/advantages.asp

On the other hand the Canberra times on saturday has a for sale section in it, with people selling second hand furniture. But, I guess you have to see for yourself mate.
Did you recieve those pictures okay? What did you think? Well I hope this helps you.
Jim
Jim

Sorry, forgot to say thanks on the pictures, rush hour looks good. Still I am used to 2 hour journey to work at present and before that it took 50 mins. Think I can handle 20 - 25 minutes to work. I expect the family will need to get some bikes when we get over, so much to see around the locality.

Cheers

Steve B
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:02 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,
Forgot to mention. I think you will find Canberra cheaper to live than the UK. If your renting you will not have to pay rates(council tax) whilst your renting. And even when buying your house you rates should be only £200- £400 a year. Petrol seems to go up and down all the time, Mondays and Tuesdays cheapest to fill. Mot for 12 months on my last car was £200, this includes third party insurance. Just meens if you run someone over your covered. In my opinion I belive Canberra is cheaper Steve, but, you my have a different opinion when you get there.
Jim
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:13 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

For all those folk's heading towards Canberra I thought you may find this of interest:

http://www.virtualcanberra.gov.au

Well we only have a few more weeks left in the UK, we fly on the 12 May 05, with a 3 night stopover in Singapore. House sale going through as I type and with a bit of luck will be complete on the 12 May.

Good luck to all those still awaiting Visa's and those still awaiting a buyer for their house.

Originally Posted by Sungold
Hi All, I'm hoping to be off to Canberra in the next couple of months assuming my ENS visa goes through OK so I thought I would canvas peoples opinion of Australias capital city. Why couldnt they have put it on the coast?

Everyone else on this forum seem to be going to more exciting places like Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane etc so there isnt much info on here about what life is like in Canberra.

I know people say it is full of politicians and boffins (have to admit I am one of the latter for my sins) but it has a lot of cultural stuff and its only 2 hours from the coast and not that much more form the mountains so there are positive things to look forward too in addition to the BBQs, wine, sun etc (scientists arent all mad guys in white coats as some people think).

In fact I am truely modern family man - for the last couple of years I have been a househusband and enjoyed it very much but now the tables are turned and its me who has got the job and my wife will look after the kids until she finds a job.

So I'd like to know peoples opinion of raising a family in Canberra. What are the good/not so good areas to live, schools, climate etc.

I'm coming out first to find a place to live and look at schools etc and the rest of the family will come when the kids have finished the school year back in Britain, so I will be separated from them for at least six months which I am not looking forward to.

I guess I'll be busy starting a new job and setting us up so hopefully the time will fly by.

Look forward to the replies
Oh and Ive heard that you cant get warm beer there
Steve
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking of doing an update and this message has reminded me.

Well its been just over three weeks since I arrived in sunny Canberra - and I emphasize SUNNY - I thought I would be leaving one winter and arrving for another but I have been very surprised by how good the autumn weather is here. At the weekend it was 30C and it will be 27C this weekend. Nearly every day is clear and sunny although the first few days we had a bit of rain.

I've found a good place to live and the commute to work (in downtown Canberra) is only ten minutes - 15 on a busy day. The road system is great here nice big dual carriageways. Ive been camping in a National Park just south of hte city, played a bit of tennis nad had some great walks round some of the many lakes in the city.

The food is great here - you wont believe the variety of fish they have and the great selection of meat all at very reasonable prices compared to the UK. While setting up my accomodation I have been surprised at the cost of bed linen though - most sets are poly cotton but if you want all cotton then expect to pay around $200 for a set! And the price of beds is ridiculous - if you want a very good matress then that can easily set you back 1500 to 2500 AUD. Since we have all that we wnat in the UK I have bought a futon sofa bed to tide me over until the family and furniture arrive and that cost me 1100 for a queen with and 8" mattress. Delivery was good though - next day and they called me at work 30min before so I could just pop out and meet tehm at home rather than take a day off work.

I've also bought a car in the govt auctions which I would recommned - much cheaper than going to a garage and they are all under 3 years old so still have the manufacturers warranty and are low mileage. But the hassles I have had getting credit and things like a mobile phone - seeing as I have not had an Oz address for the last 3 years. I would advise getting a medicare number and driving licence ASAP as this would smooth things over a lot. You can get an Oz driving licence just by going to the motor registry in Dickson - they punch a hole in the UK one but it should still be valid in the UK. You would need proof of address -I got a letter from my employer stating that I had a job and lived at such and such... The girl behind the counter was a brit who had been in Canberra fro five years and thought it was a great place to live.

I opened my bank account the day I arrived - I would print off a mini statment form an ATM as you can use this for ID purposes along with your passport driving licence etc. If you change address all you do is tell the motor registry and they send you a sticker with your new address and you stick this on the back of your licence!

So after 3 weeks I have an Oz licence, medicare number (no card yet), a place to live , a car, furniture, mobile phone (as of last night) and the only thing I still need to get is a credit card which I have left until I had an address rather than using the hotel address. You can get fee less cards but if you want one that gives you airmiles or a bonus program then you pay an annual fee.

Oh and I met Marie and Alan from this thread - I went to a sports club and had a couple of beers watching the footy (actually this is rugby) followed by a barbi. The Raiders are one of the local teams but I havent managed to figure out all the teams as they all have nicknames rather than placenames and there are several leagues here as well.

Thats about it for now except to say that we have an offer on our house but they havent sold theirs yet so I guess its a bit of a waiting game. We've had 15 viewings in four/five weeks.

Steve J

Originally Posted by RockHopper
For all those folk's heading towards Canberra I thought you may find this of interest:

http://www.virtualcanberra.gov.au

Well we only have a few more weeks left in the UK, we fly on the 12 May 05, with a 3 night stopover in Singapore. House sale going through as I type and with a bit of luck will be complete on the 12 May.

Good luck to all those still awaiting Visa's and those still awaiting a buyer for their house.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 9:52 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Steve. I'm glad everything seems to be working out for you. Your making me a little jealouse telling me about the weather. Glasgow is cold and wet. Anyway I hope you settle in well and good luck with it all. I'm looking to be back in Canberra around August. So maybe all that are going to Canberra could meet up for a beer or 2.
Jim
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:25 pm
zia

zia is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Canberra - good,bad or indifferent?

Just to update eveyone. We (Steve J. aka sungold and I) have accepted an offer on our house today (18 April). Hope that everything goes smoothly and we'll complete on 26 July. Our stuff should be shipped in the week beginning 27 June. I guess we just camp out in the house until school finishes.The kids and I are off to Oz on 6th August. I hope to go to Germany in between to see my family. Now it is up to Steve to find housing for us and a school for the kids. Australia, here we come! Can't wait to be there. Five months living apart is a long time.
Jutta
Old May 9th 2005, 8:16 am
Just Joined

AmARoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zia
Just to update eveyone. We (Steve J. aka sungold and I) have accepted an offer on our house today (18 April). Hope that everything goes smoothly and we'll complete on 26 July. Our stuff should be shipped in the week beginning 27 June. I guess we just camp out in the house until school finishes.The kids and I are off to Oz on 6th August. I hope to go to Germany in between to see my family. Now it is up to Steve to find housing for us and a school for the kids. Australia, here we come! Can't wait to be there. Five months living apart is a long time.
Jutta
Hi Jutta,
we are an Australian/German family and have just moved to Canberra, too. If you would like to know more send me an email: [email protected]
Hope to hearing from you
AmARoo
Old May 20th 2005, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Sungold is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Its Steve J here again. I was just wondering what has happened to all those people who were coming out to Canberra? Steve B should be here now and I'll try and contact him.

Its getting colder here now , freezing at night but still sunny during the day although we had a couple of showers yesterday.

Just noticed that its the Eurovision song contest on TV tonight but it wasnt the same without Terry Wogan (not that I was a regular viewer back home!). At least they show the footy over here live so I am going to watch the FAcup final live even if my team got thrashed in the semis.

Cheers
Steve
Old May 20th 2005, 2:37 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Things more interesting than Canberra:

Being locked in a concrete cell for a week with no lights.
A woman's views on anything more complex than what is the best hair spray.
Nightlife of Perth.
Australian culture (there is more in a tub of yogart)
Australian telivision, squeezed inbetween the commercials.
The lifestory of an Accountant.
What your dog had for dinner.
Conversational highlights of a women's night out.

Old May 31st 2005, 2:01 am
Princess Haggis

Steelie22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sungold
Hi Kristine, Wow that makes only two people on this forum who are going to Canberra ! At least it wont be crowded.

No I work with plants not people.

BTW I went to university in Brum many years ago.

Steve
Hi,

I moved to Canberra from Edinburgh three weeks ago after my de facto spouse visa was granted (with Canberran boyf) and to be honest I am feeling the difference quite a lot..

Unfortuneately for me I live way out in suburbia with boyf's family, don't have car and am feeling a bit at a loose end after leaving my crazy life in Scotland! T o me it seems like too quiet a place and not much happens. We are talking about leaving in a few months as I may tear my hair out if I have to stay too long! However, it has only been a few weeks, so things might pick up...

Marion
Old May 31st 2005, 2:28 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Steelie22
Hi,

I moved to Canberra from Edinburgh three weeks ago after my de facto spouse visa was granted (with Canberran boyf) and to be honest I am feeling the difference quite a lot..

Unfortuneately for me I live way out in suburbia with boyf's family, don't have car and am feeling a bit at a loose end after leaving my crazy life in Scotland! T o me it seems like too quiet a place and not much happens. We are talking about leaving in a few months as I may tear my hair out if I have to stay too long! However, it has only been a few weeks, so things might pick up...

Marion
Get a Bus Ticket - $80 / month - unlimited travel.

The place is a bit shabby at the moment due to severe drought and the 2003 January fires.

I like spending an afternoon reading in the National Library on occassional visits. BookPlate inside library cafe is good.