Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra or Cairns

Canberra or Cairns

Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future
Default Canberra or Cairns

Hi Folks -

I really need some advise or ideas. I have been offered a job in North Queensland - looks amazing and hubby and two son's like the look of the area. However a new opportunity has came up, Ive been offered similar job in Canberra. Both posts pay pretty much same and have similar packages - although the Canberra one offers lots more by way of relocation package!
However at the end of the day the relocation pakage is not enough to base where i should move my whole family too, Does anyone have experience of either area and offer an opinion? I have a 16 and 12 year old, hubby an engineer - IMO cairns looks stunning and looks to be a good place for a family - I have not done anywhere near as much research on Canberra
Would love any comments good or bad,

Thanks Angi
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra or Cairns

Chalk and cheese really! Canberra is, in its own way, stunning but it isnt a tropical beach resort!!!!

We arent on the coast - takes about 90 minutes to get to some very pleasant beaches. Much more temperate climate so it isnt hot and humid like Cairns but we have 4 distinct seasons - winter is just on its way and we had our first frost last night -1C but it can go down to overnights of -7C but winter days up to 10 -12C. Summers are hot and dry although there is variability in that - some weeks can sit in the 30Cs but most are mid - high 20Cs. Still on water restrictions from the drought although our dams are heading towards 50% now which is an improvement.

Lots of excellent facilities here because it is the national capital. Only 3+ hours drive to Sydney if you fancy a weekend in the big smoke. Wherever you stand in Canberra you can see the bush (that's why they call it the bush capital). More options for employment really, especially if you are IT/clerical. Reasonable schools - govt and a very thriving non govt sector. More Olympic size swimming pools than in the whole of UK. Good opportunities for kids - sport, artistic etc. We are also close to the snow fields - 2 hours drive will take you to some pretty good snow starting about now and going through to October.

You wont get mildew on your clothes/books/other posessions if you come here but you will need to bring your fleece!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angib
Hi Folks -

I really need some advise or ideas. I have been offered a job in North Queensland - looks amazing and hubby and two son's like the look of the area. However a new opportunity has came up, Ive been offered similar job in Canberra. Both posts pay pretty much same and have similar packages - although the Canberra one offers lots more by way of relocation package!
What kind of visa are you going to be on?

If temporary, there is a school fees issue in the ACT to consider.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

Thanks people - Jaj - I had forgotten about that part - they are offering PR but temp to get us over quicker while the 175 is ongoing. Appreciate all the advise - we were all set on one option and now my head is scrambled!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:42 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd forget about the relocation package and choose strictly on where you want to live.

Personally I'd choose Cairns in a heartbeat, but that's just me. Maybe there's a reason why they need to offer a bigger relocation package!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

ACT school fees - the scuttlebutt is that if your occupation is listed on MODL then they wont charge fees (would love that in writing though!) and the Catholic system dont charge additional fees, just the going rate for people on 457s.

All depends on how you handle the heat really and what sort of future education/employment you would be looking at for your kids.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing in common between Canberra and Cairns is that they are both small cities. Oh, and the people mostly speak English.

Although I've visited Cairns a few times, it's hard to get an idea what it would be like living there. If you don't like high humidity and heat, Canberra would be better. Canberra is also much closer to the big cities - Cairns is almost 1,700 km from Brisbane! Being the capital, Canberra has many of the advantages of a big city without the hassles. Cairns is also very touristy which might irritate me after a while, but it does mean there are heaps of things to do and I'm sure you can get away from the tourists if you want to.

One negative with Canberra is that most jobs are with the Public Service and this places restrictions on people who aren't Australian citizens. You should also consider that there will be spending cuts to the public service in the May budget and this will hit Canberra's economy. Public servants, although better educated than the average, aren't always as open and warm as people from other parts of the country. I just came back from a few days in Byron Bay and was very impressed at how friendly and laid back people were.

If you love diving or sailing I would be very attracted to Cairns.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

I live in Canberra and have visited Cairns three times for holiday.

Cairns is a great place to visit, however I would not like to live there. It is way too hot and humid for me. Going on a holiday is one thing but living and working in that enviroment is another.

I have lived in Canberra for 12 years and just love the climate. It doesnt get too hot for many days at a time during the summer. In winter you will have 18 to 20 degrees during the day but down to -6 degrees overnight in winter.

I have never been without a job in that time. I have been in the public service for over 10 years in different departments including local and federal government bodies. I cant comment on schools as we dont have children but the whole way of life suits me just fine. We live out of town and travel into the city for work. Travel is not a problem as there are great roads in the ACT.

Sydney is just down the road (3 hours drive) Melbourne is 6 hours drive the other way. The gold coast is only 12 hours drive so much is within your reach. I think you might be a bit isolated in Cairns compared to Canberra. Both definately have their advantages but my choice is Canberra.

Good Luck

Barney

Last edited by POW148; Apr 29th 2008 at 10:10 am.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:00 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
I live in Canberra and have visited Cairns three times for holiday.

Cairns is a great place to visit, however I would not like to live there. It is way too hot and humid for me. Going on a holiday is one thing but living and working in that enviroment is another.

I have lived in Canberra for 12 years and just love the climate. It doesnt get too hot for many days at a time during the summer. In winter you will have 18 to 20 degrees during the day but down to -6 degrees overnight in winter.

I have never been without a job in that time. I have been in the public service for over 10 years in different departments including local and federal government bodies. I cant comment on schools as we dont have children but the whole way of life suits me just fine. We live out of town and travel into the city for work. Travel is not a problem as there are great roads in the ACT.

Sydney is just down the road (3 hours drive) Melbourne is 6 hours drive the other way. The gold coast is only 12 hours drive so much is within your reach. I think you might be a bit isolated in Cairns compared to Canberra. Both definately have their advantages but my choice is Canberra.

Good Luck

Barney
its all well and good having all these cities on your doorstop. but really, how many times a year do you visit them? its not like cairns doesnt have an airport. unless your going to visit these places every month i wouldnt use it as a basis of somewhere to live.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

I've lived in both cities.

As Quoll said Chalk n Chees.

They are both very different. Canberra as a city is both larger geographically and by population. Canberra is a planned city, which for the uninitiated can be a little confusing. Like anywhere, this can be both an advantage or disadvantage depending on what rocks your boat.

Both are family orientated with plenty of sporting options.

At this stage of my life Cairns ticks the boxes for me. Yes the wet season can be a PIB at times when the rain never seems to stop but then that magnificent green backdrop depends on it so you accept it. But then the winters here are just fantastic. Footwear is optional & shorts more than comfortable even in the 'dead' of winter. The benefit is my young'un is hardly seen moping around the home because it is too cold. He's currently into riding his bike down the range from Kuranda and probably anywhere else he can take his bicycle.

The lifestyle is very laid back which suits me. Getting around Cairns is still very easy although Bix's one man Cairns promotion program is paying off and the area is growing rapidly. Blame him if you get stuck in a traffic jamb or cant park outside your favourite shop.

Cairns is also a little 'edgy' in that you are much more aware of your environment and consequently appreciate the interaction/interdependencies a lot more ie cyclones, big lizards (crocs), stingers, etc. I don't see this as a bad thing. It seems a lot of other Cairns residents dont mind either.

Good luck with your choice.

WW
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:40 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra sounds wonderful
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the help guys - i really appreciate insight from people who live there -
Bix i'm surprised at you - have i not read lots of 'Cairn's' posts from you - or are you feeling a little over populated
Cheers anyway all!! Will keep you posted on what i decide - agh!!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angib
Bix i'm surprised at you - have i not read lots of 'Cairn's' posts from you - or are you feeling a little over populated
Oh sorry Ang, I didn't finish the post.

Canberra sounds wonderful

But I won the lottery and came to Cairns where in the Lords atlas has it listed under "utopia".
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

I know it kind of looks that way to me too!!! and i realy do think thats what i want
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

I have lived in Canberra for 3 years.

Canberra is as interesting as standing in front of a brick wall!

I've done all the outdoors things, taken all the trips to the coast, snow, Sydney etc but its just dull, dull dull (and so are the majority of the city's inhabitants - BE's excluded!)

Sorry Canberra but I'd go with Cairns - if nothing else your experience will be a contrast to the UK and Canberra will still be here and desperately short of qualified people if Cairns does not work out in the long term.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.