Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 2:46 am
Just Joined

YYC_to_BNE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

One more hockey question, which is the closest rink to the CBD and what is the team called?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Acacia Ridge (Club: Southern Stars) rink 14.8km 23mins driving (google)
Boondall (Club: Brisbane Buccaneers) rink 21.2 km 40mins driving (google)

I think the clubs have many teams with different names?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fish.01
Acacia Ridge (Club: Southern Stars) rink 14.8km 23mins driving (google)
Boondall (Club: Brisbane Buccaneers) rink 21.2 km 40mins driving (google)

I think the clubs have many teams with different names?
Yes, there's quite a few teams to choose from. You don't really get to pick one rink or the other though. The league plays at all the rinks (Acacia, Boondal and even on the Gold Coast) so you play all over. You do have a home rink though so to speak so they try to put more of your games there, but that's about it.

Basically you just have to call around and see who needs players.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

mike_calgary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default accounting job

Hi I am from Calgary and I am a CGA. I can get CPA pretty easily.

How is the job market for accountants in Oz? Do they place any value on Canadian experience?

Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: accounting job

I have a CGA too. Just went through the process of being an associate CPA and with 2 more courses will get the CPA. Lots of jobs in the accounting line and they value 'overseas experience'. check www.seek.com.au

Originally Posted by mike_calgary
Hi I am from Calgary and I am a CGA. I can get CPA pretty easily.

How is the job market for accountants in Oz? Do they place any value on Canadian experience?

Thanks a lot.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

mike_calgary is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dagaul101
As longas you can speak English, most countries in the world will value your experience (albeit the English speaking ones)

thanks for reply.

I noticed a lot of jobs. It seemes accountants are much more in demand than here in Canada.

I have no connections in Australia so I have no solid local feed back on the job market for foreign accountants. I sent an application while in Canada and I had an answer back stating that I should be in Oz to have reasonable chances to land a job. And that is a valid point.

Maybe an accountant who landed in Oz can share some of his/her job search experience. Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

You are right. Most recruiters will not talk to you unless you are here or will be here in 30 days. You could most probably talk to them about your experiences but if you want to be considered for roles you need to be in australia.

My experience has been to call the main recruiters in the city you land in, let them know you'll be in town 30 days in advance and book a time in advance if you to show them you are serious. Check the members jobs section on the CPA site too.

Once here have your CPA associate or CPA completed and show proof which goes a long way to reassuring them you have been 'validated' by the aussie governing body. The rest falls in place. I would be surprised if you did not get a role if qualified within 30 days if you follow the 2 steps above.

Compensation is about similar, with a lot more accounting roles available here as there are not as many qualified individuals. English and overseas western experience is considered valuable unlike canada where 'canadian experience' is a must and a roadblock to most migrants.

Originally Posted by mike_calgary
thanks for reply.

I noticed a lot of jobs. It seemes accountants are much more in demand than here in Canada.

I have no connections in Australia so I have no solid local feed back on the job market for foreign accountants. I sent an application while in Canada and I had an answer back stating that I should be in Oz to have reasonable chances to land a job. And that is a valid point.

Maybe an accountant who landed in Oz can share some of his/her job search experience. Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Hi there

I would like to ask a question to Canadians living in Brisbane please...

My wife is Canadian citizen (I am not) and we have been living in Europe for a few years now. We have a 4 year old daughter.

I know, shame on us, but we haven't applied for our daughter's Canadian passport yet (I am assuming we can!!!) . We don't have Canadian embassy in our country and thus would need to either fly to some other country or maybe apply online...

So, since we will be in Brisbane soon, was wondering if we can apply at some Canadian embassy there...anyone knows if this is possible? Also would you know what status would my daughter have in Canada???

Thanks!

Cheers
B!K3R