Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Sep 30th 2009, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Give it a go here but beware what seems like warmer weather actually feels pretty flippin cold. Especially when you see how the houses are built here. When we built ours the salesman was going on about how they have R3 insulation in the roof space. No insulation in the exterior walls at all - double brick with single pane windows. Last night was down to +5 here in Perth and we were sleeping with our flannel sheets, down duvet and extra blanket. Quite honestly even after 40 years in Canada I have never felt as cold as I do in Australia's winters.
Maybe you should move to Brisbane as well The cold nights are a distant memory here.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Maybe you should move to Brisbane as well The cold nights are a distant memory here.
My sister lives in Brisbane. Hence the reason I live in Perth.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alzo
Great. Love to get your advise as I can't decide between Brisbane or Melbourne. I hear Melbourne is more like Montreal...lots of culture while Brisbane has the tropical climate and a smaller city like Calgary.

Job wise there seems to be demand in either city so if you had to pick which city would you recommend?

Also how do find it after 4yrs? and where in australia are you?
FYI, Brisbane is a fair bit bigger than Calgary. Correct me if I'm wrong but Calgary metro area (Greater Calgary) is about 1.1 million where Greater Brisbane is approaching 2 million with another 500,000 nearby at the Gold and Sunshine coasts. So it may not be as small and peaceful as you are imagining if basing it off Calgary. Calgary reminds me of what Brisbane used to be like.

It also feels and looks different to Calgary in a lot of ways though I'm sure you realise this.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

it seems there are a lot of meetups between the brits...anything similar held by Canadians in any of the cities in australia?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 10:02 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

it seems there are a lot of meetups between the brits...anything similar held by Canadians in any of the cities in australia?
There are a few Canadian groups, not nearly as many though.

For example there is a Canadian Meetup group in Brisbane that I know of. They usually meet up for Thanksgiving, Canada day and quite a few times during the hockey playoffs to watch a game. Most often it seems to be right in the city, although I have seen a few at people houses I think.

http://canadian.meetup.com/207/

At the bottom you can see all current meetups and past meetups.

As far as I know there are similar type clubs in Sydney and Mebourne, not idea about the other cities though or how often they meet.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 11:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Canadians join the American clubs.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

We're from Edmonton and just arrived in Perth a month ago. Not sure if there's a Canadian meetup group here. There seem to be a few Canucks about though. My sister-in-law's neighbor is originally from Winnipeg.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

That's cold considering no insulation or lack of.....Dorothy how months of cold are we talking about?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

That's cold considering no insulation or lack of.....Dorothy how months of cold are we talking about?
I can't speak for Dorothy but I think there's only about 1-2 months of cold, usually during June-Aug in Brisbane. During that time we just use little space heaters in the house if it's really cold, or we turn the heat on (our air con also heats).

During those winter days I might put on a light jacket or sweater in the morning and then by afternoon I'm just wearing jeans and a t-shirt as long as it's not too windy. The temperatures were usually about 10-15 in the morning and about 20-25 in the afternoon, although overnight could be colder.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

phewww...... I can handle that....it's about 10 degrees today in Toronto.....
Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

On a separate note have you'll had to file both a canadian and an australian tax return annually? I am assuming you'll did not give up residency in canada.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

On a separate note have you'll had to file both a canadian and an australian tax return annually? I am assuming you'll did not give up residency in canada.
No, we didn't give up our citizenship in Canada. We are however considered non-residents as we have no residential ties there and are living in Australia as PR (now citizens actually).

So the first year we were here we did file a tax return as we were living in Canada until about May, so we were there part of the Canadian tax year. The last Canadian tax year, 2008, we were in Australia all year so we didn't file a Canadian return. I don't believe we had to although I will probably still do one just in case.

If you move to Australia but keep property in Canada then you would likely still be deemed a resident even though you are not actually living there. In that scenario you would still have to do a return I think.

As for Australia you will have to do a return every year you are living here.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:30 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Ah yes you pork the cor don't you!
I like it.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I think Perth is chillier in the winter than Brisbane. I have a friend in Brisbane who was swimming a few weeks ago. Here in Perth, even in Sept it was about 18C during the day and raining. Nights down to about 5C or so. There were quite a few chilly mornings here in the house when we raced to the heater and clicked it on. Nothing like a brick house with no insulation and no central heat in winter.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:56 am
Still alive

phewww...... I can handle that....it's about 10 degrees today in Toronto.....
Bear in mind that 10 will feel cold when you aclimatise to 30-35. It's still a 20-25 degree difference, so it's cold. In Perth our winter is about 2 1/2 or 3 months. July and August would be like January/February back home with it warming up a bit in September. It rains a lot in late July and then through August so that makes it feel even colder with the damp.

On the tax front, we did the same as Comet. We moved in August 2006 so filed a '06 return both in Canada and Australia. We ended up paying in Canada because of capital gains, but made up for it here with getting money back at tax time. Also like Comet we haven't filed any other returns for '07 or '08 and won't again for '09. We're not residents anymore so no need.

Spring seems to have finally arrived in Perth. It's been a glorious weekend with sunshine and temps in the mid 20's. We're all nicely pinked up from working in the back yard, windows are open and laundry is on the line. Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.