Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadians headed to Australia

Canadians headed to Australia

Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:09 am
Chrissy in Cold Canada

ToWAorBust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadians headed to Australia

Our lawn in Fort McMurray is very beautifull. For a very short time. Everyone on the block has sprinkler 24 7 and we all play the keep up with the Jones's attitude. very silly and a big waste of water. They finally banned weedkiller in the lawn fertilizer as it was going right down sewer to the river to the next towns drinking water.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ToWAorBust
Our lawn in Fort McMurray is very beautifull. For a very short time. Everyone on the block has sprinkler 24 7 and we all play the keep up with the Jones's attitude. very silly and a big waste of water. They finally banned weedkiller in the lawn fertilizer as it was going right down sewer to the river to the next towns drinking water.
Well, there's none of that green lawn crap here. Our front yard is yet to be landscaped, but we're going to have a tangerine tree to go with my lemon tree, and the rest is going to be succulents. No grass at all. The side yard is done in clay pavers, back is 50% taken up with the pool and the other 50% will be artificial grass under the clothesline. The only things that will need water are the fruit trees and a couple of jasmine I've planted along the back fence beside the pool.

OH wants a vegetable garden out back, so we may do a couple of raised beds next year but for now I'm happy to not have to water.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:21 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoy your lawn while you've got it. I swear most of our lawn is mostly weeds and we only need to mow it when the weeds get too tall. Can't really water it either because of the water restrictions. So it is what it is and people don't really care about the lawns anyway because they all pretty much look the same.

Doesn't much bother me anymore though as we usually sit out in the backyard by the pool and the palm trees
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Tim Horton's is vile. Putrid!!!!!!!!
So, I guess you won't be bringing me back a tin next time you're over?

And the coffee at McDonalds here, is it drip or another variety of flat white?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, different times here. First, the water rationing means everyone's lawn is varying shades of yellow, except for the ones with artificial grass. We're renting and are supposed to keep the lawn "green and healthy," but there's only so much you can do when watering twice a week and it's in the high 30s. Oh and I did have someone from the Water Corporation show up one day. The old tenants, for some weird reason, had the retic set to a second program in the afternoon (why? it's not allowed) so the Water Corp guy, driving by--lucky us, knocked on the door and asked why our retic was on at 1pm. He let us off with a warning when I explained.

Weed killer...they love it here for some reason. They banned weed and feed at home but it's still sold here and the local council still goes around spraying Round Up on every weed near a sidewalk. Back in Edmonton, our parks were full of dandelions and we didn't care.

If we build a house, no front lawn for us. Desert plants and rock. Maybe a small bit of lawn out back. It's such a waste of water really.

Last edited by Japonica; Jan 14th 2010 at 12:18 am.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
So, I guess you won't be bringing me back a tin next time you're over?

And the coffee at McDonalds here, is it drip or another variety of flat white?
No, I won't. Sorry. I brought back some last time I was over, we made it at home and promptly poured the pot out. I think Rotton Ron's here does the flat white stuff. It's not like the coffee in Canada.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, I won't. Sorry. I brought back some last time I was over, we made it at home and promptly poured the pot out. I think Rotton Ron's here does the flat white stuff. It's not like the coffee in Canada.
Yeah, well, it's the water too hey that impacts the flavor...Lord knows how Tim's coffee would taste with Perth water...okay, well you know. I can only imagine...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

dollys_girl will become famous soon enoughdollys_girl will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, well, it's the water too hey that impacts the flavor...Lord knows how Tim's coffee would taste with Perth water...okay, well you know. I can only imagine...
Do any Canadians out there actually drink the water in Perth or elsewhere in Oz? My husband told me it tasted vile so I've bought bottled water since we arrived.

Don't drink coffee to get into the Tim's/McDonalds/second cup debate but sure miss Starbucks for hot chocolate (with pepermint at Christmas) and Chocolate chip frappacinos when the weather is hot.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Green Hornet is an unknown quantity at this point

second cup coffee is always good but havnt had it for years since we have been in the vancouver area (Popular winnipeg and TO).

Tim hortens is Piss poor coffee .
In australia we actually switched to instant when i was there which is pretty common for us when we are travelling or new and havnt found a good coffee house or brand.

Question about shipping , People leaving from canada what container company did they use? we will be leaving from Vancouver?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:21 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollys_girl
Do any Canadians out there actually drink the water in Perth or elsewhere in Oz? My husband told me it tasted vile so I've bought bottled water since we arrived.

Don't drink coffee to get into the Tim's/McDonalds/second cup debate but sure miss Starbucks for hot chocolate (with pepermint at Christmas) and Chocolate chip frappacinos when the weather is hot.
We've always drank the water here, haven't noticed any difference.

I don't drink coffee either but my favourite hot chocolate was at Second Cup. I find the hot chocolate at Gloria Jeans to be pretty much the same here.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:24 pm
Still alive

We've always drunk the water here. In our rental it tasted odd in the summer so we fitted a filter to it, but in our new house it's fine. I did get bottled water for the summer though since the cold never seems to get cold enough from the tap.

When we lived in Adelaide I used to love to go to Starbucks for hot chocolate. I would have thought one would do well here.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:25 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by comet555
We've always drank the water here, haven't noticed any difference.

I don't drink coffee either but my favourite hot chocolate was at Second Cup. I find the hot chocolate at Gloria Jeans to be pretty much the same here.
We like Gloria Jeans. There's one in the next suburb from us so we go on a Saturday morning after grocery shopping.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The water here...sigh...I don't like it much at all, but not a lot I can do about it unless we buy bottled for everyone. I use a Brita filter to see if it improves the taste somewhat...not really.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Our house closes on Wednesday and our movers are coming tomorrow to pack and Wednesday it will be loaded into the container. Nervous as hell. Not sure why though as I've lived in OZ in the past, so know what to expect. Going to miss family ALOT and just hoping that hubby and I land jobs easily and quickly and that our 9yr old daughter settles into school easily.

I've had my fair share of moments of "WTF am I doing?".

I think I'm more upset and worried about my dog that I have to board until March at which time she'll fly to Sydney and be quarantined for 4-5 weeks. We won't see her until end of April. Have to keep telling myself that she will be ok

Anyway, one of my biggest reasons for moving back to Australia is because of the weather here, hate the snow and cold and wouldn't you know it, we are in the 3rd week of January and we have yet to get a snowstorm (southern Ontario)...I can see the grass in my front and backyards. Seems strange. IF all winters were like this I wouldn't have a problem. And, I've probably just jinxed myself and a huge storm will come on the day we want to fly out
Old Jan 18th 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

alzo will become famous soon enoughalzo will become famous soon enough

I can attest to the "WTF am I doing?"....feel like that on some days and I keep saying snap out of it...think of it as an adventure...

Glad to hear you'll closed the house. We are looking to list our house this week so it's been a busy 2 weeks trying to get rid of junk and doing some painting to spruce up the place.

Good luck on the move!

Originally Posted by paularn
Our house closes on Wednesday and our movers are coming tomorrow to pack and Wednesday it will be loaded into the container. Nervous as hell. Not sure why though as I've lived in OZ in the past, so know what to expect. Going to miss family ALOT and just hoping that hubby and I land jobs easily and quickly and that our 9yr old daughter settles into school easily.

I've had my fair share of moments of "WTF am I doing?".

I think I'm more upset and worried about my dog that I have to board until March at which time she'll fly to Sydney and be quarantined for 4-5 weeks. We won't see her until end of April. Have to keep telling myself that she will be ok

Anyway, one of my biggest reasons for moving back to Australia is because of the weather here, hate the snow and cold and wouldn't you know it, we are in the 3rd week of January and we have yet to get a snowstorm (southern Ontario)...I can see the grass in my front and backyards. Seems strange. IF all winters were like this I wouldn't have a problem. And, I've probably just jinxed myself and a huge storm will come on the day we want to fly out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.