Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canadian Immigration or Australian Immigration

Canadian Immigration or Australian Immigration

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:52 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Immigration or Australian Immigration

Originally Posted by Zen10
What often surprises me about Australia is the level of fuss that is made about "boat people", when if you look at the numbers Australia takes fewer refugees than most developed countries. The fact that it is the least densely populated country on earth just compounds the irony.
but australia is 99% desert.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:55 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
but australia is 99% desert.
It really isn't. The habitable areas of Australia are massive. Way bigger than Britain which has 63 million people.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:46 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that it is the least densely populated country on earth just compounds the irony
Zen10, how far outside one of the capital cities have you travelled? The reason that Australia is not densely populated is that most of the land area just cannot support a dense population - no water! It's only on the east coast and round the south to Ceduna, and then Esperance round to north of Perth in WA, that there is sufficient water to support horticulture and dense agriculture - the rest of the country just can't do it. Alice Springs is only the size it is because it was the railhead: you coudn't support the population without importing food and other essential supplies.

So there's no irony in Australia's population density of 2.92 people per sq. km. Canada has 3.43, Libya 3.72 and Mongolia 1.77 for the same reason - most of the land can't support any more.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:01 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Zen10, how far outside one of the capital cities have you travelled? The reason that Australia is not densely populated is that most of the land area just cannot support a dense population - no water! It's only on the east coast and round the south to Ceduna, and then Esperance round to north of Perth in WA, that there is sufficient water to support horticulture and dense agriculture - the rest of the country just can't do it. Alice Springs is only the size it is because it was the railhead: you coudn't support the population without importing food and other essential supplies.

So there's no irony in Australia's population density of 2.92 people per sq. km. Canada has 3.43, Libya 3.72 and Mongolia 1.77 for the same reason - most of the land can't support any more.
Sorry but this is just not true. Take Tasmania as an example. Tasmania is broadly the same size as Ireland. Ireland has 4 million people, Tasmania has 400,000. This is just one example of how the population could be increased in Tasmania alone, if not to Irish levels due to lower water supply, certainly well above 400,000.

Large areas of the tropical north have exactly the same climate and water supply as Indonesia, which has 240 million people. The habitable water-sodden parts of Australia's north have about 400,000 people. There is no argument in it; Australia's habitable zones, particularly in the north, are grossly underpopulated, and centred hopelessly on the urban sprawls of the cities. Mackay could be a city of 4 million, for example, and you can find places like this all over the coasts.

Personally, I am not in favour of massive population growth as I believe it will lead to a decline in the standard of living, but it will happen whatever my opinion of it.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paularn
I'd be shocked if Canada doesn't approve your application...they let everyone in! One of the reasons this Canadian moved to Australia!

Canadian Government needs to take some lessons from the Australian Government on how to tighten the immigration and learn to shut the damn door!!
I suggest you read the Canadian Immigration forum for a while. Their rules in many cases are more stringent than Australia's - when it comes to previous convictions for instance.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:17 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Bangladesh has plenty of water (unless India restricts the flow in the Ganges) and supports a population density of 1,140/sq.km., but I wouldn't want to live like that.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Bangladesh has plenty of water (unless India restricts the flow in the Ganges) and supports a population density of 1,140/sq.km., but I wouldn't want to live like that.
I agree, but Bangladesh isn't the future facing those who settle in the north of Australia. Bangladesh is a developing country with massive internal problems. Its GDP per capita is $1700 (I just checked - I swear I don't keep stuff like this in my head!!) and Australia's is $70,000 - greater than Canada's, the UK's or even America's. Australia can fund (and will fund) the settlement of the north at some point, and that settlement will be first-world tropical cities like Singapore.

Australia has grown at 1.7% pa on average since federation (that one in my head so it might be wrong). Even if it grows at 1.4% per year from now on, by 2120 its population will be 100 million.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

What often surprises me about Australia is the level of fuss that is made about "boat people", when if you look at the numbers Australia takes fewer refugees than most developed countries. The fact that it is the least densely populated country on earth just compounds the irony.
We have 2000 + arriving per month at the moment so it isnt insignificant.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 11:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Budawang
We have 2000 + arriving per month at the moment so it isnt insignificant.
Australia refugees per 1000 population: 0.98
UK refugees per 1000 population: 3.84
Canada refugees per 1000 population: 4.87

The numbers arriving in Australia are absolutely insignificant relative to other places. The US, disgracefully, is 0.85, so Australia at least beats America.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 12:59 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Well the US population is very big already that's why you get that smaller ratio.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

Well the US population is very big already that's why you get that smaller ratio.
The figures are per 1000 population.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:09 am
Daffyd Duck

yes exactly. the US is overcrowding thats why your denominator is big. hence smaller ratio.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:02 am
Banned

yes exactly. the US is overcrowding thats why your denominator is big. hence smaller ratio.
If there were three islands, one with 1000 Americans on it, one with 1000 Australians on it and one with 1000 Canadians on it, the Americans would take 0.85 refugees, the Australians would take 0.98 and the Canadians would take 4.87.

Therefore, the Canadians take more refugees onto their island, per Canadian, than do Americans or Australians. It's why they did the stat per capita and not per state.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

If there were three islands, one with 1000 Americans on it, one with 1000 Australians on it and one with 1000 Canadians on it, the Americans would take 0.85 refugees, the Australians would take 0.98 and the Canadians would take 4.87.

Therefore, the Canadians take more refugees onto their island, per Canadian, than do Americans or Australians. It's why they did the stat per capita and not per state.
I don't know if that saddens me or makes me ill.

I don't need to read the Canadian forum...I've lived in Canada my entire life, I see what's happening and they may be more stringent on some things, but obviously not enough. They are letting in way too many immigrants and need to shut the door! One in leads to the entire family to follow later. And when my child becomes a minority in her school in her own country....there is an issue that needs to be addressed!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So it's now a competition to see which country takes the most refugees, with the winner being the one that takes the most.

Wow.

Well done Canada - what a great prize to win.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.