Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

canada vs australia?

canada vs australia?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada vs australia?

Originally Posted by canadian1021
can someone tell me if Australia is better than Canada or has an equivalent lifestyle?

Any cities than can be compared to Toronto or montreal?

in what terms?
I have lived in Calgary, Halifax and Perth. I can't say I experienced much of a difference in quality of life other than the weather. Depends if you like months of heat as opposed to months of cold.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Whats the point of a forum, if you can't comment
don't split hairs I reckon you know what I mean - it was the I was reacting to - people give me similar responses when I mention my attitude to my brother, but when I come out with a few facts about him the becomes Sorry if I read you wrong but it sounded like you were commenting on their attitude without knowing the background
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:47 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Families can be painful - I know that too well

At least with the bro we get a laugh, he very recently bought a house worth probably 10 times the avg UK home - for cash. He sent out housewarming invites with a gift registry ( like you get for brides ) I mean he sent these invites to people in the UK on pensions, teachers, a disabled relative

I am thinking of sending him a green and yellow bottle opener set from one of those awful tourist shops you get on the gold coast

Amazingly too, despite the couple of months he stayed with us for free he cant even put us up for one night in his swish new home
Make sure its from a really cheap shop so it breaks after one use
Old Jan 4th 2011, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Families can be painful - I know that too well

At least with the bro we get a laugh, he very recently bought a house worth probably 10 times the avg UK home - for cash. He sent out housewarming invites with a gift registry ( like you get for brides ) I mean he sent these invites to people in the UK on pensions, teachers, a disabled relative

I am thinking of sending him a green and yellow bottle opener set from one of those awful tourist shops you get on the gold coast

Amazingly too, despite the couple of months he stayed with us for free he cant even put us up for one night in his swish new home
Isn't it weird how rich people are the tightest? I suppose that's how they get rich
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
don't split hairs I reckon you know what I mean - it was the I was reacting to - people give me similar responses when I mention my attitude to my brother, but when I come out with a few facts about him the becomes Sorry if I read you wrong but it sounded like you were commenting on their attitude without knowing the background

Ah come on, half the fun of these forums is spouting an opinion on something you know little about
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:09 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australians have humor and personality. Canadians don't! Although this is a generalisation and not everyone I find Young canadians very deceptive and in general just full of shit. Can't say the same thing about Americans who are far more sincere.

Toronto is awesome though! It's like a big city but with plenty of room. Also has a sports bar with the worlds largest TV ahahahah!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:16 am
Home and Happy

Ah come on, half the fun of these forums is spouting an opinion on something you know little about
As evidenced by the post below yours - I'm glad I'm off to work before any Canadians respoind to it

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australians have humor and personality. Canadians don't! Although this is a generalisation and not everyone I find Young canadians very deceptive and in general just full of shit. Can't say the same thing about Americans who are far more sincere.
Popcorn anyone?!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Australians have humor and personality. Canadians don't! Although this is a generalisation and not everyone I find Young canadians very deceptive and in general just full of shit.
I'll go one further and say that gen Y is, on the whole, has more than its fair share of asswipes in most first world countries thanks to the decades of disposable society and a peddled distortion that everyone can be a pop star.

My feelings are probably compounded by 1) being a grumpy old bastard and 2) not having any children so get to be smug about the whole issue.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Adriane is on a distinguished road

pot shots against the Canadian personality aside...! No one is denying that the weak factor for Canada is the winter, although I think that sunny and -5 is actually nicer than +40 and humid. Having just attempted to migrate to Australia, for us it totally wasn't worth it. We got better weather, and I love the good parts of Sydney, but looking at the house or unit we would have to live in compared to the lovely house we can have in Canada (Vancouver is the exception I know) it just wasn't worth it. I did pay extra for doctor's visits where I only got half the money back. It was so annoying to pay double for name brand cosmetics and CD's. But hey Australia is great, I won't deny it, just not worth it to give up a good life and standard of living in Canada.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

That said, I would have to weigh up carefully the notion of living in months of cold weather and lack of light.[/QUOTE]

Actually many parts of Canada, especially Alberta are very sunny in winter, not constantly cloudy at all! Agree there is snow on the ground for too long though...
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adriane
That said, I would have to weigh up carefully the notion of living in months of cold weather and lack of light.
Actually many parts of Canada, especially Alberta are very sunny in winter, not constantly cloudy at all! Agree there is snow on the ground for too long though...[/QUOTE]

I would exchange a freezing snowy winter in Canada, where you can partake in various winter sports, for the wet, cold and miserable winter we have here in Perth in a heart beat
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Actually many parts of Canada, especially Alberta are very sunny in winter, not constantly cloudy at all! Agree there is snow on the ground for too long though...
I would exchange a freezing snowy winter in Canada, where you can partake in various winter sports, for the wet, cold and miserable winter we have here in Perth in a heart beat [/QUOTE]

If we're lucky enough to get rain, that is. Perth certainly goes into hibernation over winter. The thing that bothers me most is Perth drivers not driving to match the conditions.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I would exchange a freezing snowy winter in Canada, where you can partake in various winter sports, for the wet, cold and miserable winter we have here in Perth in a heart beat
If we're lucky enough to get rain, that is. Perth certainly goes into hibernation over winter. The thing that bothers me most is Perth drivers not driving to match the conditions.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, imagine throwing snow and ice into the equation
Old Jan 4th 2011, 1:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Adriane
pot shots against the Canadian personality aside...! No one is denying that the weak factor for Canada is the winter, although I think that sunny and -5 is actually nicer than +40 and humid.
Calgary might, just might, get above freezing point for a couple of hours on Thursday. Other than that it is expected to stay below freezing for the next 14days at least. That you can keep !!

In the five years I have been in Australia I think I've experienced one day over 40c
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Well one thing I've learned is that good weather does not guarantee a good quality of life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.