Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canada or Victoria,where would you go?

Canada or Victoria,where would you go?

Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Canada or Victoria,where would you go?

Hi everyone as you will all know I have received my state nomination for Victoria and have my TRA assessment, so the visa application is ready to go in.

But just browsing the other day I have noticed that the points required for Canada has just been lowered and my question is: if people had there choices of the 2 (Canada or Victoria) with no worries about points etc. where would they go? (you will remember my original preferred destination was the gold coast but I was 5 points short hence the state nomination).
I'm still leaning towards aus but as my wife pointed out Canada is a damn site closer.

Dam this internet! I wish I hadn't noticed the points thing for Canada now!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

CrazyCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada or Victoria,where would you go?

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
I'd think you should go to Victoria, since you already have the STNI nomination. And two years later, if you like, you can easily move to the Gold Coast.
All the best.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:45 pm
True Blue Aussie

gavo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by CrazyCanuck
...two years later, if you like, you can easily move to the Gold Coast.
All the best.
Haha all the other Vics have
Old Jan 5th 2004, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Location: Sydney since February (and loving it!), London before that.
pangit is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends if you mind freezing your b****ocks off all winter or not I suppose!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

eferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud ofeferreira has much to be proud of

Dicko, I have the same concern, I have enough point for getting both the Australian VISA and the Canadian VISA and I like both countries. Canada is freezing and Australia is very very far. So, I am not sure yet.
Maybe the answer depends on many personal factors, like profession and amount of friends and contacts in both countries.
Anyway, it will good to have references about comparations between both countries, I mean, quality of life, facilities for finding a job, etc.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi everyone as you will all know I have received my state nomination for Victoria and have my TRA assessment, so the visa application is ready to go in.

But just browsing the other day I have noticed that the points required for Canada has just been lowered and my question is: if people had there choices of the 2 (Canada or Victoria) with no worries about points etc. where would they go? (you will remember my original preferred destination was the gold coast but I was 5 points short hence the state nomination).
I'm still leaning towards aus but as my wife pointed out Canada is a damn site closer.

Hey! Why not Victoria, BC, Canada??? You can have the best of both worlds at the same time you and your wife!!!
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:04 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Canada might be closer but it's still a bloody long way away!

I suppose it all boils down to what you want from life. Great beaches or great mountains, ice hockey or Aussie rules, shark wrestling or grizzly bear baiting.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We're leaving Canada (Calgary) to go to Brisbane. We have been here for 9 years and find it too cold. Hubby did not want to move to BC as he does not like the weather too wet! We are originally from Durban, South Africa. If you have any questions about Calgary, I'd be happy to help.

The Goodbye Girl
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pangit

Yes.... but those lovely summers are worth it.
love the place myself.........
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:29 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pangit
It is relative but Victorian winters are not that warm with that antarctic breeze.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Many people consider Melbourne a very Canadian type city, like Toronto. I did postgrad in Toronto and can see their point. Going later to QLD would certainly accentuate the distinctiveness of OZ and IMO be a better choice, esp if you like heat. Our shuttle driver when we first landed in Perth said wryly, "going to Melbourne kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Australia."

Good luck, both Oz anc Canada are fine choices, I think it comes down to career prospects in each, whether you like hot weather (Oz, less so Melbourne, is genuinely hot, not mild) and finally distance. Canada really is much closer to everywhere, an hour at most to the US and 6-8 hours to the UK. I really think 6-8 hours is incomparably closer than Oz's 24 hours, which is utterly exhausting.

Best wishes

David
Old Jan 11th 2004, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Ansy is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately, Victoria. I lived in north America for a long while. Canada is too, F***king cold. Even in the summer!! Some areas only get 22 degrees celcius as the warmest temp. You pretty much freeze 6 months out of every year in Canada. If you have to swim in the natural waters or unheated pools, it' not enjoyable coz it's too f**king cold, man. I'd pick Victoria any day.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 1:01 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

First thing to consider is job prospects..... you`d be unhappy in either place if you had to work at Burger King (Hungry Jacks in Oz).

I think standard of living and friendliness of people is comparable... as well as the economy (check your exchange rates).

Then the weather is obviously a factor.... it all depends whether you like it cold or hot... in both places you`d have to adapt and spend in different ways to live with the climate.... although I think Canada would be more expensive to fight the weather (snow tyres / warm clothes / heaters etc) vs Australia (air conditioner in houses and cars, and that`s about it).

Canada has alot more interesting travel opportunities I think.... and of course it`s closer to the UK if you need to see family.

Downside is having America as a neighbour, and being near the receiving end of a nuke or two one day. But Aus has Indonesia who will invade as soon as they think they can get away with it.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:00 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dicko

hmmm...interesting question...let me rationalise...

Canada...Gold Coast?
Canada...Gold Coast?
Canada...Gold Coast?
Canada...Gold Coast?
Canada...Gold Coast?
Canada...Gold Coast?

OK...I'm stuck...how do they bury people in permafrost???

Last edited by Florida_03; Jan 11th 2004 at 3:08 am.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Ansy
Definately, Victoria. I lived in north America for a long while. Canada is too, F***king cold. Even in the summer!! Some areas only get 22 degrees celcius as the warmest temp. You pretty much freeze 6 months out of every year in Canada. If you have to swim in the natural waters or unheated pools, it' not enjoyable coz it's too f**king cold, man. I'd pick Victoria any day.

74 degrees is nice i'snt it........ I get a lot hotter were i live (B.c).
over 40 degrees last summer....six months winter.....mmmm.....it's sunny and warm today went shopping did'nt wear my coat......