Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can your CO hold you back?

Can your CO hold you back?

Old Aug 11th 2006, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Can your CO hold you back?

I am a bit concerned and wonder if anyone can help. I am six weeks into applying for my 457 sponsored visa, have moved out of my house, have given up work (as I was self employed) and am now renting a place in Brighton to get used to beach life (going to Perth).

Now, employer emails every couple of days asking if I have heard yet, lovely bunch, got on great by email and on phone with most of the managers and directors, cant wait to join them and hope they know that. Had a call from the recruitment agent who facilitated the joining and the guy suggested I call my CO and just ask if everything is in place for her to make a decision, that she has all the documents etc she needs.

I sent a lovely email to her, saying I knew she would get to me when she did, but was getting a bit nervous about whether I had given her everything she needed etc etc.

The reason for the stress as a male colleague who is going to Syndey had his 457 approved two and a bit weeks ago when we applied at the same time!

Now, I didnt call her, but sent her a really light email just saying she would no doubt mke her decision ias soon as she could but I wanted to check nothing was outstanding from my side and that my email address was correct (even joked about my anxiousness etc)

Anyway, nothing, I mailed her directly and nothing and frankly I am a bit worried she may have the power to...well put my visa at the bottom of the pile for me being an annoying thing.....can she do that as I am really worried about it?

Or am I thinking about British officials being that petty?
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:12 am
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all
Default Re: Can your CO hold you back?

I believe on the correspondance i recieved from DIMIA they said they would not respond to emails asking for "updates." Having said that, i asked for an update, and got my PR visa 24 hours later! I suspect it just depends on your case officer, however i can't imagine one nice email would piss them off eneaugh to put your application to the bottom of the pile.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R.Soper
I believe on the correspondance i recieved from DIMIA they said they would not respond to emails asking for "updates." Having said that, i asked for an update, and got my PR visa 24 hours later! I suspect it just depends on your case officer, however i can't imagine one nice email would piss them off eneaugh to put your application to the bottom of the pile.

Thanks for that, think the pressure is just getting to me and am feeling a little neurotic. Obviously both the agency my new employers use and my employers are staying in touch asking for updates, but my employers always seemed really on my side about it. Guess this recruitment agent made me feel uncomfortable as in a 'whats wrong, how come the other guy got his through three weeks ago' and also a little made me feel like maybe my new employer may be having such thoughts....which I am sure is just my paranoia and nervousness at this point, as its been six weeks and being I am homeless and jobless now due to expecting to be gone by now or about now.....its just that bit where I feel like 'oh what if it all goes wrong, they think its me so pull job offer and everything goes to hell'

I am guessing many people become like crazed banshees at the end of the process
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda34
am now renting a place in Brighton to get used to beach life (going to Perth).
Brighton - Perth

Chalk - cheese

Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:23 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, think the pressure is just getting to me and am feeling a little neurotic. Obviously both the agency my new employers use and my employers are staying in touch asking for updates, but my employers always seemed really on my side about it. Guess this recruitment agent made me feel uncomfortable as in a 'whats wrong, how come the other guy got his through three weeks ago' and also a little made me feel like maybe my new employer may be having such thoughts....which I am sure is just my paranoia and nervousness at this point, as its been six weeks and being I am homeless and jobless now due to expecting to be gone by now or about now.....its just that bit where I feel like 'oh what if it all goes wrong, they think its me so pull job offer and everything goes to hell'

I am guessing many people become like crazed banshees at the end of the process
Dont forget they are human and do understand what pressure people are feeling. They may more than likely are acting on your visa as we chat thinking you would rather have it in your hand than be further delayed by another email

Have faith - summer is coming in perth and ending in Brighton so enjoy
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R.Soper
I don't think it would make them put the application to the bottom, but they are told they should answer all emails (as an Aussie govt employee, I know) and so having to stop, read the email, and phrase a reply, can slow up their day. On a good day I like to answer the lighter emails, but on a busy day I have been known to wish I didn't have to respond.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't think it would make them put the application to the bottom, but they are told they should answer all emails (as an Aussie govt employee, I know) and so having to stop, read the email, and phrase a reply, can slow up their day. On a good day I like to answer the lighter emails, but on a busy day I have been known to wish I didn't have to respond.
I am okay with her not responding, so long as she isn't secretly Cruella deVil and has just stashed me straight at the bottom....
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Brighton - Perth

Chalk - cheese

I know, but being self employed I had some odd days work to do in London, so it was the only option.....pebble beach and men more feminine than me....not good, but close my eyes and pull the pebbles out of places pebbles dont lie comfortably and listen to the ocean...I can dream for a minute or two that I am there
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by thebears
Dont forget they are human and do understand what pressure people are feeling. They may more than likely are acting on your visa as we chat thinking you would rather have it in your hand than be further delayed by another email

Have faith - summer is coming in perth and ending in Brighton so enjoy

What a nice thought to have.

Positive thinking...I will open my email on Monday or Tuesday and it will be there and I will be on my flight on Thursday with a glass fo champers in my hand.......they say if you wish hard enough it will happen!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

What a nice thought to have.

Positive thinking...I will open my email on Monday or Tuesday and it will be there and I will be on my flight on Thursday with a glass fo champers in my hand.......they say if you wish hard enough it will happen!

did u use an agent... dont they have some tick box on the form that says they'll only talk to the agent?

if you worried - ring the Aussie DIMIA helpline ( not the dob in line ) - they'll tell you statusof your thingy from the system without bothering the CO.

phonenumber is on here or on dimias website somewhere +61 is ctry code.

phone them.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:43 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Brighton - Perth

Chalk - cheese

Well, it's a start isn't it, especially if you've not lived near the sea before. Anyway, I didn't realise Perth had a pier!

Nicky
Old Aug 11th 2006, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Well, it's a start isn't it, especially if you've not lived near the sea before. Anyway, I didn't realise Perth had a pier!

Nicky

A pier, but is it as tacky as Brightons? I went for the first time the other day as I am just staying here to have felt like I am moving by getting out of London......kind of last fling in tacky english seaside town.