Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can you watch the bbc i player and 4 OD in oz?

can you watch the bbc i player and 4 OD in oz?

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice
Default can you watch the bbc i player and 4 OD in oz?

i just wondered if its possible??

i dont know how the internet works but the misses cant watch american programs on there version of MTV on demand

thanks for your answers
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future
Default Re: can you watch the bbc i player and 4 OD in oz?

Are you not moving here for a new and better life. I don't even know what you are talking about and am proud of it.

Mike.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 4:27 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

I don't think so but you can use a proxy server to make it look like you're in the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Simo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really niceSimo429 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Are you not moving here for a new and better life. I don't even know what you are talking about and am proud of it.

Mike.
it was just that ive seen a lot of people moan about the tv in oz and although i do plan to move for a better lifestyle i would miss my weekly dose of motd
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

Hutch has posted a full account of how to watch UK TV in Aus.
This link should explain all.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544096

Johnnyyt
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Simo429
it was just that ive seen a lot of people moan about the tv in oz and although i do plan to move for a better lifestyle i would miss my weekly dose of motd
It's difficult to have a better lifestyle when you have kids in bed and it's dark at 6:30 !

Tv is cack but you do get all your CSI, NCIS etc. on TV here if those are the US shows you're talking about.

For MoTD, I download it from UKNova 24 hours after it has been on in blighty.

HTH

Andy

PS - Mike, it's you who needs to get a life mate.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:46 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simo429
i just wondered if its possible??

i dont know how the internet works but the misses cant watch american programs on there version of MTV on demand

thanks for your answers
Check the link in my signature. It's very doable now - though it will cost you about $20 a month on top of whatever you're paying for your broadband connection. Using a VPN Tunnel you can get stuff on iPlayer or 4oD as soon as anyone in the UK - sure as hell beats waiting around for someone to record, rip, encode and upload at UK Nova.

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
You can't indulge in the amazing Australian outdoor lifestyle when it's pitch black outside though can you? What do you do when you get home, crack open the scrabble board?
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Check the link in my signature. It's very doable now - though it will cost you about $20 a month on top of whatever you're paying for your broadband connection. Using a VPN Tunnel you can get stuff on iPlayer or 4oD as soon as anyone in the UK - sure as hell beats waiting around for someone to record, rip, encode and upload at UK Nova.

Wow I do like that

Just a question though, before I go ahead when I get back..... Hows it go on a full screen 40 plus incher ?

I've only briefly scanned the site, I assume you can channel surf as well ?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Wow I do like that

Just a question though, before I go ahead when I get back..... Hows it go on a full screen 40 plus incher ?

I've only briefly scanned the site, I assume you can channel surf as well ?
It depends on the network traffic through the tunnel at the time. To be honest, the only thing I watch on stream is things like the news. If you download the files though quality is excellent - I watch them on a 42" plasma and they're fine. I did watch a whole episode of Top Gear by stream the other night and the buffer crapped out on me twice during playback which is pretty good going in the grand scheme of things.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on the network traffic through the tunnel at the time. To be honest, the only thing I watch on stream is things like the news. If you download the files though quality is excellent - I watch them on a 42" plasma and they're fine. I did watch a whole episode of Top Gear by stream the other night and the buffer crapped out on me twice during playback which is pretty good going in the grand scheme of things.
If I go for the UK VPN idea and save them to my PC, do you know generally what file format the BBC & C4 media will be in - is it DIVX like most of the stuff on thebox?

I like the DIVX because I bought a TV which takes an SD or USB card and reads straight off it without needing to actually write it to a DVD.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
If I go for the UK VPN idea and save them to my PC, do you know generally what file format the BBC & C4 media will be in - is it DIVX like most of the stuff on thebox?

I like the DIVX because I bought a TV which takes an SD or USB card and reads straight off it without needing to actually write it to a DVD.
No - they're in DRM protected WMV format. You'll need to strip the DRM code off them and convert them to Divx - I explain how in the link in my sig.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:58 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

brilliant guide Hutch. Loved the humour
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

No - they're in DRM protected WMV format. You'll need to strip the DRM code off them and convert them to Divx - I explain how in the link in my sig.
Thanks - yes read your great guide. I am thinking it may be the way to go for me because as it stands, I am cutting in half my download limit because Optus counts up and down towards the monthly limit.

So to stay within thebox rules, I need to allow 15GB up for 15GB that I download..with this, I don't need to share it back.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
So to stay within thebox rules, I need to allow 15GB up for 15GB that I download..with this, I don't need to share it back.
Correct - and the main reason I'm now using it in preference to the torrent sites. I have a little production line going - 1) connect the VPN 2) navigate to iPlayer and cue up downloads of shows 3) start downloads 4) kill VPN connection and return to normal one 5) wait for shows to finish downloading 6) add them all in one go to media converter and save them in my general TV directory for access by the media centre PC in the living room.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from two weeks reccie in Sydney. Unfortunately, when I was there, I tried to watch some clips on BBC website but got a message that said the clip couldn't be shown in the country I was in (OZ!!)

So, you have to either fool it in thinking you're still in UK or at worse, start watching neighbours!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.