Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you transfer your mobile phone contract to Australia?

Can you transfer your mobile phone contract to Australia?

Old Oct 9th 2012, 9:39 pm
doo
Banned

doo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you transfer your mobile phone contract to Australia?

I need a new phone soon, I was planning to go on contract for the first time. But I have been planning to go to Australia next September/October ish next year for 1 or 2 years on the WHV. If I go on contract now then it will only be half way into the contract it when I leave for Australia. Will I be able to use my phone in Australia or will I be paying extortionate prices?

:
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Can you transfer your mobile phone contract to Australia?

You'll be paying extortionate prices at a guess. I'd stick to an unlocked phone and a flexible contract that can be cancelled at 30 days notice. We have these in Oz (Amaysin etc).. so I'm sure there are better deals in the UK
Old Oct 9th 2012, 10:15 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doo
I need a new phone soon, I was planning to go on contract for the first time. But I have been planning to go to Australia next September/October ish next year for 1 or 2 years on the WHV. If I go on contract now then it will only be half way into the contract it when I leave for Australia. Will I be able to use my phone in Australia or will I be paying extortionate prices?

:
You're sim will have a UK number, so everytime you use the phone it will class as an international call, even if it's to another room in your house. Get an unlocked non contract phone, or one you can cancel with short notice, then when you get to Aus, get a sim card, put it in and Hey Presto its an OZ phone.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 11:50 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doo

:
Short answer - no.
Long answer - hell no

First, I'd avoid contracts in general, and if you are planning to move in particular.

Second, if you are coming to Oz, then an unlocked phone capable of quad band in 3G is a good bet. If its not quad band then you will have to go Optus network - and it depends how out in the sticks you end up. Helstra cost more, but have better rural coverage.