Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can you tell me how to make the tv work?

can you tell me how to make the tv work?

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future
Default can you tell me how to make the tv work?

I've just spent 10 minutes searching because I know this subject has come up before and I wish I'd taken more notice then. Furniture arrived yesterday, hooray, thank you PSS back there and Overseas Removals here (not one single problem start to finish) but the very expensive LCD tv refuses to produce any sound to go with the crystal clear pictures. Phoned Panasonic and they say there's nothing to be done about it. PLEASE will somebody tell me this is not true.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you tell me how to make the tv work?

Its absolutely true, the TV sound wont work as its a different signal. What you need to do is get some sort of tuner ie video, DVD or pay tv & run the TV through it. Then the sound will work.

Edit : there are a very small number of TV's that have a multi-region tuner in them, but as I said, the number is small, most people find that their TV sound doesn't work in Oz. You can also get the tuner chipped I believe, but I dont know much about it.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Sep 22nd 2005 at 7:02 am. Reason: add a bit
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Its absolutely true, the TV sound wont work as its a different signal. What you need to do is get some sort of tuner ie video, DVD or pay tv & run the TV through it. Then the sound will work.
thank you for that speedy reply MrsDagboy. we were told there was no such thing, ie tuner. will get right onto that. will any oz video or whatever do it then?
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:04 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahoy
thank you for that speedy reply MrsDagboy. we were told there was no such thing, ie tuner. will get right onto that. will any oz video or whatever do it then?
Yep ahoy, as long as it has a tuner in it (ie picks up TV channels) it will work.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:11 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you go rushing out to buy a VCR, what Make and Model is your UK TV?

If you still have the instruction book with it look through for the specifications, you're looking for the word 'PAL' which is the type of broadcast signal (very roughly) it uses. UK uses PAL I, Australia uses PAL B/G hence picture and no sound.

A lot of new tellys (and I would expect a big LCD to be fairly new and hi tech) are able to switch standards, some automatically, some manually. It could be as simple as finding an option in the menus.

Failing that then what INPUT connections are there on the back of the TV (or being an LCD, the side or some other obscure location lol), I'm assuming at least a Scart connecter or some RCA sockets and/or S-Video\/
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:13 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

we had the same problem with our tv when we arrived, so we bought a digibox which was about $90 from Target and it works ok, even picks up ABC2 and some strange SBS channels as well
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Before you go rushing out to buy a VCR, what Make and Model is your UK TV?

If you still have the instruction book with it look through for the specifications, you're looking for the word 'PAL' which is the type of broadcast signal (very roughly) it uses. UK uses PAL I, Australia uses PAL B/G hence picture and no sound.

A lot of new tellys (and I would expect a big LCD to be fairly new and hi tech) are able to switch standards, some automatically, some manually. It could be as simple as finding an option in the menus.

Failing that then what INPUT connections are there on the back of the TV (or being an LCD, the side or some other obscure location lol), I'm assuming at least a Scart connecter or some RCA sockets and/or S-Video\/

Good point, you would assume most new tvs to do it automatically, but some may not & you may have to use the menu system to do it. But I would have thought that Panasonic themselves would have pointed him in that direction if it had been that easy .
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 7:57 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Good point, you would assume most new tvs to do it automatically, but some may not & you may have to use the menu system to do it. But I would have thought that Panasonic themselves would have pointed him in that direction if it had been that easy .
Knowing what call centres are like (usually two continents away with a script on screen to read), I've learned through my own mistakes never to assume lol.

I'd say it is probably a fairly infrequent query (yes even with all the Poms moving over here ) and a lot of first line tech support/call centre staff will have never seen the product in the flesh or have the instruction manual to hand.

On several occasions I've come across functions/options that even the manual explicity says can't be done so ya never know and it's free to look.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:02 am
Tell it like it is'er

Scorpio1 will become famous soon enough

Don't worry, you're not missing anything as the TV is pants at the moment (apart from 'Survivor') :scared: ! Three & a half hours of Brownlow medal - give us a break !