Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you take wood in to OZ?

Wikiposts

Can you take wood in to OZ?

Old May 13th 2005, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Can you take wood in to OZ?

Originally Posted by Rockville
Hi everyone,
Hope this isn't a really stupid question but moving to Sydney in Sept and was just wondering if you can take in wooden objects, photo frames, ornaments etc. Not shipping anything, just small stuff in suitcase.
Someone told me once they wont allow wooden produvts in and if found will confiscate them and fine you??
Any clues??
Hi there

The wood has to be treated. If not treated, they can and will confiscate it and then either charge you to get it treated or destroy it. My sister-in-law had a beautiful wooden giraffe that she opted to have destroyed as she wasn't prepared to pay the $80 treatment fee when she had her stuff treated.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

teddy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you / anyone explain how we can make sure the wood is treated before the departure? How is the wood treated??

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Hi there

The wood has to be treated. If not treated, they can and will confiscate it and then either charge you to get it treated or destroy it. My sister-in-law had a beautiful wooden giraffe that she opted to have destroyed as she wasn't prepared to pay the $80 treatment fee when she had her stuff treated.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:48 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum had been working in Kuwait & when she went back to Australia she shipped all her belongings she has accrued in Kuwait..... among the personal stuff was a pair of shoes with a see-thru resin high heel... inside which was a dried flower...... customs said she would have to pay the treatment fee to fumigate it (which would entail ripping the heel from the shoe to get to the dried flower) so she told them to destroy them!!!!!! Bit of overkill if you ask me!!!!

Last edited by Jonahs_mummy; May 13th 2005 at 5:52 am.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teddy78
Could you / anyone explain how we can make sure the wood is treated before the departure? How is the wood treated??
I'll have a guess that you buy it some sweets and pat it on the head and rub it with cotton wool....

soz...just my friday sense of humor

C
Old May 13th 2005, 3:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
My Mum had been working in Kuwait & when she went back to Australia she shipped all her belongings she has accrued in Kuwait..... among the personal stuff was a pair of shoes with a see-thru resin high heel... inside which was a dried flower...... customs said she would have to pay the treatment fee to fumigate it (which would entail ripping the heel from the shoe to get to the dried flower) so she told them to destroy them!!!!!! Bit of overkill if you ask me!!!!
Bit like my hat with silk flowers - they were convinced they were real, and it cost me $65 for destruction!!!
Old May 14th 2005, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

I'm glad I saw this thread as we accumulated lots of beautiful wooden pieces (including a 4 foot giraffe .... called 'Jerry' !) in Africa which obviously we would have brought with us, but wont be doing so now

Ebay will have an influx of the stuff!!

Karen x
Old May 14th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

I'm glad I saw this thread as we accumulated lots of beautiful wooden pieces (including a 2 foot giraffe .... called 'Jerry' !) in Africa which obviously we would have brought with us, but wont be doing so now

Ebay will have an influx of the stuff!!

Karen x
Old May 19th 2005, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

You can take your giraffe and other curios, but just make sure it is fumigated and you have proof of such. You could do it yourself and them varnish or seal the items so it can be seen to be sealed.
How long have you had it? Does it have worms in the wood?
if you have had it for a while there would have been sawdust from the bottoms of the feet indicating borer beetle or worms.

Also if you are taking it from UK, was it not checked at customs there?
When I was living in RSA a guy from Denmark took a 5 foot giraffe back with him.
Old May 19th 2005, 9:13 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I have got wicker dinning room chairs which are varnished - was going to take them then wasn't and now I am !! HOwever, I have started to fill in the AQIS form and I can't decide whether I should say that duvets and some seats on the sofa are down filled. Bloody nightmare this!!!
Old May 19th 2005, 11:36 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Someone told me once they wont allow wooden produvts in and if found will confiscate them and fine you??
Any clues??[/QUOTE]

anybody know about rocking horses?

our daughter has a beautiful large rocking horse, and i'll be damned if we are leaving that behind, it cost a small fortune....

michelle
Old May 20th 2005, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sa2oz
You can take your giraffe and other curios, but just make sure it is fumigated and you have proof of such. You could do it yourself and them varnish or seal the items so it can be seen to be sealed.
How long have you had it? Does it have worms in the wood?
if you have had it for a while there would have been sawdust from the bottoms of the feet indicating borer beetle or worms.

Also if you are taking it from UK, was it not checked at customs there?
When I was living in RSA a guy from Denmark took a 5 foot giraffe back with him.
We brought the giraffe from Africa to UK and no, it wasnt checked at customs - It went into the hold with about 10 others! We also had about 30 pieces in our luggage. None of the pieces have any worms holes, never seen any sawdust at any point and we've had them for 8 years now - I would actually be very sorry to see them go if we couldnt take them with us

With curios like these its hard to judge if sealants have been used - they usually only use boot polish and other polish to give them a sheen ready for sale, I doubt any of them have been varnished but it is something we could do ourselves.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:12 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
Any clues??

anybody know about rocking horses?

our daughter has a beautiful large rocking horse, and i'll be damned if we are leaving that behind, it cost a small fortune....

michelle[/QUOTE]
if it has real horse hair mane and tail , this will be destroyed. this can then be replaced with local horse hair....................... mm
Old May 20th 2005, 9:16 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I have got wicker dinning room chairs which are varnished - was going to take them then wasn't and now I am !! HOwever, I have started to fill in the AQIS form and I can't decide whether I should say that duvets and some seats on the sofa are down filled. Bloody nightmare this!!!
goose down is ok most of it is steam treated................. mm
Old May 20th 2005, 9:17 pm
Banned

Hunkyhenry will become famous soon enough

Only you head!!!!!
Old May 20th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
goose down is ok most of it is steam treated................. mm

I was asking about this subject on another forum about bringing in feather quilts - would they allow used ones in or only new??

Advice on this would be useful as I only bought our 'all seasons' kingsize last year and it cost us a small fortune so would have liked to have brought it with us.

K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.