Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you take picture frames into OZ?

Can you take picture frames into OZ?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Can you take picture frames into OZ?

Ive got a lot of expensive pictures in frames I have made especially by a framer which cost a small fortune, someone told me recently you cant take wood into OZ unless it's treated, so I guess this means I cant take these photo framed into OZ, I was planning to have them shipped over, can anyone confirm this for me please?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:19 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you take picture frames into OZ?

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
....., someone told me recently you cant take wood into OZ unless it's treated,......

Confirmed.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:21 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Does that mean pine furnisher to????
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:38 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ASHO
Does that mean pine furnisher to????
If it has not been treated. It can get treated on arrival, but will take longer to get to you and you pay for the treatment by AQIS. The other option is that if it is not treated, it is destroyed, and you pay for the privilege. the OH had to leave a good bed behind as it has a untreated pine base. ti get it treated was too much of a hassle, although she was able to bring other treated pieces of timber with her. Group all wood products together and be sure to mark what is in each container and provide a list-makes things so much easier.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:50 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Just bring them mate. Make sure you use a reputable firm such as GB Liners. Your packers will pack them very well and list them as pictures.

When the consignment arrive the Oz packers will unload your container and put stickers on High risk items or items which will need to be inspected such as shoes/tents/etc etc. They wont be listed as untreated wooden framed pictures on your consignment- just as pictures. They won't be inspected unless you are very unlucky, pack yourselves, or use a dodgy form who AQUIS have had problems with before.

We had wicker bedframes, wooden untreated bedroom furniture etc which wasn't pulled because it was labelled as a bed frame / bedroom furniture and then packed well.

Just bring them and don't worry.

Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Picture frames shouldn't be a problem. I even had two in my hand luggage that I got as a leaving present on the last night, the AQIS guy just give them a quick look and waved them in.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

sarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to allsarahlou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Ive got a lot of expensive pictures in frames I have made especially by a framer which cost a small fortune, someone told me recently you cant take wood into OZ unless it's treated, so I guess this means I cant take these photo framed into OZ, I was planning to have them shipped over, can anyone confirm this for me please?
hi ozzy,
i had a shipping company out today and i love contempory art and i have some expensive pictures,
i also thought they wouldnt be able to go unless the frames were treated ect but he said no and that they are fine ! the company is called Brittania Removals,
sarah
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So long as you declare it they should be ok. AQIS will probably want to take a look at it and decide if they need to be treated, but then you can decide if you want to pay for treatment or have them destroyed.

Our bedroom suite and dining suite are both made from reclaimed pine, complete with worm holes and it passed inspection just fine.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Just bring them mate. Make sure you use a reputable firm such as GB Liners. Your packers will pack them very well and list them as pictures.

When the consignment arrive the Oz packers will unload your container and put stickers on High risk items or items which will need to be inspected such as shoes/tents/etc etc. They wont be listed as untreated wooden framed pictures on your consignment- just as pictures. They won't be inspected unless you are very unlucky, pack yourselves, or use a dodgy form who AQUIS have had problems with before.

We had wicker bedframes, wooden untreated bedroom furniture etc which wasn't pulled because it was labelled as a bed frame / bedroom furniture and then packed well.

Good luck.
Yup, i agree, we bought loads of paintings in frames with no problem. For bog standard untreated pine we just bought some clear varnish and applied that. There may be one problem, at the moment there is restrictions in WA for exmaple in movement of pine due to the European wood boring beetle.. not sure how this will effect things, but we shipped loads of antique wooden furniture, African wooden artifacts, pine furniture and paintings with no problem, just declare paintings as such and the wooden furniture and artifacts.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.
I would strongly disagree with the advice to attempt to conceal what they are. Just declare them and you should be fine.

Temptininnit, there are reasons for the rules, and I can't imagine why you'd be proud of sneaking items in without inspection.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:12 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by augigi
I would strongly disagree with the advice to attempt to conceal what they are. Just declare them and you should be fine.

Temptininnit, there are reasons for the rules, and I can't imagine why you'd be proud of sneaking items in without inspection.
The reasons for the rules are...Oz dont want you bringing in any hiddens bugs that might be lurking/hiding/eating your wooden items.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:40 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by augigi

Ouch!!!!

That told me.

I never sneaked them in. My packers packed and labelled as per the rules. When I asked about the wicker or untreated furniture they explained why it would be ok. I cleaned the Ikea wicker bed myself thoroughly and used disinfectant.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I would bring them and declare them. I have brought a few picture frames back with me after visiting the UK. I declared them all, they just glanced at them and let them through
On the other hand, I brought a brand new pair of shoes back with me another time, still in the box and hadn't been worn. They were in my suitcase. I hadn't declared them because it never entered my head to do so, but I got 'chosen' that day....and they took my brand new boxed shoes away because "there's a tiny little speck on one of them" I got them back though, no problems.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

scrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the roughscrappyhappy8 is a jewel in the rough

Ouch!!!!

That told me.

I never sneaked them in. My packers packed and labelled as per the rules. When I asked about the wicker or untreated furniture they explained why it would be ok. I cleaned the Ikea wicker bed myself thoroughly and used disinfectant.
Is normal IKEA laminated units ok? we have a few lounge units ie tv stand bookshelves and display units all to match, These are all chipboard units and all laminated and are really nice, I was thinking of getting a few more to match
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Anyone know if we can take these?
I am hearing different takes on this from several people?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Can you take picture frames into OZ?-african-drums-senegal-10-years-old.jpg   Can you take picture frames into OZ?-large-statue-bought-holland-7-years-ago-origin-possibly-indonesia.jpg   Can you take picture frames into OZ?-ukrainian-hutsuls-ornament-weapon-looks-treated-.jpg   Can you take picture frames into OZ?-regular-wicker-basket-ikea.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.