Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you still keep a UK bank account once you move to Australia?

Can you still keep a UK bank account once you move to Australia?

Old Nov 28th 2003, 4:38 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default Can you still keep a UK bank account once you move to Australia?

Hi there,

I have around £6000 of debt from my student days notched up on my HSBC overdraft and a Egg loan. Just wondered if anybody knows whether uk banks are happy for you to maintain UK accounts whilst living in Australia? Ideally, I want to pay off my debt gradually over a few years whilst paying in electronically once in Australia. Do they insist you settle and close your accounts before leaving? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We have kept our First Direct accounts open even though we have spent 4/6 years outside the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:09 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

If you tell a bank you are moving to australia they may ask for you to pay the debt before going.

I dont think banks can chase a debt in another country so I've heard someone say before, unelse you debt is pretty large !!!

Note, I was sending some australia money home several years ago for my ex-gf to visit me when I was back packing, this was a real pain in the arse, say for example givein exchange rates, charges, 3 Australia dollars equals 1 pound. It really drains your money resouces when in Australia.

If you do have debt, I would try to merge the debt over the maximum number of years, so hopefuly make your monthly payment pretty small and easier to maintain in Australia.

Keep amount money in your account to pay your debt for 3-4 months, this way all you need to do is top it up every other month.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 7:31 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

I have a bank account with lloyds. I also have a credit card with them. I will be keeping my bank account open when i go (I shall tell them I am going on a year break to Oz and get my mail redirected to my mum). I intend to use my card in Oz and pay the statement by online banking. As far as money transfers I am registered with paypal, I intend to use this to pay money into my account (no hassle).
Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Should mention that we have also kept our credit cards with First Direct. However, I do have vague recollections of some questions being asked which may have been trying to ascertain whether we would be able to pay our UK credit cards. Think we got thru because we had no debt and always paid our cards in full.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 12:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've kept my bank account going - internet registereed so I can pay my credit card bills from it and manage it all from over here. Also still using my UK credit cards cos I couldn't afford to clear them. Haven't told any of them I'm out here in case they demand repayment, I'm just getting the bills forwarded to a friends place and he tells me what they are!
Old Nov 29th 2003, 12:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollyana
I've kept my bank account going - internet registereed so I can pay my credit card bills from it and manage it all from over here. Also still using my UK credit cards cos I couldn't afford to clear them. Haven't told any of them I'm out here in case they demand repayment, I'm just getting the bills forwarded to a friends place and he tells me what they are!
It is a shame you could not afford to clear your debts in the UK because the transaction costs of paying off debt from Oz are not cheap. At least with 42p to the $ it will be cheaper than last year when it was 33p.

I just deferred my student loan again and I have a years repayments earning interest but I wish I could get rid of it.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you still keep a UK bank account once you move to Australia?

I've just sorted out my online banking with barclays after getting a paypal account to keep an eye on UK funds.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 2:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame you could not afford to clear your debts in the UK because the transaction costs of paying off debt from Oz are not cheap.
Not a hope I'm afraid, though it would have been nice! Unfortunately love won over common sense and I moved to Oz, where I will have to put up with the transaction costs!! I use a comoany called tranzfers.com to move cash Oz to UK, they seem pretty reasonable, then pay the debts from the UK account.
Thank God I went to college in the dark ages when we had grants instead of loans.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 3:33 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

We still have a bank account in the UK, just use my parents address as the contact address.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:02 am
cob
Just Joined

cob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by joninoxford
Hi there,

I have around £6000 of debt from my student days notched up on my HSBC overdraft and a Egg loan. Just wondered if anybody knows whether uk banks are happy for you to maintain UK accounts whilst living in Australia? Ideally, I want to pay off my debt gradually over a few years whilst paying in electronically once in Australia. Do they insist you settle and close your accounts before leaving? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi
We have a Barclaycard and a Barclays account and we have the mail sent over to Australia and pay by internet banking.
Hope this helps
Cob
Old Nov 29th 2003, 5:05 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi joninoxford,

I'm with Jurpin on this, just redirect you address as your mum & dad's. Use online banking to access the account.

I would try and clear the debt whilst you are in the UK if possible, it would make this easier, but it might not be possible depending upon your finances.

Nice of the UK government to make all English / Welsh university students have a debt problem.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:28 am
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, sounds a good idea reregistering bank accounts under your parents address, but the worry for me is firstly they think at 26 I am debt free (didn't want to worry them) and secondly I don't want to damage their credit rating. Shame you cannot get the banks to mail statements to Australia, but I guess it would cost too much for them to do this. But I'll ask my bank to make sure and report back! Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joninoxford
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, sounds a good idea reregistering bank accounts under your parents address, but the worry for me is firstly they think at 26 I am debt free (didn't want to worry them) and secondly I don't want to damage their credit rating. Shame you cannot get the banks to mail statements to Australia, but I guess it would cost too much for them to do this. But I'll ask my bank to make sure and report back! Cheers
We still have accounts in the UK (with First Direct & had credit cards as well with other banks) & they send all our statements to us here in Aust
Old Nov 29th 2003, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We still have our bank account with Lloyds and they send our statements to our new address here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.