Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you pay travellers cheques into an Oz bank account?

Can you pay travellers cheques into an Oz bank account?

Old May 25th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Default Can you pay travellers cheques into an Oz bank account?

Hi All

Rather than making an electronic transfer I thought I might just get travellers cheques to bring our money with us (as it isn't very much so its not like I will benefit from exchange rates being better etc). Does anyone know if you can pay travellers cheques straight into Aussie bank accounts? We have one with ANZ already so that would be good if we could. What about charges?

Time is getting tight (we fly to Perth on the 4th June :scared: ) - have been so concerned with getting the shippers etc sorted out that I have kind of forgotten about getting the money out there! I know we could always just take cash, but would rather be a bit more secure about it.

Thanks for any info!
Old May 25th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

vics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura aboutvics has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Can you pay travellers cheques into an Oz bank account?

Originally Posted by vics
Hi All

Rather than making an electronic transfer I thought I might just get travellers cheques to bring our money with us (as it isn't very much so its not like I will benefit from exchange rates being better etc). Does anyone know if you can pay travellers cheques straight into Aussie bank accounts? We have one with ANZ already so that would be good if we could. What about charges?

Time is getting tight (we fly to Perth on the 4th June :scared: ) - have been so concerned with getting the shippers etc sorted out that I have kind of forgotten about getting the money out there! I know we could always just take cash, but would rather be a bit more secure about it.

Thanks for any info!
Doh - think I might just have solved my own problem - the Travelex website seems to suggest that I can cash my travellers cheques at any branch of ANZ for a fixed fee of $7. I guess I can then just pay the cash straight into my account if I can't pay the cheques in directly.

So, the question now is, has anyone cashed travellers cheques at ANZ? Just want to check that $7 is really the fee.

Sorry for messing you all about
Old May 25th 2005, 12:22 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough

Yes you can take travellers cheques and pay them straight into your bank account in Oz. We opened our account with travellers Cheques and I have also just sent some over recently from the UK to deposit into my account. I got a slap on the hand for it from the bank though as I avoided paying bank charges this side and the Manager let it go on goodwill.

Good luck in your new home.

Hi All

Thanks for any info!
Old May 25th 2005, 12:48 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gladiatorjw
Yes you can take travellers cheques and pay them straight into your bank account in Oz. We opened our account with travellers Cheques and I have also just sent some over recently from the UK to deposit into my account. I got a slap on the hand for it from the bank though as I avoided paying bank charges this side and the Manager let it go on goodwill.

Good luck in your new home.

You know the bank is going to have to lay off 100 bank employees now to recoup their bank charges you avoided.

Last edited by zx10r_aus; May 25th 2005 at 1:40 pm.
Old May 25th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

Hi All

Thanks for any info!

We arranged to take a bankers draft with us (made out in $aus) we paid it directly into our new account as soon as we opened it. We also took travellers cheques with us (again in $aus) which we were able to pay directly into our account. I can't remember the reason for having the draft but that's what our bank advised us to do and it was really straight forward, just remember to give them a few days notice.
Cheers
Yv