British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   can you loose your pr status (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-you-loose-your-pr-status-306554/)

hank Jun 3rd 2005 3:25 am

can you loose your pr status

This is a Hypothetical question as we have not done it yet!

Can an individual or family have there newly presented PR visa revoked if they,shortly after being awarded said visa decide to return to the UK for a work oppertunity lasting a 5-10 years ? And is it possible to gain citizenship while overseas(UK)

Any local Knowledge much appreciated

ABCDiamond Jun 3rd 2005 3:36 am

Re: can you loose your pr status

Originally Posted by hank
This is a Hypothetical question as we have not done it yet!

Can an individual or family have there newly presented PR visa revoked if they,shortly after being awarded said visa decide to return to the UK for a work oppertunity lasting a 5-10 years ? And is it possible to gain citizenship while overseas(UK)

Any local Knowledge much appreciated

Your PR will expire after 5? years. And returning to Australia will then be difficult, probably requiring you to re-apply all over again.

hank Jun 3rd 2005 3:52 am

I take it you can't re aply/extend visa from overseas?

ABCDiamond Jun 3rd 2005 4:00 am

I take it you can't re aply/extend visa from overseas?

I dont think so. I am also pretty sure you need to have 2 years residence, out of the last 5 to get a Residents Return Visa (RRV)

Have a look at:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/ostravel1.htm

ABCDiamond Jun 3rd 2005 4:08 am

And is it possible to gain citizenship while overseas(UK)

The rules for citizenship are:

How do I become an Australian citizen?
You can apply to become an Australian citizen if you are an Australian permanent resident and you have been present in Australia for a total of at least two years in the last five years, and a total of at least twelve months in the last two years.

So, I feel the answer is No, in your Hypothetical question :)

hank Jun 3rd 2005 4:28 am

Thanks mate you are a fountain of information.

RichS Jun 3rd 2005 4:40 am

That would answer any questioning about losing your PR, but I'm not quite sure what loosening your PR entails.

SuperSeagulls Jun 3rd 2005 7:16 am

To be sure of a 5 year RRV it is wise to have spent 2 years, out of the 5 in Oz - anyhting less than that and a 5 year RRV would be tough - but I think you can get 3 month ones!!!

RE: How do I become an Australian citizen?
You can apply to become an Australian citizen if you are an Australian permanent resident and you have been present in Australia for a total of at least two years in the last five years, and a total of at least twelve months in the last two years.

Great!!! I thought you had to spendn the last 12 months consecutively.

SS

KatieStar Jun 3rd 2005 7:47 am

I also thought you had to spend the whole of the second year in Oz to qualify for citizenship, but it is good you don't as it means you can go overseas for a holiday. I guess it means it would just take that bit longer to get it.

Katie

darkless Jun 3rd 2005 10:22 am

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I also thought you had to spend the whole of the second year in Oz to qualify for citizenship, but it is good you don't as it means you can go overseas for a holiday. I guess it means it would just take that bit longer to get it.

Katie

Do short term trips abroad impact the accumulation of time spent in OZ for the purposes of Citizenship?

It is quite likely that I will have to make several business trips back to the UK for 2 weeks at a time - do they not just overlook this as it is clearly a holiday, not a statement of change to residency?

ABCDiamond Jun 3rd 2005 10:47 am

Originally Posted by darkless
Do short term trips abroad impact the accumulation of time spent in OZ for the purposes of Citizenship?

It is quite likely that I will have to make several business trips back to the UK for 2 weeks at a time - do they not just overlook this as it is clearly a holiday, not a statement of change to residency?

Only is so far as counting the cumulative days residence.

eg: You need to be IN Australia for 730 days during the previous 5 years, and at least 365 days during the previous 2 years.

JAJ Jun 3rd 2005 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by darkless

They just don't count the days. They might if it is a business trip, you would risk adding months to processing time as someone senior in DIMIA needs to sign off on any concessions to the residence requirement.

Make sure you have the full 730 days in Australia when you apply. Then the person on the front desk can ok your application. There's a residence calculator online at http://www.citizenship.gov.au - make use of it.

Jeremy

JAJ Jun 3rd 2005 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by KatieStar
I also thought you had to spend the whole of the second year in Oz to qualify for citizenship,

Lots of people seem to think this, for some reason.

Jeremy

JAJ Jun 3rd 2005 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
To be sure of a 5 year RRV it is wise to have spent 2 years, out of the 5 in Oz - anyhting less than that and a 5 year RRV would be tough - but I think you can get 3 month ones!!!

If you are clearly *living* in Australia then it is usually easier (but not 'easy') to get a 5 year RRV on concessional grounds. However, you do need to prepare your application well, and just visiting Australia won't do.

I'm of the view that it's best to avoid hassle in life. Spend the 2 years in Australia required to get an RRV on a 'no questions asked' basis. Better still - get citizenship and forget about RRVs completely.

Jeremy

micky Jun 3rd 2005 1:12 pm

Here's my predicament.

I have PR visa that expires 11 sept 2007.
I only validated it.
Hoping to be in Perth this year some time.
Should I try and arrive before 11 sept 05.
Does this mean i can apply for citizenship in 2007(cos i'll have resided for 2 years in Perth?
What if I arrive after this date?
Is this when I would apply for RRV :confused:
Or ....oh I don't know - help

Apologies in advance

Shona x