Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you get a visa to work in Oz with Uk debts?

Can you get a visa to work in Oz with Uk debts?

Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

candy babes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you get a visa to work in Oz with Uk debts?

Hi, Im a nurse and am thinking about applying for a visa to work in Oz, either a skilled working visa or a holiday/working visa.

But I am £13000 in debt (a loan)

Am I a no go?
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:19 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get a visa to work in Oz with Uk debts?

Originally Posted by candy babes
Hi, Im a nurse and am thinking about applying for a visa to work in Oz, either a skilled working visa or a holiday/working visa.

Am I a no go?
I dont remember there being a question on any of the migration forms if you are in debt or not. So i think you should be fine.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:24 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Am I a no go?
For working holiday visa i believe you have to show a certain amount of savings. Could you show this?

also a PR visa "shouldnt" be a problem as a nurse but all the best paying it off on the salary you will get.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Am I a no go?
You will need to have a minimum amount of savings (£2000 I think)to get a Working Holiday visa.

To my knowledge, if you are applying for a PR visa such as Skilled Independent 136 then you will not be assessed on your capital; only your job, work experience, age and English language skills (the latter clearly isn't an issue here).

I will be applying as a nurse (psychatric) myself. I would very strongly recommend a visa that gives you instant PR as it's far less hassle.

As far as your debts are concerned, I would deffo check if you're expected to settle up with the bursary/loans folks first or whether you can arrange a sensible repayment schedule. I was told by the Student Loans company that so long as I told them my plans, I could do it this way, though I understand that others who've emigrated with Student Loan debts etc have had demands for big repayments. Take advice on this.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by tonyk38; Aug 30th 2005 at 1:40 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Re: student loans. I have been advised that I can defer for a year. I will have to show my visa etc. Then once I am in employment I must let them know so I can arrange a suitable repayment in light of my reduced Aussie ($) salary. I am waiting for the forms etc as we speak. I have paid off £12K of my student debts off now and it is nice to nearly be free. I have less than 2k to pay off of my student loan. I will pay that from the other side, once i have deferred for a year. I hate debt
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:34 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Am I a no go?
My hubby owes a few thousand in loans but he had no problems getting a 457 visa. He left money in his UK account but didn't declare this when we came to OZ and he will just transfer money to UK when that money runs out. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:57 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Am I a no go?
Shocking credit ratings, debts or pretty much anything adversly financial does not effect your obtaining a visa. It is not something which you have to declare or is asked for. A holiday/working visa has specific requirements though such as the work being casual and temporary and you can only be with an employer for so long etc.

That would live a skilled visa which allows residence and is better in most circumstances simply due to the fact you dont have to leave and fewer restrictions. That and it can lead to citizenship should you wish. You may be better off posting this in the immigration forum with any visa queries. You'll generally get heaps more replies