Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you get a mortgage if you are a contractor?

Can you get a mortgage if you are a contractor?

Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get a mortgage if you are a contractor?

Originally Posted by CDM
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you put down in terms of percentage of the mortgage?

Indeed I'm getting the impression that putting 'enough' money down is what's necessary to grease the skids. The golden question is, then, how much is required? 5%, 10%, 20%? Is there a magic threshold that you need to meet or exceed before mortgage lenders will foork out the cash?

- CDM
It varies between lenders but I would have thought at the moment you would want at least 10% as a deposit, 20% would be much better. The lower the LVR [loan to house value ratio] the happier the bank will be. Obviously if you are putting down 40-50% as a deposit, the banks exposure is much lower and they will be happier.

Often there is a trigger point which varies between banks and different types of property and location. If you want more than a certain LVR [say 90%] then the bank will want mortgage insurance which isn't cheap at all and can still leave you being sued by the insurance company themselves.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Jun 27th 2008 at 6:37 am. Reason: Bad Spelling
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:41 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
It varies between lenders but I would have thought at the moment you would want at least 10% as a deposit, 20% would be much better. The lower the LVR [loan to house value ratio] the happier the bank will be. Obviously if you are putting down 40-50% as a deposit, the banks exposure is much lower and they will be happier.

Often there is a trigger point which varies between banks and different types of property and location. If you want more than a certain LVR [say 90%] then the bank will want mortgage insurance which isn't cheap at all and can still leave you being sued by the insurance company themselves.
Bear in mind that lending criteria has changed in recent months. Deposits over 30% you are basically safe, between 30% and 20% you may now end up paying mortgage insurance (no benefit to yourself, just the mortgage company) but its on a shifting scale so the bigger the deposit the less the impact.

Longer term contracts ie 6 months plus will hold you in better stead than a week to week short term stint.

REgarding credit history - forget raising debt to get a record -things work differently in Oz, they only record adverse credit history so you will never get a better record than when you first arrive.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Nice one Mikey, I'll have that company in mind. Have you been using them long and do you know of other friends or colleagues that have been using them without any problems, recommendations always good ?
I don’t use them – I used to work for them. lol

But my Mum has a mortgage with them (she is self employed contractor) and has had no problems, most of her friends also have one with them, it was also the only bank that would give her a mortgage, and she has a decent rate also (she got the mortgage before I worked there). Most of my colleagues there had mortgages with them (obviously, lol).

They deal with a lot of low doc, self employed, contractor, new arrivals etc, so it’s pretty straight forward and they are a good bank to have a mortgage with.

Here is their website anyway if you want to have a look.

http://www.macquariemortgages.com.au/

Good Luck.

Mikey