Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Can you get the following in Oz!?

Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you get the following in Oz!?

Ok, I'm not fussy, and am not finding myself missing too much food/drinkwise from the UK. However there are a few things I was wondering if you could get, so here goes:

* Ready made polenta: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Image.../41/001341.jpg like this or similar?!

* Sugar free ice-pops or whatever they're called here? Can anybody recommend any brands or show me any pictures as I can't seem to find any in the supermarkets?

* Sugar free fizzy canned drinks, I've come to the realisation that I can't get anything apart from coke or pepsi in a sugar free form in the servos, but are there any nice flavoured sugar free fizzy drinks you can buy in cans or bottles in the supermarkets? This is not something I drink often I might add, but when I do fancy something fizzy, the whole coke thing is wearing very thin, YUCK!

* Chickpeas, either dried, canned or frozen?

* Pickled beetroot, in a jar, like the stuff you'd get back home, I love it with salads, all I've seen is the stuff in the can!?
That's about all for now, your help would be greatly appreciated folks.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:14 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you get the following in Oz!?

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok, I'm not fussy, and am not finding myself missing too much food/drinkwise from the UK. However there are a few things I was wondering if you could get, so here goes:[INDENT][INDENT]

chickpeas are for sale at most regular and asian supermarkets... dried and canned. I buy them all the time from coles/woolies/local SE Asian food shop.

Don't know about the other items as i never usually have those products anyway...
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:23 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

* Sugar free fizzy canned drinks, I've come to the realisation that I can't get anything apart from coke or pepsi in a sugar free form in the servos, but are there any nice flavoured sugar free fizzy drinks you can buy in cans or bottles in the supermarkets? This is not something I drink often I might add, but when I do fancy something fizzy, the whole coke thing is wearing very thin, YUCK!

* Pickled beetroot, in a jar, like the stuff you'd get back home, I love it with salads, all I've seen is the stuff in the can!? [/INDENT][/INDENT]That's about all for now, your help would be greatly appreciated folks.
You can get sugarfree sprite, but I've only seen it in the 1.5/2l bigger bottles. TBH I haven't looked for cans so there may be some out there too. I don't really like coke, don't often drink fizzy - but I'll have a glass of that with some sugar free cordial in - Coola's raspberry crush and lime cordials (two different flavours ) are lovely and refreshing.

The beetroot in a can - we had it for the first time last week (just in case the Polish(?) picked red cabbage we got for the hot pot was disgusting)

Inside the can it was "pickled" and didn't taste too horrific (although it definitely isn't Ross's) - so I've bought a tupperware container just to put it in the fridge so I don't have to eat an entire can!
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Beetroot Jen? Never seen that here, I don't think it's popular
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by copa
chickpeas are for sale at most regular and asian supermarkets... dried and canned. I buy them all the time from coles/woolies/local SE Asian food shop.

Don't know about the other items as i never usually have those products anyway...
Cool, thanks
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:37 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Bummer, beetroots quite nice too! Aw well llol
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:39 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can you get the following in Oz!?

Yep. My wife cooks with these.

* Pickled beetroot, in a jar, like the stuff you'd get back home, I love it with salads, all I've seen is the stuff in the can!?
Thought I saw this in Coles a few weeks ago, but don't quote me on it.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm not fussy, and am not finding myself missing too much food/drinkwise from the UK. However there are a few things I was wondering if you could get, so here goes:

* Ready made polenta: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Image.../41/001341.jpg like this or similar?!

* Sugar free ice-pops or whatever they're called here? Can anybody recommend any brands or show me any pictures as I can't seem to find any in the supermarkets?

That's about all for now, your help would be greatly appreciated folks.
Pickled beetroot and pickled red cabbage like the stuff sold in the UK is not available here. I get mine from the English shop local to me.

Chick peas readily available in all forms.

Can't help with polenta, icy poles or drinks as don't ever buy any of them.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 4:42 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

Thought I saw this in Coles a few weeks ago, but don't quote me on it.
Thought I saw this in Coles a few weeks ago.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Coles does pickled beetroot in a jar, is that not the same stuff as the UK?

Woolies does pickled red cabbage, but dont buy itit has apple in it continential food section if you must.

Chick peas are everywhere.

Soft drinks sugared or othewise, cant abide the stuff
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Maize/Corn Polenta is coming from Defiance/Corson in Warwick. Just about all their production though is for the trade, don't think they do retail.

Most modern and best chickpea plant in Oz is in Goondiwindi QLD...but all this goes for export - mostly back to M&S food producers in UK. Ward McKenzie brand from VIC/SA is not too bad though.
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Maize/Corn Polenta is coming from Defiance/Corson in Warwick. Just about all their production though is for the trade, don't think they do retail.

Most modern and best chickpea plant in Oz is in Goondiwindi QLD...but all this goes for export - mostly back to M&S food producers in UK. Ward McKenzie brand from VIC/SA is not too bad though.

Polenta is also in coles in the pasta section, dont think its that popular as its on the top shelf, comes in boil it yourself and I thougth I saw the ready made gunk, I say gunk as we had a $35 steak in a restaurant and it was served with ready made chunk of said stuff. Like eating yellow foam mattress, however I am sure there are nicer versions
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Polenta is also in coles in the pasta section, dont think its that popular as its on the top shelf, comes in boil it yourself and I thougth I saw the ready made gunk, I say gunk as we had a $35 steak in a restaurant and it was served with ready made chunk of said stuff. Like eating yellow foam mattress, however I am sure there are nicer versions
lol @ gunk, the block of stuff is actually quite nice...trust me lol
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger

Chick peas are grown all over Australia
Kabuli-white chickpea
Desi- red chickpea

most are sold to FIJI -indian merchants

grew them for many years
there is also a spanish chickpea -used to grow it but never saw it for sale in Australia
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:49 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by mulben
Chick peas are grown all over Australia
Kabuli-white chickpea
Desi- red chickpea

most are sold to FIJI -indian merchants

grew them for many years
there is also a spanish chickpea -used to grow it but never saw it for sale in Australia
Ohhhhh intriguing @ the red chickpea!? Hmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.