Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can you drink tap water in perth?

can you drink tap water in perth?

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: can you drink tap water in perth?

Originally Posted by Gegsy Brown
can you drink the tap water in perth? can someone please end this debate i say no oh says yes.
Yes, you can drink Perth tap water but as others say, it doesn't taste pleasant. I worked in my home country (Europe) 11 years in a waterworks. The difference here to the good taste of my home country is, that here the water is chlorinated, contains fluoride, has been filtered etc. But, the taste difference comes from the very few minerals that are in the water, practical nothing much because the soil is so poor and it is mainly surface water if I'm correct. European waters contain many minerals which are good for taste and body. One of our criteria was that the water has to have a pleasant taste. We only added chlorine after the filters have been cleaned. Our water was groundwater and not like here, where most I think is surface water.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Yes, you can drink Perth tap water but as others say, it doesn't taste pleasant. I worked in my home country (Europe) 11 years in a waterworks. The difference here to the good taste of my home country is, that here the water is chlorinated, contains fluoride, has been filtered etc. But, the taste difference comes from the very few minerals that are in the water, practical nothing much because the soil is so poor and it is mainly surface water if I'm correct. European waters contain many minerals which are good for taste and body. One of our criteria was that the water has to have a pleasant taste. We only added chlorine after the filters have been cleaned. Our water was groundwater and not like here, where most I think is surface water.
That's really interesting, never knew that. So does it mean that the tap water here is actually not as good for us, because of having less minerals in it? So we need to get more of those minerals from other sources?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:26 am
ABCDiamond

Approximately half (35-50%) of the water supplied to Perth comes from groundwater supplies.
http://www.watercorporation.com.au/G/groundwater.cfm

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Yes, you can drink Perth tap water but as others say, it doesn't taste pleasant.
it is mainly surface water if I'm correct.We only added chlorine after the filters have been cleaned.
Our water was groundwater and not like here, where most I think is surface water.
Depending where in Perth you live it can be 50% artesian water /20% desal, no where is it only surface (Dam Water ).This applies all down the coast from Geraldton to Mandurah

didnt refresh quick enough -ABCDiamond
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

yes but it tastes disgusting so we use a fridge jug water filter
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough

i think i will stick to the bottled water.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Our water is pretty good, comes mainly from the Hills, with a bit of groundwater from an artesian bore. Summer is the only time they chuck in a bit of desalinated water. We don't need to use a filter or to chill the water. I have noticed when visiting suburbs further north, that the water tastes very chlorinated.

Last edited by HelenTD; Sep 24th 2010 at 3:54 am.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

HazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant futureHazBean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Our water is pretty good, comes mainly from the Hills, with a bit of groundwater from an artesian bore. Summer is the only time they chuck in a bit of desalinated water. We don't need to use a filter or to chill the water. I have noticed when visiting suburbs further north, that the water taste very chlorinated.
I live in the Northen suburbs and have to agree with the above. Sometimes when we run a bath the smell of chlorine is very stong, stronger than our swimming pool. I think I might test the tap water with the pool testing kit to see how stong the chlorine is. We just use a jug filter for the water we drink.

Stu