British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Can you buy a weekend retreat / holiday home near Sydney? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/can-you-buy-weekend-retreat-holiday-home-near-sydney-503032/)

Astronaut Jan 2nd 2008 6:15 pm

Can you buy a weekend retreat / holiday home near Sydney?

Is there a way of getting an affordable holiday home / weekend retreat either in the Northern Beaches area or out South of the city? In the UK you can buy a static mobile home (oxymoron I know) on a decent site on the south coast for about GBP40k, but is there an equivalent type of thing in Australia? I'm guessing that the heat might make a UK style mobile home impractical, but a log or brick cabin with air-con maybe?.

We're planning on moving to Sydney probably living out west somewhere, so the more affordable house might make a holiday home near the beach viable, but I've not seen mention of such a thing in my Aussie research so far.

Any ideas?

Red_V_Roger Jan 2nd 2008 7:52 pm

Re: Can you buy a weekend retreat / holiday home near Sydney?

Originally Posted by Astronaut (Post 5730477)
Is there a way of getting an affordable holiday home / weekend retreat either in the Northern Beaches area or out South of the city? In the UK you can buy a static mobile home (oxymoron I know) on a decent site on the south coast for about GBP40k, but is there an equivalent type of thing in Australia? I'm guessing that the heat might make a UK style mobile home impractical, but a log or brick cabin with air-con maybe?.

We're planning on moving to Sydney probably living out west somewhere, so the more affordable house might make a holiday home near the beach viable, but I've not seen mention of such a thing in my Aussie research so far.

Any ideas?

We have got a little Toyota Hiace Camper Van for weekends (and longer breaks) A lot of the caravan sites we go to appear to have full time residents. Normally they have a quite large touring caravan with a big wooden awrning built on the side. I've seen a few of what you would call UK style static caravans and the mobile homes that come in two pieces.

So yes, I think it can be done...but I don't know where you would look for more info - sorry.

LoobyLoo! Jan 2nd 2008 10:21 pm

We have just been over to Sydney on our reccie and stayed on a holiday village in a wooden cabin, there were loads of long term cabins and static caravans on there and some of the other sites we stayed on.

Check out BIG4 for some sites, we stayed at Sydney Gateway Village.

NickyC Jan 2nd 2008 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Astronaut (Post 5730477)

Any ideas?

There's a caravan park at Narrabeen Lakes on the Northern Beaches. No idea if they have permanent sites though.

Also plenty of caravan parks down south past Wollongong towards Kiama etc.
This is where you'd find a permanent cabin or van site - I've known a couple of people who've had vans somewhere around Gerroa.

Proper houses near a beach close to Sydney will be in the $1m+ category:ohmy:.

Teabag Jan 2nd 2008 11:15 pm

you can have a look on this site:

http://www.aussieshacks.com.au/buy_o...a/for_sale_nsw