Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you buy multi-regional DVD's in Australia?

Can you buy multi-regional DVD's in Australia?

Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:05 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Can you buy multi-regional DVD's in Australia?

I am thinking of whether to buy a multi regional DVD player to take with me to Australia. I would prefer not to have to carry one on the plane, so can anyone tell me if you can buy them in Australia, and also an idea of costs too. Thank you
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:09 am
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you buy multi-regional DVD's in Australia?

Hi,

I purchased a DVD in Australia, LG model,

You then look on the internet, get the unlock code and hey presto its multi-region......
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancity
Hi,

I purchased a DVD in Australia, LG model,

You then look on the internet, get the unlock code and hey presto its multi-region......
Have you got the link to unlock it??? hearsay was that it messed them up, so would like to read a little more on it now seen you have done it without it being messed up.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:15 am
Banned

This depends on your model of DVD player.

Its a simple sequence of numbers, then a switch off and then on.

It was the only time I have done this and worked perfectly, as I have a mixture of region 2 and region 4 dvds.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:16 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

This depends on your model of DVD player.

Its a simple sequence of numbers, then a switch off and then on.

It was the only time I have done this and worked perfectly, as I have a mixture of region 2 and region 4 dvds.
So you have to unlock them then. Do they not just sell normal players that play all regions as spec? how much are the players you have to get the unlock codes for?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by C&R
So you have to unlock them then. Do they not just sell normal players that play all regions as spec? how much are the players you have to get the unlock codes for?
we have bought one and shipped it over for when we land.

can all the dvd players be unlocked???
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:26 am
Banned

I PAID $35 FOR MINE FROM JB HI-FI IN CAPALABA.

TO UNLOCK THEM IS FREE, IF YOU CAN, DO A SEARCH FOR UNLOCK CODES ON THE INET.

YOU WILL EVENTUALLY FIND SOME GEEKY FORUM WITH ALL THE INFORMATION.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:04 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

I PAID $35 FOR MINE FROM JB HI-FI IN CAPALABA.

TO UNLOCK THEM IS FREE, IF YOU CAN, DO A SEARCH FOR UNLOCK CODES ON THE INET.

YOU WILL EVENTUALLY FIND SOME GEEKY FORUM WITH ALL THE INFORMATION.
Ive heard you can buy multi region out there. Ill do some searching............
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:08 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dianej
Ive heard you can buy multi region out there. Ill do some searching............
http://www.homesite.com.au/indoors/l...s-buying-guide

Yes you can and for under $100.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:15 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by C&R
I am thinking of whether to buy a multi regional DVD player to take with me to Australia. I would prefer not to have to carry one on the plane, so can anyone tell me if you can buy them in Australia, and also an idea of costs too. Thank you
Yes i got a Panasonic one when we arrived and its already multi region,so no need to mess about,just plug it and play.Which is just as well as i brought over every dvd i had.
Its in retravision for about $80-$90 and worth every penny.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:17 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
we have bought one and shipped it over for when we land.

can all the dvd players be unlocked???
No,but most can,i had a Sanyo avd as part of my home theatre system back in the UK and there was no known code for it.It was expensive so the cheaper the better for unlocking.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

There's unlock codes for 99% of DVD players - even the cheap Tevion thing I bought for our spare room is now multi-region. Just tap the model number into Google and you'll find links to the remote control key sequence you need to press.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
There's unlock codes for 99% of DVD players - even the cheap Tevion thing I bought for our spare room is now multi-region. Just tap the model number into Google and you'll find links to the remote control key sequence you need to press.
Most shops in Aus will actually give you the unlock code if you ask for it. we have bought a couple here and each time been given the code at the cash desk when we asked

Lisa.x
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We bought a multi region player. Very easy to find and it didn't need to be unlocked or anything. We had no problems playing regino 1 dvd's from the US.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:26 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy multi-zoned dvd players but it's best to take a region 1 or 2 dvd along to test before you buy. I bought a standard dvd/vid combo and emailed the manufacturer asking them for the unlock code. It's quite legal for them to give you this info, so I had no problem converting mine to multi-zone. I paid around $200 for mine a couple of years back (about 3yrs I think).