Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can You bear to stay without money!

Can You bear to stay without money!

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:18 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can You bear to stay without money!

OK w**key post

but for those that come on transfers or dreams that this place is going to pay for the "better lifestyle"! Can you reallly want to stay when you know thát you are paying for weekend with a 75hr wk! a never to be there for kids during the week! and I might be there at weekends??? (unless you have a less nice house and move outside Sydney?)

Just in case you can stay withoutmoney
............and kids...........for how long!?

For all of those looking in I have a lovely lifestyle.....that has somewhat blown up in my face today............and for a few thousand less per annum I am crapping it here in Sydney...

but next day if things turn out right I might like it again........bit like the world over with jobs...and opportunity....and weather.......and doing it all again!

luv sand
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice
Default Re: Can You bear to stay without money!

Originally Posted by Sandra
OK w**key post

but for those that come on transfers or dreams that this place is going to pay for the "better lifestyle"! Can you reallly want to stay when you know thát you are paying for weekend with a 75hr wk! a never to be there for kids during the week! and I might be there at weekends??? (unless you have a less nice house and move outside Sydney?)

For all of those looking in I have a lovely lifestyle.....that has somewhat blown up in my face today............and for a few thousand less per annum I am crapping it here in Sydney...

but next day if things turn out right I might like it again........bit like the world over with jobs...and opportunity....and weather.......and doing it all again!

luv sand
but if you're there for the lifestyle then having a slightly less "nice" house and moving outside of Sydney wouldn't matter. I've been lucky enough to be a guest in some of the most "underpriveleged" areas you could imagine. They still had four walls and a roof, and an infinintely more pleasant way about them. Swings and roundabouts tho, ain't it.... wherever you go is the same, there is no elusive nirvana. we all have to do the best we can with what we have.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it just seems as if you are trying to fund a pre-percieved lifestyle which, perhaps, you don't really need.

Hope this doesn't come across as an unpleasant post, just wanted to put across a different way of looking at it. Whatever happens I hope you end up happy.

jamie x
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:49 pm
Merlot

OK w**key post

luv sand
Sounds as if you are having a bad day luvvie.

For us in comparing Oz to UK, in Oz we personally were financially better off than we are in the UK and worked less hours, but have no kids so this may help as no school fees, medical, etc.

Downside is I felt a isolated from family as came to Oz on a Working Visa and only ever went back to the UK for a holiday. I never intended to say in Oz forever, but stayed 7 years.

Back in the UK, both working our butts off without much to show for it, rent, bills and running a car, so much more expensive and not a £9 Europe flight in sight!!! Find we have less to show for working.

All swings and roundabouts and a crap place to be when feeling low, which ever part of the globe you are in.

Hope things improve soon.

Merlot x

Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:42 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Sounds as if you are having a bad day luvvie.

For us in comparing Oz to UK, in Oz we personally were financially better off than we are in the UK and worked less hours, but have no kids so this may help as no school fees, medical, etc.

Downside is I felt a isolated from family as came to Oz on a Working Visa and only ever went back to the UK for a holiday. I never intended to say in Oz forever, but stayed 7 years.

Back in the UK, both working our butts off without much to show for it, rent, bills and running a car, so much more expensive and not a £9 Europe flight in sight!!! Find we have less to show for working.

All swings and roundabouts and a crap place to be when feeling low, which ever part of the globe you are in.

Hope things improve soon.

Merlot x
As Usual Merlot - you are a star yes I was and am having a bad week/month!

NOpe we do not have a better life money wise in Aus and I have not seen a beach for weeks. I changed jobs - my career prospects are Sydney therefore we are here.

I have just seen my son off tonight back to the UK for a visit for a month and my heart is with him............I hope he finds all is he looking for.

.....onwards and upwards I hope for us, even after three years I still have crappy moments about asking is it still worth it?

Cheers Sandra
Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by Jamiem
but if you're there for the lifestyle then having a slightly less "nice" house and moving outside of Sydney wouldn't matter. I've been lucky enough to be a guest in some of the most "underpriveleged" areas you could imagine. They still had four walls and a roof, and an infinintely more pleasant way about them. Swings and roundabouts tho, ain't it.... wherever you go is the same, there is no elusive nirvana. we all have to do the best we can with what we have.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it just seems as if you are trying to fund a pre-percieved lifestyle which, perhaps, you don't really need.

Hope this doesn't come across as an unpleasant post, just wanted to put across a different way of looking at it. Whatever happens I hope you end up happy.

jamie x
You ask the right questions....I did not move here for a better lifestyle I moved for a change and I got it in bucket loads

There is nowhere is Aus we could have moved for a mortgage free life so we came with a job transfer and because I wanted to work near my children we chose to live near the work offer....etc etc

so I am totally to blame of course for my feelings ....but just sometimes reading the happy to go and never mind what happens posts I just wanted to know if the money was hard would it make the destination less appealing? Or is life the journey?

........for me it is the journey every time....bugger it when I land it is not in a bed of roses
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

You ask the right questions....I did not move here for a better lifestyle I moved for a change and I got it in bucket loads

There is nowhere is Aus we could have moved for a mortgage free life so we came with a job transfer and because I wanted to work near my children we chose to live near the work offer....etc etc

so I am totally to blame of course for my feelings ....but just sometimes reading the happy to go and never mind what happens posts I just wanted to know if the money was hard would it make the destination less appealing? Or is life the journey?

........for me it is the journey every time....bugger it when I land it is not in a bed of roses
For me also, it is always the journey. Different ways of doing things, different people, different customs. Different weather, different place. However, everybody in the world is born and will die and has the same problems no matter where they are. I don't think that (in general) monetary hardships would make the destination less appealing although I can see how sometimes the mind would play tricks on you that way.

My fingers are crossed for you, all the best

jamie
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:35 pm
Merlot

As Usual Merlot - you are a star yes I was and am having a bad week/month!

NOpe we do not have a better life money wise in Aus and I have not seen a beach for weeks. I changed jobs - my career prospects are Sydney therefore we are here.

I have just seen my son off tonight back to the UK for a visit for a month and my heart is with him............I hope he finds all is he looking for.

.....onwards and upwards I hope for us, even after three years I still have crappy moments about asking is it still worth it?

Cheers Sandra
Hi Sandra

Keep posting your feelings as the Forum needs a balanced view.

Hope you are OK after waving off the wee man to the UK, has he landed OK???

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:11 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

OK w**key post

luv sand

75 hr week - no way !!! If you arent finding the lifestyle you want and you are unhappy there in sydney (or just out side, whatever) then can I respectfully suggest you consider going back to UK. Not being funny here but If you aint happy then the best thing is to go back. The longer you stay the less happy you become. Go back while the memories are still semi-good. You can always come back a secnd time when you are more ready or as you seem to be suggesting when you have more money !
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:27 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
75 hr week - no way !!! If you arent finding the lifestyle you want and you are unhappy there in sydney (or just out side, whatever) then can I respectfully suggest you consider going back to UK. Not being funny here but If you aint happy then the best thing is to go back. The longer you stay the less happy you become. Go back while the memories are still semi-good. You can always come back a secnd time when you are more ready or as you seem to be suggesting when you have more money !
With respect, Sandra went on to say further that her post was written on a bad day, we all get them, I could be having one just now as our finances over here in the UK are getting us down and I am juggling the books so to speak.

We moved back to the UK last year and financially worse off as we are paying more our for rent, utilities, etc. Still working hard for our money.

So no hearts and flowers here today. Steam letting allowed!!!!

Merlot

Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:50 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
With respect, Sandra went on to say further that her post was written on a bad day, we all get them, I could be having one just now as our finances over here in the UK are getting us down and I am juggling the books so to speak.

We moved back to the UK last year and financially worse off as we are paying more our for rent, utilities, etc. Still working hard for our money.

So no hearts and flowers here today. Steam letting allowed!!!!

Merlot
It may well have been written on a bad day but if Sandra is having to do a 75 hour week and not being there for her kids I would suggest she doesnt have the lifestle she came to Australia for. From her first post she states she isnt willing to move to a "less nice house" or move outside of sydney, therefore I think my suggestion of looking at the possibility of going back to the UK is valid.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 4:44 pm
Merlot

It may well have been written on a bad day but if Sandra is having to do a 75 hour week and not being there for her kids I would suggest she doesnt have the lifestle she came to Australia for. From her first post she states she isnt willing to move to a "less nice house" or move outside of sydney, therefore I think my suggestion of looking at the possibility of going back to the UK is valid.
I think the message Sandra was trying to say is that the world is the same wherever. Quite often you read of people on this Forum who in their own words think it is going to be easier in Australia or they are going to transform their lives overnight. This can happen but it is also very tough.

I have no qualms to pack a rucksack and settle in a new place (and I am mid 30's) and do it tough for a while, others need more security.

As for moving back to the UK, we have found living back here much more expensive and we were better off in Australia - this is our own personal situation.

Merlot

Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:28 pm
Gone Senile Member

Was originally written on a bad day....and this day isn't much better

I state again I did not come to Aus for lifestyle....just a challenge and a change and if I could of got the other half to go back earlier I possibly would have. But also with both kids now in high school it isn't that easy. You do not bounce around your little ones (getting older as each day goes by).

As for giving up my nice house and area.....we had nice house and better area UK wise so why should I give it up here...the statement I made was a pre counter to people possibly telling me to move on and find somewhere else. For the most part I like it enough here, but not enough to ever think it is better than anywhere else!

And on some of my bad days I just find enough nice people on this site to know moving to Aus was not just me being another blind tosser! :scared:

sandra
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Alison & John is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Can You bear to stay without money!

Was originally written on a bad day....and this day isn't much better

I state again I did not come to Aus for lifestyle....just a challenge and a change and if I could of got the other half to go back earlier I possibly would have. But also with both kids now in high school it isn't that easy. You do not bounce around your little ones (getting older as each day goes by).

As for giving up my nice house and area.....we had nice house and better area UK wise so why should I give it up here...the statement I made was a pre counter to people possibly telling me to move on and find somewhere else. For the most part I like it enough here, but not enough to ever think it is better than anywhere else!

And on some of my bad days I just find enough nice people on this site to know moving to Aus was not just me being another blind tosser! :scared:

sandra
Hi Sandra,

I'm new to the forum, but just wanted to say keep smiling, stiff upper lip etc.

Alison
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:47 pm
Merlot

sandra
That's what we are here for luvvie, for the ups and downs.

M

Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:53 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by Alison & John
Hi Sandra,

I'm new to the forum, but just wanted to say keep smiling, stiff upper lip etc.

Alison

Hello Alison....I think you are well ok....to get on here and be nice to a tosser like me.....best of luck.

Where When and how are you heading to Aus?

don't respond to this thread...start a new one about yourself being new to the forum and tell us a little about yourself and loads of terrified new ones will love to join in and we will get more conversations threads going.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.