Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can you actually make yourself ill?????!!!!

Can you actually make yourself ill?????!!!!

Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Can you actually make yourself ill?????!!!!

Well its 3 days and counting until we go for our medicals. I've been on a health kick for the last two weeks and cut down on all things bad, booze, red meat, fatty stuff...I cannot believe how much my life is revolving around this! I'm counting down the days until we have it and yet as it draws nearer, I'm actually beginning to feel physically sick! Is it just me? Am I mentally unstable or does everyone go through this?! I've even started to dread what they may find wrong with me or my girls during the examinations. So from being a fairly healthy mid 30's adult, I've imagined every worse scenario going. Its a wierd feeling because on the one hand I can't wait until its over and done with but on the other hand the whole thing is scaring the life out of me. It seems so unfair that so much hinges on this. Ive booked myself in for a full day pamper session at a spa tommorow to try to relax a little. I'm sure my blood pressure will be sky high!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you actually make yourself ill?????!!!!

Originally Posted by kellyjs
Well its 3 days and counting until we go for our medicals. I've been on a health kick for the last two weeks and cut down on all things bad, booze, red meat, fatty stuff...I cannot believe how much my life is revolving around this! I'm counting down the days until we have it and yet as it draws nearer, I'm actually beginning to feel physically sick! Is it just me? Am I mentally unstable or does everyone go through this?! I've even started to dread what they may find wrong with me or my girls during the examinations. So from being a fairly healthy mid 30's adult, I've imagined every worse scenario going. Its a wierd feeling because on the one hand I can't wait until its over and done with but on the other hand the whole thing is scaring the life out of me. It seems so unfair that so much hinges on this. Ive booked myself in for a full day pamper session at a spa tommorow to try to relax a little. I'm sure my blood pressure will be sky high!
It's quite normal to feel like that. The meds are really not anywhere near as bad as you imagine them to be. Try to relax and just think of it as going to your own GP for a check up as it's really not any worse than that.

Have a good day tomorrow
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
It's quite normal to feel like that. The meds are really not anywhere near as bad as you imagine them to be. Try to relax and just think of it as going to your own GP for a check up as it's really not any worse than that.

Have a good day tomorrow
Thanks I'll try to do both...listen to your advice AND have a good day tommorow. Its so difficult when so much hinges on this one visit to the doctor though!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I'll try to do both...listen to your advice AND have a good day tommorow. Its so difficult when so much hinges on this one visit to the doctor though!
I know, but the chances of you not passing the medical are very slim.
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

The meds really aren't bad - a chat, your blood pressure, the usual stuff. Just the x-ray that's weird.

But yes, it is possible to make yourself ill. Don't tell anyone, but I used to do it at work. I could get myself looking so ill that I'd be sent home by 11am. Neat trick!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thribble
The meds really aren't bad - a chat, your blood pressure, the usual stuff. Just the x-ray that's weird.

But yes, it is possible to make yourself ill. Don't tell anyone, but I used to do it at work. I could get myself looking so ill that I'd be sent home by 11am. Neat trick!
ha ha ha, not quite what I want to do though, I'd be ok if I could have a couple of vodkas before I went in but think that may show up so better not eh?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

The whole immigration process is very stressful. Just do a google search for "symptoms of stress" and you'll see you are suffering from STRESS.

I've had so much nausea and heartburn these past couple weeks and I know it is down to too much STRESS.

Enjoy your pamper session at a spa tommorow - what a clever idea to relax

Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luma
The whole immigration process is very stressful. Just do a google search for "symptoms of stress" and you'll see you are suffering from STRESS.

I've had so much nausea and heartburn these past couple weeks and I know it is down to too much STRESS.

Enjoy your pamper session at a spa tommorow - what a clever idea to relax
The pamper day is actually a birthday pressy bought for me last October but I have been so STRESSED with OZ that I havent yet used the voucher! lol. :scared: I will let you know how I get on, maybe I can negotiate a discount for all wannabe OZ migrants?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:30 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Try and find some breathing and relaxation exercises on the web. You will find some that you can do easily in the docs waiting room. Otherwise you will get yourself so worked up you fill find that you suffer from white coat high blood pressure ie high bp when you have it tested by a doc - this is quite common but obviously means you could end up having more tests. Just relax it will be fine.
(dont have any alcohol either as this can raise your bp)
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benny the ball
Try and find some breathing and relaxation exercises on the web. You will find some that you can do easily in the docs waiting room. Otherwise you will get yourself so worked up you fill find that you suffer from white coat high blood pressure ie high bp when you have it tested by a doc - this is quite common but obviously means you could end up having more tests. Just relax it will be fine.
(dont have any alcohol either as this can raise your bp)
Thats the thing, I've been so good! My usual method of stress relief is a nice bottle of Ozzie red in the evening and for the last two weeks I've cut that out. Lost a bit of weight, still on 3-4 large coffees a day though...thinking about those breathing exercies....maybe my bp will be low but they'll refuse me on the grounds of mental insanity!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

butch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the roughbutch&shell is a jewel in the rough

i am sure everything will be ok for you guys. can i just ask you a question did you wait untill they requested your meds or are you frontloading them?
how old are your daugthers i have two boys nearly 5 and 2 do they have the same medical as us? i have just printed the forms off (form160 and form 26
hope i have printed the correct ones). we are in two minds to wait until they request them or book them. ENJOY YOUR DAY TOMORROW!! many thanks michelle x
Old Apr 7th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by butch&shell
i am sure everything will be ok for you guys. can i just ask you a question did you wait untill they requested your meds or are you frontloading them?
how old are your daugthers i have two boys nearly 5 and 2 do they have the same medical as us? i have just printed the forms off (form160 and form 26
hope i have printed the correct ones). we are in two minds to wait until they request them or book them. ENJOY YOUR DAY TOMORROW!! many thanks michelle x
Hi
Quite a few people do front load their meds although I waited until they were requested. My application (non MODL Skilled independent) was lodged at the beginning of august and although I was told I would hear by 4-6 months, it was almost 8 months before I was assigned a case officer. If I had my meds done thinking I would hear in the timescale I was told I would have very little time between my visa being granted and having to go to Oz to get my visa validated (don't forget validation is expected by 12 months from your medical, not your Visa being granted) Its a risk you take and a very expensive one at that! If your children are under 11 they won't need x rays or aids tests. My daughters are 12 and 13 so have to have x rays but not aids tests. Be careful and shop around with your doctor..I called 2 and one of them insisted that my daughters would need aids tests which a) costs more money but more importantly b) Is an uneccessary and ridiculous request for two young girls!!!! I was quite annoyed about this and when I called the 2nd doctor I spoke to his receptionist who was informative and also quite shocked!
Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:14 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Kelly, if only you knew.

I have had TB, cancer, rabies, Hep B/A and all other letters of the alphabet, HIV, malaria, 3 livers and 4 uteruses.

Every headache is a brain tumour and every cough is a disease of some sort.

I rarely drink these days, apart from brandy when i had a cold, just because I dont enjoy it now. We have changed our diet for the better and I get enough exercise just working in London.

Im alot calmer now, there is nothing I can do and I have to have the meds and tests that go with it and like you, I stressed myself out over it.

We have just over a week so quite simply, we shall carry on eating healthily, I have my BMI down to 26 which is only a tad over, and Im thinking about other things.

I so sympathise with you and we all know how you are feeling.

Just relax or try to and go with it. Change bad habits for your own health, accept what cant be changed and thats it.

Im still scared, but not half as much.

Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exclamation Re: Can you actually make yourself ill?????!!!!

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Oh Kelly, if only you knew.

I have had TB, cancer, rabies, Hep B/A and all other letters of the alphabet, HIV, malaria, 3 livers and 4 uteruses.

Every headache is a brain tumour and every cough is a disease of some sort.

I rarely drink these days, apart from brandy when i had a cold, just because I dont enjoy it now. We have changed our diet for the better and I get enough exercise just working in London.

Im alot calmer now, there is nothing I can do and I have to have the meds and tests that go with it and like you, I stressed myself out over it.

We have just over a week so quite simply, we shall carry on eating healthily, I have my BMI down to 26 which is only a tad over, and Im thinking about other things.

I so sympathise with you and we all know how you are feeling.

Just relax or try to and go with it. Change bad habits for your own health, accept what cant be changed and thats it.

Im still scared, but not half as much.

I really thought I was the only one who had already diagnosed myself with several life threatening illnesses just because of this MEDICAL! I've always liked a drink and I must admit giving up the red wine has probably been the toughest part, but totally relate to what you say about not enjoying it. I've had a drink twice since I got the letter requesting meds and felt so guilty afterwards and that was only after 3 glasses! You can't help but think what if I get there and something goes wrong that could have been avoided? I'm feeling really guilty today because I've drank 3 cans of diet pepsi and 2 coffees! Been on a diet, lost a few pounds so thats not too much of an issue. One thing that is a bonus is that mines on Monday so a little less to wait than you, one way or the other come monday afternoon hopefully its all over. It just goes to show how much we all want our visas though. We are all so dedicated. I think we need to have something to look forward to after the meds and plan something for afterwards, to wind down, because we all seem to be winding ourselves up so much over this! I've already got my Monday night planned. It involves a big juicy steak, big bar of chocolate and a bottle of champagne with a straw! Good luck with yours and everyone else in the same boat x
Old Apr 7th 2006, 6:46 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I really thought I was the only one who had already diagnosed myself with several life threatening illnesses just because of this MEDICAL! I've always liked a drink and I must admit giving up the red wine has probably been the toughest part, but totally relate to what you say about not enjoying it. I've had a drink twice since I got the letter requesting meds and felt so guilty afterwards and that was only after 3 glasses! You can't help but think what if I get there and something goes wrong that could have been avoided? I'm feeling really guilty today because I've drank 3 cans of diet pepsi and 2 coffees! Been on a diet, lost a few pounds so thats not too much of an issue. One thing that is a bonus is that mines on Monday so a little less to wait than you, one way or the other come monday afternoon hopefully its all over. It just goes to show how much we all want our visas though. We are all so dedicated. I think we need to have something to look forward to after the meds and plan something for afterwards, to wind down, because we all seem to be winding ourselves up so much over this! I've already got my Monday night planned. It involves a big juicy steak, big bar of chocolate and a bottle of champagne with a straw! Good luck with yours and everyone else in the same boat x
I felt I had to change my habits, which were not that bad I suppose, after I lost my Mum.

I just felt I owed it to myself to get healthier.

But I can safely say champers will be on the cards if we get the visa.

I like you, just want our meds out of the way.