Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:14 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can where you come from in the uk make a difference

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes it does make a difference. I also makes a difference what kind of social network you have. I have never in my 7 years of moving around the world understood why people with a great social network and people who see at least one member of their family every day would choose to emigrate, its beyond me.
:scared: That's us!!! :scared:

*races off to cancel Dima cheque*
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:22 pm
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

I am emigrating from Torquay.

Will be moving on a 139 visa to Melbourne in Summer 2007 hopefully.

I am afraid to say that having grown up on the English Riviera, we are now subject to the same problems as the rest of country. Drugs, booze culture, lack of respect for one's environment and neighbours. More so, as we are now now seen as a nice place to 'stay' when claiming the dole. After all why be sat in Brum or Liverpool claiming your DSS cheques when you can have a nice 6 month holiday on the state in Torquay eh?

I will always thought I would be proud to be British, but the last few years have changed that and personally I cant wait to have Christmas next year on a warm beach somewhere away from Eastenders and Rip off Britain.

I dont think it matters it matters where you are from, but I think it matters what kind of person you are, after all a sociable person is going to integrate and enjoy life more than someone who isn't, regardless of your background.

Possibly?

Originally Posted by aston man
i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies),its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought
,,,now if i lived in the country side or by the sea.why would yopu go to oz?

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?

i once met a scouser and have spoken to others since and asked them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

cockneys,how would you go with out all those shops and entertainment..
thats why all the foreign football players like playing in the capitol..

geordies,how would you cope without newcastle united..

how many people would emigrate from Torquay..(flippin hell thats a hard word)?

well i think i am on to a winner being from brumm,..

any thoughts...???
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
I am emigrating from Torquay.

Will be moving on a 139 visa to Melbourne in Summer 2007 hopefully.

I am afraid to say that having grown up on the English Riviera, we are now subject to the same problems as the rest of country. Drugs, booze culture, lack of respect for one's environment and neighbours. More so, as we are now now seen as a nice place to 'stay' when claiming the dole. After all why be sat in Brum or Liverpool claiming your DSS cheques when you can have a nice 6 month holiday on the state in Torquay eh?

I will always thought I would be proud to be British, but the last few years have changed that and personally I cant wait to have Christmas next year on a warm beach somewhere away from Eastenders and Rip off Britain.

I dont think it matters it matters where you are from, but I think it matters what kind of person you are, after all a sociable person is going to integrate and enjoy life more than someone who isn't, regardless of your background.

Possibly?

I have to disagree on the Eastenders point - it never fails to make me realise that my life is not as bad as all that!
Think you're right about the type of person though - someone who is very sociable in the UK is sure to feel a 'bump' when landed in Oz with no mates, but they are likely to build up a new social network. Equally a very introverted & isolated person in the UK may have the same lifestyle in Oz. There must be a happy medium somewhere!?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

i have often thought where you come from in england,can it make a difference how easy it is to fit in ,in oz.

for instance i live in brum and to be honest(sorry brummies),its not the best place in the u.k to live,so i would see that this can only make things easier for me..i would of thought

being called a pom would be water off a ducks back for me.us brummies are used to people having a go..not many tv presenters from brum are there??
i wonder why...?

i once met a scouser and have spoken to others since and asked them what he told me,its flippin madness,,
he told me he did not consider himself english,more of a scouser..jeezus ,now i would say he would struggle...

any thoughts...???

I grew up just outside London and I moved away to ireland six years ago and have never missed it. Ireland is a beatiful country, the people are friendly and we have a nice house, but unfortunately the weather is not the greatest, it has rained here pretty much every day for the past three weeks. If we were all so happy with where we were living, none of us would be moving to Australia. I would happily trade shops etc for a bit of sunshine, being able to sit outside of an evening with a glass of wine, and being able to arrange a BBQ and be relatively sure you weren't going to get rained off.

Dolly
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I grew up just outside London and I moved away to ireland six years ago and have never missed it. Ireland is a beatiful country, the people are friendly and we have a nice house, but unfortunately the weather is not the greatest, it has rained here pretty much every day for the past three weeks. If we were all so happy with where we were living, none of us would be moving to Australia. I would happily trade shops etc for a bit of sunshine, being able to sit outside of an evening with a glass of wine, and being able to arrange a BBQ and be relatively sure you weren't going to get rained off.

Dolly

No, but you might get evacuated because of bush fires!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Margaret3
If i had lots of family around and lots of close friends , no way on this earth would i move I can't understand that one either
We've had two kids here and brought them up alone and i mean entirely alone, I know its gonna be tough emigrating with them, but its been tough here living with them :scared: (only joking). What i mean is its been tough doing it alone i.e bringing them up, juggling work when thier sick, etc, the worst part is when they come home with school forms , stating alternative next of kin for emergencies, and i have to write 'none', phone me at work in big capital letters. , OH and i haven't been out together for around 15 years, and i know some people will never believe that, but once you've paid for child care during the day, there's not many pennies left to pay for it at night I would say this is one of the reasons we're in the 'Billy no mates club', coz people got fed-up asking us to their home or out and we had to refuse coz not baby sitter or no money

Hi Margaret, we are deffo in your situation, no family near us, both working, 2 kids, juggling or lives to manage, we have done this completely on our own and have coped fine, wife and i have had 1 night out together in the last 2 years,( so slightly better than you).
Then i here people moaning about not having any time when they are dropping their kids off at the grandparents every other weekend! Ahhggg!
So shall we start a Billy no mates club ,and then we can all not turn up because we have no babysitter!!! wow , cheap evening out!

Simon
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carryon
Hi Margaret, we are deffo in your situation, no family near us, both working, 2 kids, juggling or lives to manage, we have done this completely on our own and have coped fine, wife and i have had 1 night out together in the last 2 years,( so slightly better than you).
Then i here people moaning about not having any time when they are dropping their kids off at the grandparents every other weekend! Ahhggg!
So shall we start a Billy no mates club ,and then we can all not turn up because we have no babysitter!!! wow , cheap evening out!

Simon
Don't worry you will be able to go out if your off to mellie, my oldest is now 15 and luvs kids except her wee sister (age 8), so we're stuck in for another few years
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by esperanza
No, but you might get evacuated because of bush fires!
Nowhere is perfect. At least the bushfires are eventually put out, sometimes it feels like it never stops raining here.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Don't worry you will be able to go out if your off to mellie, my oldest is now 15 and luvs kids except her wee sister (age 8), so we're stuck in for another few years

Thanks Margaret but were going to Adelaide... that will be one hell of a trip to do a bit of babysitting,
Oh well , just another 10 or so years of brain damage off the kids :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2006, 6:54 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

i wonder why...?

any thoughts...???
My family are from aston for the last 6 generations or so. I have spent most of my life here, except when we were first married and we lived in London for a while. I think perhaps it might make a difference, but I reckon it's how you go into it from your own mindset, and what you expect. We hate the weather and traffic, nothing worse than sitting through the M6 roadworks day after day waiting to move. For example a one hour job (reasonable distance away) will take 4 hours because of the congestion, which I know it is there in parts of Australia, but not on the scale of how it is in the UK. Plus for the sake of the kids future we feel it's the right thing. Both me and the wife are close to our Mothers, but we have the responsibility to do the best for the kids and at least owe it to them to give them the best start we can. If they choose to return then I would accept the decision. We are lucky though because my skills are in high demand I got a job out there no trouble and at the same level of pay.
Aston Man, if you read this look me up when you've got time for
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:05 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iceman
My family are from aston for the last 6 generations or so. I have spent most of my life here, except when we were first married and we lived in London for a while. I think perhaps it might make a difference, but I reckon it's how you go into it from your own mindset, and what you expect. We hate the weather and traffic, nothing worse than sitting through the M6 roadworks day after day waiting to move. For example a one hour job (reasonable distance away) will take 4 hours because of the congestion, which I know it is there in parts of Australia, but not on the scale of how it is in the UK. Plus for the sake of the kids future we feel it's the right thing. Both me and the wife are close to our Mothers, but we have the responsibility to do the best for the kids and at least owe it to them to give them the best start we can. If they choose to return then I would accept the decision. We are lucky though because my skills are in high demand I got a job out there no trouble and at the same level of pay.
Aston Man, if you read this look me up when you've got time for
hey iceman,my family are all from aston and handsworth,aston churchlane.
my lot used to live where the aston expressway is now by the church,

im in great barr now. i know what you mean about the m6,hey we must be on a winner ,as i have said before.
aston
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Nowhere is perfect. At least the bushfires are eventually put out, sometimes it feels like it never stops raining here.
Dolly I agree with you completely, I too cannot wait to escape from the miserable grey weather that dominates this foggy island for six months of the year. I just hope my house doesn't burn down in Australia! Will build a moat...

Like you said, nowhere's perfect.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:13 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

hey iceman,my family are all from aston and handsworth,aston churchlane.
my lot used to live where the aston expressway is now by the church,

im in great barr now. i know what you mean about the m6,hey we must be on a winner ,as i have said before.
aston
aston,
my lot sre from Heneage Street. The old houses have long since gone now-I'm not far from you, just off J2 M5. I know what you mean about the winner, still I will miss the trips to Villa Park, but not enough to stop us going. Do you want an internet dial up program for you visit. Theres $10 credit on it. If so, PM your address and I'll send it (noticed another post you had going)
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:21 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iceman
aston,
my lot sre from Heneage Street. The old houses have long since gone now-I'm not far from you, just off J2 M5. I know what you mean about the winner, still I will miss the trips to Villa Park, but not enough to stop us going. Do you want an internet dial up program for you visit. Theres $10 credit on it. If so, PM your address and I'll send it (noticed another post you had going)
thats really nice of you,i am going to just use a few cafes now,its all too much hassle.but thanks for the offer,
j2 m5,hey why didn't you come to the meet up.you will have to come on the next one ,it was at the pint and two halves.thats by you isn't it?

a member sent me an email about an Ozzie supporters club but i have lost his contact details,you will have to join..there will be three of us..

where you off to..
ast..
Old Dec 11th 2006, 7:29 pm
The Master of Disaster

thats really nice of you,i am going to just use a few cafes now,its all too much hassle.but thanks for the offer,
j2 m5,hey why didn't you come to the meet up.you will have to come on the next one ,it was at the pint and two halves.thats by you isn't it?

a member sent me an email about an Ozzie supporters club but i have lost his contact details,you will have to join..there will be three of us..

where you off to..
ast..
Split at the moment, so down to the wife. But will be either Perth or Queensland (I've got a job in each). The one and two halves is 10 mins from here. We ended up using internet cafes because of the aggro with the phones where we were staying it was on a switchboard system. How near are you now ? Our Police checks came back today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.