Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we take our land line phones

Can we take our land line phones

Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough
Default Can we take our land line phones

Does anyone know if they work in Oz?
Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can we take our land line phones

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
Cheers
Hi,I dont think they do unless they are I-dect phones...dont know what that means or why but I'm sure it was on here somewhere...hope this helps

Steve
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:21 am
Banned

Nursinghelpfulhints is an unknown quantity at this point

No, and neither to TV's
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursinghelpfulhints
No, and neither to TV's
Some TVs will work, and most will if the signal is run through a set-top-box or similar. Or you can use them linked to DVD/Video player, or PS2/xbox etc.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:59 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

No, and neither to TV's
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417845
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No
Yes they do if you use an adaptor.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gaz & Sue
Cheers
There is a way. I found a link the other day for one of the migration info sites where somebody showed loads of pictures of how to swap the wires in the Aus plug so that it would work, quite simple if you can do such things.

I've got fairly expensive Dect phones and really didnt want to sell them for hardly anything just to buy the same over there.

I'll get the link tonight when I get back on my PC if you want it.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
There is a way. I found a link the other day for one of the migration info sites where somebody showed loads of pictures of how to swap the wires in the Aus plug so that it would work, quite simple if you can do such things.

I've got fairly expensive Dect phones and really didnt want to sell them for hardly anything just to buy the same over there.

I'll get the link tonight when I get back on my PC if you want it.
You can get an adaptor from Maplins that does the job. Costs about 5 quid. I have one and it works.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:35 pm
Thinking of returning

mattyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours worked when we got there, no problems.

Matty D
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:10 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

As others above have said, if your phones are DECT phones, then they will work.

And you don't need to mess around with the wires in the phone, just get an adaptor before you leave the UK from here:
http://www.maplin.co.uk

Top right of the web page is the "search" box. Type: VD36P and hit "search". Scroll down the page. There'll be two items listed. Choose the "VD36P". Costs £6.99. Don't be put off that it says "BT/US Adaptors". It's the correct one for Oz as well: "Adaptors to connect equipment with a UK plug into an RJ11 socket." Oz also has RJ11 sockets.

Gina
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the roughGaz & Sue is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies guys. Very useful. I'm gonna look on the maplin website later.
Cheers
Gaz
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've found the same thing for £3.99 on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phone-Modem-Ad...QQcmdZViewItem

Does it look like the right sort?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

So I presume an ADSL filter is still needed? if so then will any RJ11 adaptor work?

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:37 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
So I presume an ADSL filter is still needed? if so then will any RJ11 adaptor work?

Thanks
Yes ADSL splitters have no effect on this question they still provide the same connection.

UK phones work no problem DECT or not. DECT is just the radio signal between the handset and the base - its got nothing to do with the socket in the wall .

You can buy the adapters out here in Aus too for the same sort of price.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: Can we take our land line phones

We had BT digital phones whichwe brought over. They didn't work here and we had to buy new phones here. Bit of a nuisance they were only six months old!