Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can We Survive In Perth???

Can We Survive In Perth???

Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can We Survive In Perth???

Originally Posted by smidsy
Mind if I ask your location(suburb?), cause thats the kind of budget we were thinking. Just bfor my curiosity.
We're in Butler so if you're looking NOR you can still find blocks in the 600 m² range in Alkimos (next suburb north) for a decent price. I've really only seen smaller blocks left in Butler, but there are new releases all the time.

We're about 5 minutes from the beach (by car) although with the pool we seldom go to the beach unless it's to walk the dogs. The train is due to be here in 2014 but for now we're 7 or 8 minutes drive to Clarkson train station. They're working on the shopping district now and it's due to be open in 2014 as well.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Keefo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We're in Butler so if you're looking NOR you can still find blocks in the 600 m² range in Alkimos (next suburb north) for a decent price. I've really only seen smaller blocks left in Butler, but there are new releases all the time.

We're about 5 minutes from the beach (by car) although with the pool we seldom go to the beach unless it's to walk the dogs. The train is due to be here in 2014 but for now we're 7 or 8 minutes drive to Clarkson train station. They're working on the shopping district now and it's due to be open in 2014 as well.
I have just looked at photos of Butler......looks very nice and lucky you
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with most of the posts here, especially the one saying rents going to be $430. I rented in perth for $300 for a couple of years then moved and it went up to $320, which I thought was way to expensive. This is for a 3 bed house, garage, small garden.
So there are plenty of rents cheaper and in good locations, mine were in Balcatta, morley and clarkson, never had any trouble in any of those places and the first two are only 15 mins from the city. So you dont need to pay $430.

The cost of food is more expensive but not excessivly so.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

broxikid74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Dear................my family and I are potentially moving to Perth, with a projected joint income of $120000.

Having read through the thread,im a little disheartened to say the least at the comments from people regarding the cost of living. Having done plenty research regarding renting and buying,my prime aim was to buy as soon as possible, without wasting money on renting property, that said we were also unsure as to the eligibility of obtaining a mortgage,ie length of time required in the country before a lender will lend? We are looking at north west Perth ie Butler, Quinns Rock, Oceans Reef, Mindarie, Jindaloop etc etc, with a view to my job being based in Midland. Having also spent some time looking at supermarket shopping,it doesnt appear to be too expensive compared to the UK,therefore can only assume that the major expense is rental and utility bills,OR am I missing something
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:18 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by broxikid74
Oh Dear................my family and I are potentially moving to Perth, with a projected joint income of $120000.

Having read through the thread,im a little disheartened to say the least at the comments from people regarding the cost of living. Having done plenty research regarding renting and buying,my prime aim was to buy as soon as possible, without wasting money on renting property, that said we were also unsure as to the eligibility of obtaining a mortgage,ie length of time required in the country before a lender will lend? We are looking at north west Perth ie Butler, Quinns Rock, Oceans Reef, Mindarie, Jindaloop etc etc, with a view to my job being based in Midland. Having also spent some time looking at supermarket shopping,it doesnt appear to be too expensive compared to the UK,therefore can only assume that the major expense is rental and utility bills,OR am I missing something
We're a family of 2 adults and 1 teenager living at home and one who lives with us weekends. Our weekly grocery bill is anywhere from $250-300. We do our main shopping at Coles but buy meat and veg at Drover's marketplace.

I really wouldn't think of renting as "wasting" money. It's always a good idea to rent for at least 6 months to make sure you're in an area that suits you. It would really suck to get here and buy a place 2 weeks later that is too far from work or not so great school boundary or crap neighbourhood, etc. We rented for our first 3 years in Australia and the lower cost helped us save a shed load of money.

I also agree with Dave that rent doesn't have to be terribly expensive. Our place in Clarkson was $425 wk for a brand new 4x2 with air con. We could easily have rented something smaller for less than $400 wk but we were used to a large house so didn't really want to downsize too much.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:20 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Irrespective of what I think of those areas I wouldn't want to live in any of them and travel to Midland to work. That is one hell of a journey.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Originally Posted by smidsy
Thats pretty good, excellent location !

Off topic, I bloody HATE our estate agent. Never dealt with one before, and they make you feel like sh1t on their shoe. We're even seriously thinking of buying a house, just cause we hate our agent. I hope they are not all like ours.
I agree on that one, and as such have already looked at buying. The Estate Agents seem to think they are on par with God here!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

nicolac34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave99
I disagree with most of the posts here, especially the one saying rents going to be $430. I rented in perth for $300 for a couple of years then moved and it went up to $320, which I thought was way to expensive. This is for a 3 bed house, garage, small garden.
So there are plenty of rents cheaper and in good locations, mine were in Balcatta, morley and clarkson, never had any trouble in any of those places and the first two are only 15 mins from the city. So you dont need to pay $430.

The cost of food is more expensive but not excessivly so.
I didn't say you have to pay $430 in rent - I was giving an example of how much we pay and the suburb we live. Of course if you go further out you'll get cheaper rents and more for your money. For us being closer to the City (work) and walking distance to lots of bars and restaurants is worth it. Others will have different priorities!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

We pay $500 in Secret Harbour. It is a big 4x2 in a good location (for us anyway) admittedly but we pay a lot less than people with smaller older houses in the city and surrounding areas.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget to take into account: school fees, doctors bills, prescription medicine, dental, sports activities for the children, rego (road tax), petrol.

Australia is so expensive, it will shock you how expensive. I have lived here 8 years and now and again I still buy something and think OMG I can't believe I paid $14 for one teeny tube of mouth ulcer cream We earn more over here than we did in the UK however things are much more tight, we earn more than $120k a year, we are a family of four and we still struggle some weeks, having said that don't let it stop you, your children may not eat non stop (two huge growing teenagers).
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:16 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by northernbird
Irrespective of what I think of those areas I wouldn't want to live in any of them and travel to Midland to work. That is one hell of a journey.
Oh, you're right! I didn't even twig to the Midland thing! If my husband was working in Midland we would be looking to live somewhere in the hills - Lesmurdie, Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda way.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Petrol is cheaper than at home. Food is a little more expensive. Alcohol is much more expensive, although wine is ok priced if you drink that. Clothes vary hugely as they do at home. Some sports are expensive just like at home. I have a company car so I don't know about that, I did at home also. I know cars are expensive to buy but they can be at home too.
Foxtel (Sky equivalent) is more, (about $120 for full package, was 50 sterling at home), Internet/broadband is more here so are mobile phones.

Other than those I find it ok. Council tax is in with rent so I don't pay that. Utility bills are cheaper than the UK. It is a bit more expensive in general, but I found after reading on here before I came it is cheaper than I was expecting!
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:37 am
Just Joined

broxikid74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info guys.

It all sounds a bit daunting now to be honest

Our combined potential salary would be around $120k, which I initially thought would afford us a rather lavish lifestyle with a nice big house with a pool etc etc, however im now a little more reserved in those thoughts.

How long is the commute from Butler to Midland?

Cheers in advance folks
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by macy
Don't forget to take into account: school fees, doctors bills, prescription medicine, dental, sports activities for the children, rego (road tax), petrol.

Australia is so expensive, it will shock you how expensive. I have lived here 8 years and now and again I still buy something and think OMG I can't believe I paid $14 for one teeny tube of mouth ulcer cream We earn more over here than we did in the UK however things are much more tight, we earn more than $120k a year, we are a family of four and we still struggle some weeks, having said that don't let it stop you, your children may not eat non stop (two huge growing teenagers).
That is good to know that you can survive on around $120k with a family of 4 as their would only be and my wife and until I found work as mentioned earlier she would be the only one working on around $70k. I just hope I don't get an ulcer ha ha
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to live within 45 mins of Perth/Melbourne or Adelaide in a half decent area? We are thinking of those 3 places even though the weather in Melbourne is not as nice. The rentals look to better priced for what you get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.