Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we legally take Medical Notes from GP?

Can we legally take Medical Notes from GP?

Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we legally take Medical Notes from GP?

Good morning all,
I was just wondering what process we should follow regarding taking our medical notes from our GP?
Obviously we want to take our notes with us, but might it be easier to post them after we have moved?
Thanks very much
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can we legally take Medical Notes from GP?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Good morning all,
I was just wondering what process we should follow regarding taking our medical notes from our GP?
Obviously we want to take our notes with us, but might it be easier to post them after we have moved?
Thanks very much
There have been many threads on this before, but one important thing to be aware of, is that few Doctors over here will even want to see them.

Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:43 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Good morning all,
Thanks very much
You can ask for copies of your notes sometimes this is done at a charge.

Sasha
Old Dec 20th 2004, 7:51 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Good morning all,
Thanks very much
You can't legally take them because they do not belong to you; they belong to the NHS. You can ask them for a copy.

Regards
Alistair
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:25 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Good morning all,
Thanks very much

Hi it all depends on your doctor some will give you them but for a fee, but like it was said earlier the doctore over here dont even ask for them,i paid 30.00 british pounds (sorry my keyboard only has dollar signs on it)for my daughters medicaal notes and we havent even used them

Leanne
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Leanne and Alistair,
I'll just ask for my pregnancy (am high risk) notes then as the others aren't very important.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:36 am
Go Banana's !!

Good morning all,
Thanks very much
We had the same issue as indicated by the other posters. We got copies of all ours, as you need immunisation records for registration at schools, or at least we did.

Be careful, mine threw up some stuff that was scary :scared:

Jill

Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
We had the same issue as indicated by the other posters. We got copies of all ours, as you need immunisation records for registration at schools, or at least we did.

Be careful, mine threw up some stuff that was scary :scared:

Jill
Mine contained info on medical conditions of two completely different people.... :scared:
Old Dec 20th 2004, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Good morning all,
Thanks very much
I asked that question a month or so ago, and the doctor said that, it's not possible to take them as someone else has said they are NHS notes. She took note of anything that might be of interest for me though, ie. the name of my pill, and it's main components as she explained sometimes it'll not be available but something with similar components will be. Helps the doc out at the other end.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

[Thanks LOgan, Nothing crucial in them anyway I don't think.

What about getting Life Insurance though?
Old Dec 20th 2004, 8:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to a copy of your notes. If the doctor won't hand them over and you feel you want them, go to your local NHS Trust and mention the Data Protection Act.
Been discussed on here many times, try a search for more info....
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Under the Data Protection Act you are entitled to a copy of your notes. If the doctor won't hand them over and you feel you want them, go to your local NHS Trust and mention the Data Protection Act.
Been discussed on here many times, try a search for more info....
Unfortunately, not all of it is held on computers.

Regards
Alistair
Old Dec 20th 2004, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Unfortunately, not all of it is held on computers.

Regards
Alistair
No, but you are allowed a copy of your notes as well. You can't have the original, but you can have a copy. Though after the hash they made of mine I'm not sure its worth it!!
Lots of doctors will resist as they don't want to reveal the stuff they have written about you - some of it may be less than complimentary.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Night Nurse
Hi Alistair,

The Data Protection Act applies to written records as well as those held on computer. This change came in in 2001 and caused a lot of companies to re-think what they recorded regarding their employees.
It's still harder to get a copy if it not on a computer.

Regards
Alistair
Old Dec 21st 2004, 1:29 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We got copies of all ours but the doctor here was not interested in them. So that was a waste of 30 quid. Also we have friends that go to more than one surgery here in Oz so their records do not transfer not like in the UK where you can only register with one

Jo