Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we just set the record straight!

Can we just set the record straight!

Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can we just set the record straight!

There seems to be a number of recent threads with comments along the lines of 'I always thought Australia was a fab place...but I keep reading all these bad things about it here.. having second thoughts' etc etc.

Whilst prospective migrants should be having second thoughts, third thoughts, in fact as many thoughts as possible before making such a momentous decision - I reckon that they should also be aware that views on this forum does NOT necessarily reflect the experiences of the majority.

There are a handful of vocal people on here who consistently complain, make snide anti-Australian posts and rarely lose an opportunity to take a pot-shot at the country. They obviously take pleasure in doing it - even though it's usually disguised as a 'I'm just pointing it out for your own good' post. To be honest, I've made the odd similar post about Perth myself, whilst trying to understand it's attraction to British people. But it's the same few people making all these anti- posts - not the majority by any means.

People should be aware that there are zillions of migrants who are living happy, settled lives in Australia. They've never heard of British Expats and they have no intention of moving back to the UK. I've been here for 24 years, I've met hundreds of British people living here in that time and I've only ever known one return to Britain and stay there. I've never had a moments homesickness or a moments regret in all that time - and trust me, I'm not that unusual!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:46 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Can we just set the record straight!

Originally posted by nickyc
There seems to be a number of recent threads with comments along the lines of 'I always thought Australia was a fab place...but I keep reading all these bad things about it here.. having second thoughts' etc etc.

Whilst prospective migrants should be having second thoughts, third thoughts, in fact as many thoughts as possible before making such a momentous decision - I reckon that they should also be aware that views on this forum does NOT necessarily reflect the experiences of the majority.

There are a handful of vocal people on here who consistently complain, make snide anti-Australian posts and rarely lose an opportunity to take a pot-shot at the country. They obviously take pleasure in doing it - even though it's usually disguised as a 'I'm just pointing it out for your own good' post. To be honest, I've made the odd similar post about Perth myself, whilst trying to understand it's attraction to British people. But it's the same few people making all these anti- posts - not the majority by any means.

People should be aware that there are zillions of migrants who are living happy, settled lives in Australia. They've never heard of British Expats and they have no intention of moving back to the UK. I've been here for 24 years, I've met hundreds of British people living here in that time and I've only ever known one return to Britain and stay there. I've never had a moments homesickness or a moments regret in all that time - and trust me, I'm not that unusual!
Good for you nickyc

Couldn't have put it better meself

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc

In your opinion.

There are also a 'handful' of people on here who take every opportunity to knock the UK. Presumably for their own reasons and because They enjoy doing it.
Works both ways.
You have given your opinion. Nothing more nothing less.
This type of forum is going to attract all sorts from the hopelessly optimistic to the desperately pessimistic.
Strange that because that is what people are like.
Most give rerasonably balanced opinions.There is some degree of 'point scoring' but that is the nature of the beast!

We can all make up our own minds

This is MY opinion

Best wishes

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Well said that girl !! Bound to be happy living next to a beach like this.

And how is Coogee this morning? Hoping to move there this September
Attached Thumbnails Can we just set the record straight!-coogee-small.jpg  
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had a moments homesickness or a moments regret in all that time
Lucky you.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 2:58 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Pollyana
Lucky you.
Hiya Poll

Feeling lonely matey?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Stood at the bar tonight, asked for a drink, the girl next to me heard my accent.
She said, "How long have you been here? Take this, 24 hours ago it was in London. I've just come home"

And she handed me a £1 coin,
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
This type of forum is going to attract all sorts from the hopelessly optimistic to the desperately pessimistic.
Love the comment Grayling!!! It does sum everything up rather well.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:13 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Stood at the bar tonight, asked for a drink, the girl next to me heard my accent.
She said, "How long have you been here? Take this, 24 hours ago it was in London. I've just come home"

And she handed me a £1 coin,
Aw Poll.........so has this made ya fink of home and become all homesick?

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:17 pm
Home and Happy

Nope, full of the joys of spring, oops, sorry, winter isn't it.

Lonely?

Never, just solitary.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:26 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Nope, full of the joys of spring, oops, sorry, winter isn't it.

Lonely?

Never, just solitary.

Oh.......good oh........that's alright then

Did ya keep the pound?

It's worth nowt ya know Poll

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:30 pm
Home and Happy

I don't care what its worth, its the only one I've got. Its sitting next to my mouse as I'm typing this.

Pigging stupid aren't I !!!!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care what its worth, its the only one I've got. Its sitting next to my mouse as I'm typing this.

Pigging stupid aren't I !!!!
Not at all

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks mate.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
In your opinion.

We can all make up our own minds

This is MY opinion

Best wishes

G
Very well said.

nickyc, are you aware that 35-40% of the zillions return to the UK permanently? Perhaps you should inform DIMIA of your own experiences.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.