Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can we get family benefit payments?

can we get family benefit payments?

Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

oradba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can we get family benefit payments?

Hi,

We are PR (class 136)...I am main applicant.

Currently, I am working in Singapore.

If I stay in SG, my wife and 2 kids go to OZ first (wife takes care kids there, no job)...can they get family benefit payments? ( I pay Singapore tax)

or

If I stay in SG, my wife and 2 kids go to OZ first (wife takes care kids, no job) and I claim overseas income to OZ government...can they get family benefit payments? ( I pay Singapore tax and maybe to OZ government...dual tax?)

Thanks

oradba
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can we get family benefit payments?

I'm totally clueless but I'm sure that when we were planning costs etc there was a "calculator" on the Australian Family Tax Credit website - there's part 1 and part 2 - your income and wifes .... however seem to remember needs to be an Aussie income, but could be wrong.

Hope you find some answers?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oradba
Hi,

We are PR (class 136)...I am main applicant.

Currently, I am working in Singapore.

If I stay in SG, my wife and 2 kids go to OZ first (wife takes care kids there, no job)...can they get family benefit payments? ( I pay Singapore tax)

or

If I stay in SG, my wife and 2 kids go to OZ first (wife takes care kids, no job) and I claim overseas income to OZ government...can they get family benefit payments? ( I pay Singapore tax and maybe to OZ government...dual tax?)

Thanks

oradba
Have you validated your visas yet? If not, then you have to either go with them or first to do that. Then, once your wife and children get here she can get the family payments (what we call child tax credit in Canada). It's nowhere near enough to live on, so you would have to send her enough $$ from SG to pay her way here. As a PR you are not entitled to Centrelink benefits for the first 2 years.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As a PR you are not entitled to Centrelink benefits for the first 2 years.
That's not quite true. Some benefits, such as Family Tax Benefit, are not subject to the 2 year waiting period.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 6:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's not quite true. Some benefits, such as Family Tax Benefit, are not subject to the 2 year waiting period.
That's what I said in the post above. See "Then, once your wife and children get here she can get the family payments (what we call child tax credit in Canada)."
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

oradba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
That's what I said in the post above. See "Then, once your wife and children get here she can get the family payments (what we call child tax credit in Canada)."
once my wife and children get here, what she can get in terms of family payments?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:45 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by oradba
once my wife and children get here, what she can get in terms of family payments?
Look at www.centrelink.gov.au for family benefit payments. I think, though, that you will probably have to be paying taxes in Australia in order to qualify for the family payments. And, like I said, it's not a lot. We get about $80 per fortnight, which sure isn't enough to live off.