Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we emmigrate if one of us is bankrupt?

Can we emmigrate if one of us is bankrupt?

Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

mollanclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can we emmigrate if one of us is bankrupt?

Basically I am bankrupt, long story, but will be out of my bankruptcy in a few months time. Currently I am about to go into my second year of nursing and will be qualified in 2012 and are looking to move after I qualifiy. Does anyone know if this will stop us?

Thanks,
Lynn.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we emmigrate if one of us is bankrupt?

You will be fine bankruptcy will have no bearing on your visa applicatiion.

All the best with your application.

Maggy
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by maggy
You will be fine bankruptcy will have no bearing on your visa applicatiion.

All the best with your application.

Maggy
Thanks Maggy, it's good to know, phew!! I see you're just up the road in Kirkcaldy, or were just up the road if you're now in Oz!!

Thanks again,
Lynn.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollanclan
Thanks Maggy, it's good to know, phew!! I see you're just up the road in Kirkcaldy, or were just up the road if you're now in Oz!!

Thanks again,
Lynn.
You will have to state that you have been bankrupt and the period it happened over on the application form though as financial checks are made, this is one of the questions asked on many of the various visa application forms, but not all.

As for if it will have an impact on your application, it would depend very much on the circumstances you were declared bankrupt under and your financial position at the time of application, I doubt very much it would be just passed over so best to think about how you present this information.

Always best to be open and honest on the forms.

Good luck

Last edited by Jon77; Jul 19th 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If its a straightforward skills visa - as it probably would be for a nurse - there are no financial checks and you don't have to answer questions about your finances except to say whether you are bringing enough to support yourself. Business visas are different, but for a run-of-the-mill skills visa bankruptcy won't matter.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

maggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond reputemaggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mollanclan

Thanks again,
Lynn.

Hi I left Kirkcaldy 6 years ago and headed to Perth.

Where about in Australia are you heading?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

We've got lots of friends and family on the east coast so we're looking at a town near a big hospital on the east coast but it can be inland as well.

I'll go wherever I have a job really, we've been out a few times and love the Oz way of life, sure beats the rainy day we've had today lol!! You're not missing much!!!

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
You will have to state that you have been bankrupt and the period it happened over on the application form though as financial checks are made, this is one of the questions asked on many of the various visa application forms, but not all.

As for if it will have an impact on your application, it would depend very much on the circumstances you were declared bankrupt under and your financial position at the time of application, I doubt very much it would be just passed over so best to think about how you present this information.

Good luck
Completely untrue. There are no financial questions and absolutely NO financial checks for a skilled migrant visa. The only time an applicant would be obligated to provide financial information is for either state sponsorship (some states require proof of funds before granting sponsorship, but do not ask about bankrupt) or for a business visa.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure on this. I applied for a 175 skilled visa and I am sure it asked me if I had been bankrupt. Loads of forms ask this - have you ever been declared bankrupt blah blah

Not sure what I would have put on there - hope other people can answer whether its worth telling the truth or not....

Like the guys have said here it shouldn't make any difference on a skilled application but you never know
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

Good luck
Where do you get that from?? I came over on a 457 Business Class Visa (2008) and had financial questions of any sort.....thankfully!!!!
You start completely fresh in Oz, yes it may seem suprising and also may make things a little awkward for trying to get loans/mortgages/credit etc but one quick flash of your Visa duration and job salary and Betty's your aunty!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Not sure on this. I applied for a 175 skilled visa and I am sure it asked me if I had been bankrupt. Loads of forms ask this - have you ever been declared bankrupt blah blah

Not sure what I would have put on there - hope other people can answer whether its worth telling the truth or not....

Like the guys have said here it shouldn't make any difference on a skilled application but you never know
Agents have advised in the past on this forum that it will not make a difference, certainly for the kind of visa the OP would be looking for. Yes, if asked it should be declared, but DIAC do not check your financial background for a visa like this.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I know most of you guys have answered everything but I thought I would give you the perspective of a very recent 175 Visa Nurse.
No Questions about Bankruptcy.
No Questions about how much money you will have to support you.
No questions about financial stuff at all.
Oh, by the way the standard of living for a nurse is much better here!
HKA
X
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

perthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really niceperthhopeful is just really nice

Hi,

I am a nurse and have a recently granted 175 visa - I wasn't asked any financial questions what so ever, good luck
xx
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:55 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I am surprised they would allow bankrupt people in, as this usually shows an irresponsibly attitude to money and credit.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:41 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
I am surprised they would allow bankrupt people in, as this usually shows an irresponsibly attitude to money and credit.
A little thought for you. Whom do you think are bulk of natural born Australians descend from ?

Australia is about a fair go. It matters not how much money you do have or don't when it comes to immigration. I find that rather a culturally and historically endearing quality.