Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to make the move?

Can we afford to make the move?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:55 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to make the move?

Originally Posted by MartinH
Can I just ask, for those going over in their 40's with little or no money - what do you plan to retire on?
Personally, I have an NHS pension and a house here in the U.K.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinH
Can I just ask, for those going over in their 40's with little or no money - what do you plan to retire on?
I have a son that is going to play for Manchester United and a daughter that will win Australia has got talent, both being phased in around 2021!

Then there is always the Lotto if all else fails!!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve G
I have a son that is going to play for Manchester United and a daughter that will win Australia has got talent, both being phased in around 2021!

Then there is always the Lotto if all else fails!!

I had that plan as well .......but my son has two left feet and my daughter is tone deaf!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I know you have to think of the future but come on, who knows what they will be doing or where they will be living in 20 years time? I cant think what I`m having for my tea let alone what I will do in 20 years time, hopefully il have some UK pension to draw,maybe some OZ pension and maybe work part time for as long as poss, if I am still over ther & alive that is.

Bluekipper
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:28 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Has the OP contacted some agencies to arrange work before arrival, that would help. Also, don't be too insistant on 'she'll work around kids' - when we got to Oz my OH who's a plumber (an occupation 'in demand') couldn't get work so i ended up working and he was left with our 2yr old.....not ideal but you do what you have to. If you don't have work to arrive to do you have enough money to support yourselves and family for 3-6months if you need to?
also, i actually think that it is very sensible weighing up the financial element of emigration. Good on 'ya
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I know you have to think of the future but come on, who knows what they will be doing or where they will be living in 20 years time? I cant think what I`m having for my tea let alone what I will do in 20 years time, hopefully il have some UK pension to draw,maybe some OZ pension and maybe work part time for as long as poss, if I am still over ther & alive that is.

Bluekipper
Well that's one way to look at it - on the other hand I will be 46 this year which give me 9 years to retirement - no way do I still want to be working when I am 65. Sorry, I know off topic.