Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can Traffic offences prevent you from getting PR

Can Traffic offences prevent you from getting PR

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Can Traffic offences prevent you from getting PR

I was in a minor accident yesterday. I stopped at a stop sign, and looked left to see if it was clear to drive across the intersection.

The intersecting road was very narrow and there were a number of cars parked to my left which I couldn't see past so I proceeded slowly across the intersection.

I was almost across the intersection when I caught sight of a grey car (it was a wet, grey day) approaching the left side of my car. I thought I would make it across the road but unfortunately the other car hit the back left corner of my car.

There were witnesses who saw and testified to the fact that I had stopped at the stop sign and not just gone through it.

The police officer said that he didn't think that either one of us was at fault but technically he had to "caution" me for not giving right of way. He said it was a very minor thing and that it was the last I would hear of it.

However since we are living in Oz on 457 Visas and awaiting our PR's I am concerned that it will affect either 457 visas or the issuance of the PR visas.

Anybody know whether it will ? (Serious answers only please. Please don't just try to wind me up).
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 10:11 am
jsg
Forum Regular

jsg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can Traffic offences prevent you from getting PR

Originally posted by Sunlover
However since we are living in Oz on 457 Visas and awaiting our PR's I am concerned that it will affect either 457 visas or the issuance of the PR visas.

Anybody know whether it will ? (Serious answers only please. Please don't just try to wind me up).
I think if you were convicted even of a minor offence, you would have to tell DIMIA.

However, from what other people have said here, the two real problems are repeated drink-driving and anything that gets you locked up for a year or more. So keep DIMIA informed, if necessary, and you should be OK.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunlover,

I'm no expert, but I can't believe this would stop you getting your PR. I would imagine this would be treated as an accident (even though you were cautioned) rather than a criminal offence.

Do a search on this forum and you will see that people have got there PR's with a lot more serious offences.

Good luck
Karl.