Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Wikiposts

Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Old Mar 25th 2004, 11:40 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Originally posted by Ceri
(P.s I don't let my cats out)
Nice to know you are one of the few responsible cat owners..

Do you get white-tail spiders up there in SE QLD? We get heaps down here in Mt G, up until about the end of feb there was one inside the shack at least once every fortnight. Nasty buggers.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:29 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by PeteY
Nice to know you are one of the few responsible cat owners..

Do you get white-tail spiders up there in SE QLD? We get heaps down here in Mt G, up until about the end of feb there was one inside the shack at least once every fortnight. Nasty buggers.
I've never seen one, and have never heard of anyone I personally know having them - I don't think they are very prolific/common like the other spiders around here, they are supposed to be around.. but personally speaking I've never encountered one, maybe others may have.. but not me
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:07 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I nearly crashed the car the other day when one of those flying daddy long leg things flew into my face .. my first impulse was to open the car door and jump out :scared: I didnt of course but quickly pulled in and stopped the car and then jumped out shrieking! I hate those things. The big spiders dont bother me as they dont lose legs all over your face etc but I am in NZ and havent seen any that big yet anyway
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:16 pm
ABCDiamond

All this talk about spiders is beginning to scare me :scared:

But it shouldn't ! I've now spent 14 years in Australia, and not had problems with one yet !!

I've never seen a big one. And with the occasional little one's that I have seen, I just stand on them, or spray them. I saw more spiders in the UK, than I have here

But now you have all got me looking around me in case I see my first big spider !!

The power of the written word, and imagination

Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:29 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
All this talk about spiders is beginning to scare me :scared:

But it shouldn't ! I've now spent 14 years in Australia, and not had problems with one yet !!

I've never seen a big one. And with the occasional little one's that I have seen, I just stand on them, or spray them. I saw more spiders in the UK, than I have here

But now you have all got me looking around me in case I see my first big spider !!

The power of the written word, and imagination
I can't believe you've never seen a big one (and it's not what you are thinking! ) .

Every house I've been in here in Brisbane, we've had Huntsmen spiders, and this house we are in now.. Lots of wolves and Huntsmen - and I mean lots, every night in the summer we've always got a huntsman crawling around up the walls and the ceiling corners. Had wolves running across the floor - I keep chucking out the wolf spiders, while hubby stays on the settee shouting" there it is ", while I'm running around with a glass trying to capture it,, not as easy as it sounds, these wolf spiders are fast little s*ds (I'm sure he's scared of them.. but dosen't admit it.. it's me who has to capture them, while he sits there laughing)

Boo Behind you!
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ceri
I can't believe you've never seen a big one (and it's not what you are thinking! ) .

Every house I've been in here in Brisbane, we've had Huntsmen spiders, and this house we are in now.. Lots of wolves and Huntsmen - and I mean lots, every night in the summer we've always got a huntsman crawling around up the walls and the ceiling corners. Had wolves running across the floor - I keep chucking out the wolf spiders, while hubby stays on the settee shouting" there it is ", while I'm running around with a glass trying to capture it,, not as easy as it sounds, these wolf spiders are fast little s*ds (I'm sure he's scared of them.. but dosen't admit it.. it's me who has to capture them, while he sits there laughing)

Boo Behind you!
It's true, i've never seen a big spider
(just a quick glance around me again)

Now you're talking after flaming "Wolves", what are they ?

Also, we've only had about 4 or 5 cockroaches in the last 15 months.

I will admit that I do spray the door ways with Surface spray, every couple of months, just in case And we get a professional pest spray every 12 months. Maybe i'm just lucky ? or is it time to get my eyesight checked again

Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:49 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

In one year we've had

1) Numerous huntsmen in the house, one even woke me up running over my hand
2) Numerous redbacks, mainly outside, under the outdoor furniture but one biggie indoors.
3) Plenty of white tailed spiders, one bit my daughter and another ended up in my boxers!
4) Giant centipede, indoors
5) Lots of stick insects and paraying manti, indoors and out.
6) Tiger snake in the front garden
7) Dugite in the back garden.

Last edited by renth; Mar 25th 2004 at 2:53 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Ambrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by katherineiv
Hi,
I know this is silly but for all you lucky people out the in oz if you see SPIDERS :scared: all the time ?

I dreding wakeing in the morning and theres one on my pillow laughing at me !!!!! .

Is it really bad all these bugs or what and how you getting on with them?

thanks katherine

Forget about huntsman spiders. How about one of these on your bed!:scared:
Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me (re spiders)-weta2.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:18 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Ambrose
Forget about huntsman spiders. How about one of these on your bed!:scared:
Is that a wetter (sp?)? Saw a tv prog on these the other day, was pretty interesting.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:23 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a little spider this morning and was going to leave it as i'm getting fairly good with ones smaller than my thumb nail now!
Anyway, i looked closely and saw the white tip on its tail and i smashed the bread board down in it, with no hesitation

We also had a MASSIVE huntsman above my sons bedroom door the other night, unfortunately it was on the coving and we couldn'd fit it into a pot, so he had to be mortiened, it was horrible We then sqeezed him, legs and all, into a plastic container where, to put him out of his mysery, Matt shook him to death. this took about 5 mins and sounded like a marble or something, it was grim....

We live in a semi rural part of s/e Melbourne.

We have seen sizable whitetails on the beach aswell
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:41 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
I saw a little spider this morning and was going to leave it as i'm getting fairly good with ones smaller than my thumb nail now!
Anyway, i looked closely and saw the white tip on its tail and i smashed the bread board down in it, with no hesitation

We also had a MASSIVE huntsman above my sons bedroom door the other night, unfortunately it was on the coving and we couldn'd fit it into a pot, so he had to be mortiened, it was horrible We then sqeezed him, legs and all, into a plastic container where, to put him out of his mysery, Matt shook him to death. this took about 5 mins and sounded like a marble or something, it was grim....

We live in a semi rural part of s/e Melbourne.

We have seen sizable whitetails on the beach aswell
Lol poor huntsman sounds horrible lol
Old Mar 25th 2004, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

"Huntsmen - in fact will run away from you if you put your hand next to one on the wall. "

Yeah, right, like I'm gonna try that! Looks like I'll be packing my trusty machete...
Old Mar 26th 2004, 6:13 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Mairi still keeps freaking me out by telling me (again and again and again ) the story about how she woke up one night to find a spider walking across her face :scared:

having said that any time we seriously discuss "creepy crawlies" she starts to rant when it come to cockcroaches so maybe the spiders arent too bad after all !!!

I know she had redbacks, st andrews and funnelwebs where she used to live so the fact that she "rants" aout cockcraoches is maybe a good thing

Chris
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Rosalind is an unknown quantity at this point

I just can't get past this spider thing, I had nightmares last night that Hunstmen kept jumping on me! I accept that there seem to be an abundance of creepies in Oz, however how many spiders can I expect to see indoors if we move to the suburbs? Seriously, is there an organisation like Rentokil that you can pay to get rid of spiders etc???:scared: :scared: v.v.:scared:
Old Mar 26th 2004, 8:11 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

You get to see quite a few at this time of year, something to do with the nights beinh cooler:scared:
You can get people in to fumigate your house, alternativley you can get down to bunnings and buy bombs, suface spray, garden spray, etc etc, but at the end of the day there all pretty toxic....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.