Reload this Page >

Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Wikiposts

Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcmercer
Thats what I need (plug in thingies) but dont know where to find them and cant bear to watch the tele here long enough to wait for an advert dont know what they're called to do a search either, HELP!!!
Try this website

www.e-factor.com.au

or

www.purennatural.com

Hope this helps, if not search the web for Ultra Sonic Pest Control or plug in pest control

Bye for now

Nat
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:26 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mcmercer
Thats what I need (plug in thingies) but dont know where to find them and cant bear to watch the tele here long enough to wait for an advert dont know what they're called to do a search either, HELP!!!
ARLEC model SC1202

I've got one in the kitchen.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:30 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
ARLEC model SC1202

I've got one in the kitchen.
I've got them too, but I still get spiders in the room.

Jane
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I've got them too, but I still get spiders in the room.

Jane
Mine has a low and high setting.
High is for spiders, I've forgotten what the low setting is for.

Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:33 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Mine has a low and high setting.
High is for spiders, I've forgotten what the low setting is for.
Mice.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 11:57 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Mitre 10 has them, Michaela. They don't seem to bother the ants though!

This chappie was in our garden tonight. Can anybody identify?
Looks like a hunstman to me.

You see them - but not all the time. And usually just the "little" ones.

Sorry it's blurry, but this is one of the biggest I have seen - out in the shed. That is a normal pencil in there for scale.
Attached Thumbnails Can someone tell me (re spiders)-dsc00002.jpg  
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:09 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by DagBoy
Looks like a hunstman to me.

You see them - but not all the time. And usually just the "little" ones.

Sorry it's blurry, but this is one of the biggest I have seen - out in the shed. That is a normal pencil in there for scale.
Thanks Dagboy, thats what I thought it was, but a small one. There's a 5 cent piece at the top of the picture to show the scale.
Amazingly, it didn't freak me out. It would have done if it had been inside, though.

Jane
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point

We were travelling through Oz a few years ago and were staying in a hostel in Cairns. We had just settled into bed with the light out when I felt something land on me. I screamed at my husband to turn on the light only to see his look of horror at the spider on my face. I have to say though that wasn't my worst bug experience. In Thailand I went into a very small toilet cubicle and when I shut the door I was face to face with a cockroach the size of my hand. At least Australian cockroaches are not that big although they are plentiful.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I was working on a minesite in the Northern Territory last month. We were sitting in the wet bar ralaxing after work when some movement caught my eye in the corner.
I thought it was a large mouse or rat but when I looked closer it was a cockroach about the size of the mouse attached to this computer (but with less buttons and loads of legs).

On the same site the moths were the size of sparrows. In Perth I've seen just the run of the mill daddylonglegs etc.

Keel
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Hey some really good sites - poor man been bitten in the bum all those times - must have been a real pain in the arse!!!! At least he got to the bottom of what bit him!!!

cheers

pockygoes
Old Mar 25th 2004, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Just how do the big spiders get in. You have screens on all doors and window, you can keep the plugs in the sinks at night, BUT they still get in, how?

Mandy
Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:02 am
Just Joined

Rosalind is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just read the posts and looked at the websites I am having BIG second thoughts. Do you ever get big huntsmen in the house? Do you just whack them? Can you pay people to come round and whack them for you? (a sort of spider mafia maybe) How common are spiders in suburban areas? What preventative measures can you take to try to prevent Huntsman entering the car? I know I'd freak out so in my case the Huntsman would cause a fatal injury! Seriously am I really like to encounter Huntsman, red backs, wolf spiders etc etc in Melbourne? ::scared: :scared:
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:42 am
Born to be ignored

White tails are more common in Melbourne!

Seriously, though, you kind of want hunstmen in the house as they kill all the nasty spiders.

You can buy bombs that you set off and they'll kill all the nastys in the room. You'll have to hoover up the dead, though!

I think its the luck of the draw whether you ever see the spiders or not. They're always there. I haven't seen a redback yet, but my friend who's only been here a month has seen 2 already. Its ants that are more of a problem, they get everywhere!

Jane
Old Mar 25th 2004, 11:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Originally posted by katherineiv
Hi,
I know this is silly but for all you lucky people out the in oz if you see SPIDERS :scared: all the time ?

I dreding wakeing in the morning and theres one on my pillow laughing at me !!!!! .

Is it really bad all these bugs or what and how you getting on with them?

thanks katherine
Yip, all the time
Actually winter isn't so bad, they are more prolific in the house in spring/summer with us.
Huntsmen - we get lots of them in the house, I like them, and as been mentioned they keep down the pests. They don't bother you.. and in fact will run away from you if you put your hand next to one on the wall. (they mostly stick to the wall and not the floor)

Redbacks - used to have loads of them in previous homes , I was always spraying them with bug killer( garage and outside in-between my window frames) , my current house - I haven't seen one. (Redbacks usually just sit in their messy webs.. they don't run after you ,. Most people who get bitten by them do so by putting their hand on one in a garage etc). These are the only spiders I kill, just for the reason their webs are always in places - ie where you are likely to put your hands down and can't see ( garage, old boxes etc)..

Wolf spiders - these we have loads coming into our home, I've never encountered them before in previous homes... so I assume we are now living in Prime wolf spider habitat (ie bush).. these are always coming in and running across the floor (quite big spiders) , but again they don't bother me ..But I do capture these ones and chuck them outside, that's if my cats haven't killed them.. cat's seem to keep the spiders down in our house - if it moves they kill it (P.s I don't let my cats out)

It depends where you'll be living - ie in a built up city, with not much bush around you or a house with trees/bush in regards to how many spiders and other creatures you will encounter.

Nobody has died of a spider bite in how many years (?) .. since antivenom was invented I believe. Never been bitten by a spider myself, and I have plenty of the cute b*ggers coming in our home, especially in the summer months. I prefer spiders to people myself
cheers
Old Mar 25th 2004, 11:29 am
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Re: Can someone tell me (re spiders)

Originally posted by katherineiv
Hi,
I know this is silly but for all you lucky people out the in oz if you see SPIDERS :scared: all the time ?

I dreding wakeing in the morning and theres one on my pillow laughing at me !!!!! .

Is it really bad all these bugs or what and how you getting on with them?

thanks katherine
picture this, just got of the plane in sydney with a beautiful sunny day with friends picking me up who i hadn,t seen for a year.
put my bag into his car and sat in the back seat, all of a sudden i felt a hair on my face to which i went to remove. it was at this precise moment i realised it wasn,t a hair but a hairy spider on my face. took it like a man and shit my self.
how,s that for a welcome to aus:scared: :scared:

can smile about it now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.