Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain GST and demurrage please

Can someone explain GST and demurrage please

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Can someone explain GST and demurrage please

Just had the shippers in for quotes. Can someone explain the above and how much it costs please.
Thanks Paul.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:08 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can someone explain GST and demurrage please

Originally Posted by Paul & June
Just had the shippers in for quotes. Can someone explain the above and how much it costs please.
Thanks Paul.
Paul GST is the tax you will pay on the goods and or services you have received from the shipper.

Demmurage is not applicable IF your goods get removed from the wharf/dockside within the timescales allowed.

Normally as long as you have lodged your application to release the cargo and you have paid all duties and taxes etc you container should be removed from the wharf in a timely manner.

I am unsure why you are concerning yourself with demurrage, if your shipping company is good, demurrage shouldn't even be an issue.

There are some threads on good quality shipping agents on here, do a search.

I used Anglo Pacific, I found them excellent, however others have had different experiences, however there are some good ones out there.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

Thanks for that. F&N worldwide have these extras to pay. The demurrage and the GST (duty/taxes). So if I buy a new hoover within 12 months I have to pay 10% vat on top of the price and if the shipper F&N have quoted me £3500 for shipping I have to pay further £350 towards the VAT ?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

demurrage is waiting time for vessels and trucks.
With a ship the contract should be between ship owner and person contracting ship, which would not be individuals.....can't even see why they would mention this to you unless you are chartering your own ship!