Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone advise us on our options?

Can someone advise us on our options?

Old Aug 7th 2002, 7:46 am
rhicel

Default Can someone advise us on our options?

Hello again everyone,
We were all ready for my partner to send off for his skills assessment from ACS, but reading various posts on here has caused us to panic somewhat. Here is our situation, I would appreciate it if someone with concrete experience and knowledge could advise us as to our best course of action.
My partner has a UK HND with commendation in software engineering, and just over 2 years work experience after that.

First question- will this 2 years exp. be enough to satisfy ACS? (We are worried that it won't be)

Secondly- if it's not enough, what are our options? As far as I can tell, we can either go for a working holiday visa or an STNI. If we go for a WHV we won't get health cover,and as I'm an insulin dependent diabetic this could prove far too expensive for us over however long it took us to gain PR status. Could we get private health insurance and would this cover my medical supplies?
How exactly do we apply for STNI, and what kind of odds do we have of getting a nomination? If we apply for an STNI would my partner still have to apply to ACS? We can't figure out his points mark because we don't know if he needs 12 out of 18 months or 3 out of 4 years work experience to pass the points test.
Please can someone advise me on all this, our only other option is to wait here until he has 2 more years experience in his job (if our understanding is correct that ACS look for 4 years exp.) and then a year or more waiting time. I think I'll top myself if we have to wait that long........
So what we need is practical knowledgeable advice on how to best go about getting out to Australia, if possible by next year, and then applying for PR status from within Aust.
Many thanks for reading all this, apologies if these points have already been covered, and please anyone who does reply, can you explain things as clearly and simply as possible since I get very confused by all of this, yes I'm a bit dim some times, so I need it spelled out as clearly as possible.
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Maria

Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:12 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Maria.

I run the risk of being accused of having a vested interest in saying this, but as you have so many questions I would say that you are running the risk of wasting time and money (and maybe being unsuccessful as well) if you don't seek professional advice from the outset ...

Best regards.

Alan Collett
alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com
Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534
and a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
http://www.gomatilda.com and
http://www.collettandco.co.uk
Offices in Southampton, England and Melbourne, Australia
Old Aug 7th 2002, 10:56 am
rhicel

OK then Alan, you're a professional, I'm seeking your advice! Will my partner be accepted by ACS or not?
Maria

Old Aug 7th 2002, 11:00 am
Jaj

Default Re: Can someone advise us on our options?

Alan In this case I would agree with you - where there is a lot of questions and
clearly some confusion, you really need some professional advice to build a
migration strategy.

Jeremy

>On 7 Aug 2002 09:19:22 GMT, Alan Collett <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello Maria.
    >I run the risk of being accused of having a vested interest in saying this, but as
    >you have so many questions I would say that you are running the risk of wasting time
    >and money (and maybe being unsuccessful as well) if you don't seek professional
    >advice from the outset ...
    >Best regards.
    >Alan Collett alan-at-gomatilda-dot-com Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534 and
    >a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
    >http://www.gomatilda.com and
    >http://www.collettandco.co.uk Offices in
    >Southampton, England and Melbourne, Australia
    >--
    >Alan Collett of Go Matilda,
    >http://www.gomatilda.com
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 7th 2002, 11:15 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Can someone advise us on our options?

Hi Maria,

Your best option will be for partner to turn his HND into a degree by studying here,
as you just won't qualify as far as ACS is concerned until he either has a degree or
four years experience. So STNI won't even arise :-(

Come on over for a working holiday visa and then convert to a student visa if you
like. Bear in mind that being insulin dependent is potentially a major hassle for
your permanent visa application as the medicals are more stringent for pr.

cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au rhicel
wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Hello again everyone, We were all ready for my partner to send off for his skills
    >assessment from ACS, but reading various posts on here has caused us to panic
    >somewhat. Here is our situation, I would appreciate it if someone with concrete
    >experience and knowledge could advise us as to our best course of action. My partner
    >has a UK HND with commendation in software engineering, and just over 2 years work
    >experience after that.
    >First question- will this 2 years exp. be enough to satisfy ACS? (We are worried
    >that it won't be)
    >Secondly- if it's not enough, what are our options? As far as I can tell, we can
    >either go for a working holiday visa or an STNI. If we go for a WHV we won't get
    >health cover,and as I'm an insulin dependent diabetic this could prove far too
    >expensive for us over however long it took us to gain PR status. Could we get
    >private health insurance and would this cover my medical supplies? How exactly do we
    >apply for STNI, and what kind of odds do we have of getting a nomination? If we
    >apply for an STNI would my partner still have to apply to ACS? We can't figure out
    >his points mark because we don't know if he needs 12 out of 18 months or 3 out of 4
    >years work experience to pass the points test. Please can someone advise me on all
    >this, our only other option is to wait here until he has 2 more years experience in
    >his job (if our understanding is correct that ACS look for 4 years exp.) and then a
    >year or more waiting time. I think I'll top myself if we have to wait that
    >long........ So what we need is practical knowledgeable advice on how to best go
    >about getting out to Australia, if possible by next year, and then applying for PR
    >status from within Aust. Many thanks for reading all this, apologies if these points
    >have already been covered, and please anyone who does reply, can you explain things
    >as clearly and simply as possible since I get very confused by all of this, yes I'm
    >a bit dim some times, so I need it spelled out as clearly as possible. Thanks for
    >any help you can offer, Maria Posted via
    >http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 7th 2002, 11:16 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Maria,

As a rule I'm happy to comment on general visa-related issues, but don't advise on specific and technical issues such as those you have raised on a newsgroup - I'll leave that to other newsgroup participants if they want to express a view. I have to earn a living somehow!

If you want to mail me directly though I'll be delighted to advise our fees for helping with your application.

Best regards.

Originally posted by rhicel
OK then Alan, you're a professional, I'm seeking your advice! Will my partner be accepted by ACS or not?
Maria
Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:31 pm
rhicel

Hello George,
Thank you for at last clarifiyng the situation for us. We will review our options now.
As for my diabetes, well that was one of my first concerns, and we posted a question about it some months back, and received answers from other ID diabetics who said that I will have to undergo further tests to ascertain my control is good, but as long as all that turns out OK then I'll still be admitted. So that's enough for me, I'm in good control and this has given me inspiration to be even better!
thanks for the advice,
Maria