Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 21st 2002, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

waynev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very lost and dont know the best way to go about this, the australia house in London is no good for me I am from Devon in the UK and I met a girl on the internet from perth.She is here in the uk with me at the moment until february she is here visiting for 6 months. i am due to go back with her in February and i want to know the best way to go about it. Ideally I would like to go back with her and start my own business over there but the problem is i need to go over and work at this business to know whether its going to work or not and I cant go over on a visitor visa as im not allowed to work but also cant go over on a working visa either because its a self employed thing so i am completely lost at what to do. I am very in love with my G/f but we are not ready to get married or anything like that but is there a way i can go over there for 12 months or more sort myself out over there and then come back on enough grounds to be able to apply for a citizenship over there. I have no skilled job that meets the criterior in Australia, but my profession is a Dance event organiser and from what my g/f has told me there is a big calling for this in perth as Australians apparently love Uk DJS which i am as well. Please if anybody can help me can they E mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] Thankyou very much.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

marry her ?
Old Nov 21st 2002, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

With respect, Wayne, onlyme's suggestion might be your best chance. It's not going to be particularly easy otherwise, based on what you've said. I would certainly recommend talking with an agent if you're serious about going for it. Yours would be a far from straightforward case.
Old Nov 21st 2002, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember, you do not have to be physically married. Australia recognises de facto relationships, but you have to prove that you have lived together for two years (bills in shared names, envelopes addressed to the same address etc). It sounds as though your case could be difficult on your own merits.

Incidentally, I thought if you were under thirty years old, you could get a one year working visa, that didn't stipulate the type or work? I could be wrong, but this was the case 10 years ago.

Good luck with whatever happens.
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you looked into a 'Young Commonwealth Citizens Holiday Visa. I think it allows you two years in Oz. The work has to be incidental to your holiday i.e. less than 12 months of work in the 2 year period , not of a professional nature, not longer than 3 months in one position etc etc - contact one of the agents on this forum e.g. Alan Collett 'cos what I have stated is merely anecdotal and could be all wrong

DPR
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 5:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by dpr21
Have you looked into a 'Young Commonwealth Citizens Holiday Visa. I think it allows you two years in Oz. The work has to be incidental to your holiday i.e. less than 12 months of work in the 2 year period , not of a professional nature, not longer than 3 months in one position etc etc - contact one of the agents on this forum e.g. Alan Collett 'cos what I have stated is merely anecdotal and could be all wrong

DPR

Go for the working holiday visa, shack up with her in Perth, make sure both your names are on the bills, make sure you are photographed together etc.... Make sure you don't work for more than 3 months for any one employer. They are very strict about this. You ought to be able to get a permanent visa for your defacto relationship.

I think you have to stay together for a while afterwards too, if your relationship ends soon after the visa is granted then your visa ends too, so if she starts giving you "heaps" you'll just have to tough it out for a while before chucking her.......
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 5:48 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anzen12
Australia recognises de facto relationships, but you have to prove that you have lived together for two years (bills in shared names, envelopes addressed to the same address etc).
Australia's requirements for de-facto spouse recognition includes co-habitation for a period of no less than 12 months, actually.

Peter
Old Nov 22nd 2002, 5:49 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can somebody help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by renth
<snip> You ought to be able to get a permanent visa for your defacto relationship.

I think you have to stay together for a while afterwards too, if your relationship ends soon after the visa is granted then your visa ends too, so if she starts giving you "heaps" you'll just have to tough it out for a while before chucking her.......
Each case is considered on its own merits when a marriage between an Australian citizen/permanent resident and his/her spouse who is on a temporary spouse visa. It's not a blanket rule that a divorce will terminate the temporary spouse visa immediately.

Peter