Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can somebody bring good news?

Can somebody bring good news?

Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:03 am
sydneyrose

Default Re: Can somebody bring good news?

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
That's a good post Herman, and well expressed.

Like many who have emigrated, my and my wife's families are in the UK as are our UK friends (I'm pleased to say that we now have Aussie friends as well). We often think about the issues you mention, particularly in the context of our children - not seeing their grandparents, cousins - and also how the grandparents feel about not seeing our children. It's an issue that doesn't (and shouldn't) go away.

That said, we are fortunate (my wife might beg to differ!) in that my parents visited for a couple of months last summer, and are doing so again this summer. And we were back in the UK in June/July. In fact the children probably see more of the grandparents since we've moved to Oz than they did when we were living a busy life in the UK.

One of the drivers for me in wanting to move to Australia was (and still is) a concern about what kind of country the UK is becoming from the social perspective. This was a particular issue given that we have young children - in making a choice between the UK and Australia as to the environment in which I would prefer them to grow up I choose the latter. I would also like my children (and grandchildren) to have those same choices later in their lives - they can return to the UK/Europe at some point or live in Australia. To me, having the freedom of choice as to where we live is important.

I guess to a significant degree I believe in where Oz is going as a country, and have some major doubts about the UK's direction - if there is one. And of course only time will tell if I'm right on that score.

Best regards.

Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:14 am
anthony

Originally posted by Chris:
My electricity costs me $0.74 per day or around $60 per 3 months.

Chris

So cheap! Where do you live? With heater/aircon?

And for all who post positive info, a big thank you. When I see negative info, I can only tell myself that it's also happening all over the world!

Just imagine you could be shot by snipper while doing nothing wrong. Do you read latest news in US?

Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:20 am
sydneyrose

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
That's a good post Herman, and well expressed.

Like many who have emigrated, my and my wife's families are in the UK as are our UK friends (I'm pleased to say that we now have Aussie friends as well). We often think about the issues you mention, particularly in the context of our children - not seeing their grandparents, cousins - and also how the grandparents feel about not seeing our children. It's an issue that doesn't (and shouldn't) go away.

That said, we are fortunate (my wife might beg to differ!) in that my parents visited for a couple of months last summer, and are doing so again this summer. And we were back in the UK in June/July. In fact the children probably see more of the grandparents since we've moved to Oz than they did when we were living a busy life in the UK.

One of the drivers for me in wanting to move to Australia was (and still is) a concern about what kind of country the UK is becoming from the social perspective. This was a particular issue given that we have young children - in making a choice between the UK and Australia as to the environment in which I would prefer them to grow up I choose the latter. I would also like my children (and grandchildren) to have those same choices later in their lives - they can return to the UK/Europe at some point or live in Australia. To me, having the freedom of choice as to where we live is important.

I guess to a significant degree I believe in where Oz is going as a country, and have some major doubts about the UK's direction - if there is one. And of course only time will tell if I'm right on that score.

Best regards.

I think that is really fundamental to successful migration - believing in the society and its values and how much it is taking a direction you can support. Some people on these threads have been seduced by the sun and surf aspects of oz. Maybe a knowledge of civics should be a prerequisite and not just from 'lonely planet.' I also think living for a time in a foreign country (for me, the uk) skills you to deal with the things you don't like about your own country on return.

Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:30 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Thats an interesting thought Sydneyrose - maybe living overseas for a while does help you get out of a rut in your home country, so that if you do, one day, decide to return you have a better perspective on how to organise your life.
It certainly has done this for us. We were settling into life in London and would probably still be there, and most likely unhappy, if we had'nt come to Sydney. Being here has made us realise how much effort and energy we had to put in to enjoy life in London and has made us determined to set our lives up differently when we get back. I guess maybe we would have got to this point anyway, but being in Sydney was possibly the nicest way to to break free from those heavy London chains once and for all!
Old Oct 10th 2002, 5:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure that many people are seduced by the sunshine and surf alone ... it's more complex than that, although for us the thought of some guaranteed sunshine in the summer and sandy beaches with great surf close by certainly didn't do any harm.

For those who are moving to Oz on a more permanent basis alongside the desire for somewhere different/better in which to live I find there is usually a dissatisfaction with the place in which he/she has been living. In other words if you were "happy" with the country in which you were living the thought of emigration wouldn't even arise.

I dare say that for many in the UK issues such as the weather, traffic congestion, the cost of food/living, and the wider issues such as immigration (contentious!), education, and crime are all factors. This is particularly so for those with young families, who want a "better" future for their children.

Once the decision has been made to emigrate the question for most is where - and Australia/NZ/Canada are the natural destinations for most in the UK.

There's probably enough in this issue for a University thesis.

Best regards.

Originally posted by sydneyrose:
I think that is really fundamental to successful migration - believing in the society and its values and how much it is taking a direction you can support. Some people on these threads have been seduced by the sun and surf aspects of oz. Maybe a knowledge of civics should be a prerequisite and not just from 'lonely planet.' I also think living for a time in a foreign country (for me, the uk) skills you to deal with the things you don't like about your own country on return.

Old Oct 10th 2002, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by anthony:
Like the subject says:

Can somebody bring good news (I mean more!!!) on how good living in Australia????

Negativity has made me very frustrated.

hi we went over as a family to have a look around and to make sure i liked it. well it took me a couple of days to say yes lets go for it.
the things that made my mind up were the clean open spaces, no trying to drive to work or out for the day with the long long traffic jams.
the friendly people that talk to you anytime and anywhere. not like standing at a bus stop at home for years going to work every day with the same people and no one talking. and if you do they think your mad.
im not really a sun person (beaches i mean) but it was nice to feel happy when the weather was nice and warm. we live in southampton and you all rush to the beach when the sun comes out and fight for a space. perhaps thats why i never bothered as to have all though people around you doesnt interest me.
another one was no graffite(?) wow we have it everywhere along with the little gits that do it and get away with it.
well i could find a few more, but i have packing to do as we have had our moving date of the 25th oct. so lets hope the paperwork hurrys. well who cares anyway?(oh shit)
keep your chins up lorraine.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Joelle is an unknown quantity at this point

It was really great to read all those positive things when people around you are telling you you're mad for leaving everything you have in Europe in order to go Down There...

I think that nobody can tell in advance if immigration will be a success or not. Like most things, you'll only know once you've tried. As far as I am concerned, I do not want to regret one day for not having done it. I personally prefer to do it and (maybe, I hope not but this is part of the game) regret having done it but know the reasons why we didn't like it.

As I usually say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Anyway, thanks to all of you to have shared their optimism.

(Note : another quote from an Aussie friend this time : "This life is a test. If it was not the case, we would have been given the instructions of what to do and where to go" -> this is in my view the typical Aussie point of view).

Loads of love.

Jo.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:44 pm
Greg

The people always treated me well and living by the sea in the
subtropics is about as ideal a climate and location as I could ever
ask for...small things come to mind: orange-mango juice in the morning
(it's not the same anywhere else), ABC Classic FM, good Sunday night
TV on ABC (great wind-down from a weekend), some of the best musicians
ever playing all over the place in all types of bands in all types of
places, the caravan park holiday (with coin-operated BBQ--give the
inventor an award, please), the "hamburger with the lot" in all its
glorious permutations, and the voice of Jimmy Barnes singing on a
radio somewhere you just happen to be.

anthony wrote in message news:...
    > Like the subject says:
    > Can somebody bring good news (I mean more!!!) on how good living in
    > Australia????
    > Negativity has made me very frustrated.

Old Oct 11th 2002, 7:55 am
Chris

"anthony" wrote in message
news:439015.1034226848@britishexpats-
.com
    > Originally posted by Chris:
    > > My electricity costs me $0.74 per day or around $60 per 3 months.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >
    > >
    > So cheap! Where do you live? With heater/aircon?

Brisbane and the company is Energex (formerly SEQUEB). No, heaters are
never needed really, but my apartment is insulated I think, as it's quite
comfortable in Winter. Summer... well we have two ceiling fans and two
stand ups. We live on the top floor and have balconies on either end, so we
get a nice throughput of wind. Bear in mind, gas is used for cooking and
hot water. We just don't waste power, ie. we turn lights off in rooms when
we're not using them.

Chris

> And for all who post positive info, a big thank you. When I see
    > negative info, I can only tell myself that it's also happening all over
    > the world!
    > Just imagine you could be shot by snipper while doing nothing wrong. Do
    > you read latest news in US?
    > --
    > Member
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 12th 2002, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by anthony:
Like the subject says:

Can somebody bring good news (I mean more!!!) on how good living in Australia????

Negativity has made me very frustrated.
The tv is crap!this is because their`s so much to see and do outdoors which is good news.It`s not like uk where eastenders is designed to show people who`s lives are total shit with violence etc to make you feel that your life must be good in comparison.Sunshine helps Rab C nesbitt said(remember him)We are miserable bastards because just when the sun shines through and we just get the hood off of our parkas it pisses down almost immediately.ok so I am the first to quote rab C but lets face it he makes more sense than PB.