Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can somebody bring good news?

Can somebody bring good news?

Old Oct 9th 2002, 2:24 pm
FOX
Forum Regular

FOX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can somebody bring good news?

Thank you all so much. In the rollercoaster that has been this whole experience I was in a dip, and I think you may all have just pointed the way out!!

Just need the visa now!

Sarah
Old Oct 9th 2002, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Nix stuff- say bye bye to the potteries forever. See you at Alton Towers before we go!!

I sold my house today for the full asking price + my sister is coming back from Perth for 10 days to see me and bring me Burger Rings to keep me sane till the papers come through.

Hurry up HC

Love

Nicky 'soon to be homeless, jobless and still without our PR'!!!!!
Old Oct 9th 2002, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snickers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by syropes:
hi,

good thread this one, positive people. Got to admit, though I am new to the site, was getting fed up with the 'every silver lining has a cloud' brigade!!

I hope to be in perth by the end of november this year, if I can get my redundancy, if not will have to wait a bit longer

I will be coming out on my own, no house to sell in the UK, so I will have about £30,000 of hard earned savings to hopefully keep me going.

Over the last week I have got lots of info about 'what to do' when arrive. the best place I found for this was this site

http://users.chariot.net.au/~krmille....htm#indexlist

Really good stuff on it.

I agree with 'just arrived' you've only got one go at life, and with warts and all the average Ozzie life seems a better deal than the average uk life.

The negative brigade can't wait to say how bad things are in Oz, and they can't wait to get back to the UK. Well they left the UK for a reason to be in OZ, do they think that the reason they left the UK has gone?? How long before they starting moaning about the weather, the traffic and taxes when they are back??

For me, it's a chance to start afresh in a great place. at the end of the day it's what you make of it, with the ups and downs along the way. I would just rather do it all in the sun!!!

Cheers

Sy.
Sy,
Heres another site for you if you have not already got it, and its mainly Perth http://www.aussiemove.com/

Paul

good luck

Old Oct 9th 2002, 4:31 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nixstuff:
I've lived and worked in Canada, spent lots of time in the States, and then found Oz. All are different, intriguing, difficult, infuriating, entertaining, rewarding, fabulous. And not like home - vive la différence. So go native. Think Australian, drink Australian. Meet some Aussies, get yourselves outdoors, go places you only see on Lonely Planet. Fill your mind with vivid colour and memories, don't just fill your bank account. There's been way too much imperialism, consumerism, and capitalism dominating proceedings on this board...and not nearly enough human spirit. Life's an experience, not just an exchange rate, a commute, a bigger house or the next promotion.

We'll give it a go, if it doesn't work out SO WHAT we come home. We just want the adventure.
Well said
Old Oct 9th 2002, 6:30 pm
Andy & Siobhan Hanrahan

Well done anthony for starting this post. You can see from the number of
replies you've got, that there is plenty to look forward to. The negative
stuff can be very off-putting, but don't let it stop you from making a go
of it!
good luck
Andy
"anthony" wrote in message
news:437951.1034147555@britishexpats-
.com
    > Like the subject says:
    > Can somebody bring good news (I mean more!!!) on how good living in
    > Australia????
    > Negativity has made me very frustrated.
    > --
    > Member
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Andy & Siobhan Hanrahan:
of it!
good luck
Andy
.com
    > Like the subject says:
[q1]> Can somebody bring good news (I mean more!!!
Old Oct 9th 2002, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Andy & Siobhan Hanrahan:
of it!
good luck
Andy
.com
    > Like the subject says:
    > Australia????
    > --
    > Member
Another reason for me to leave UK. I received my fantastic pack on Childrens Tax credit today- and found out that even though we have 3 kids and pay a huge amount of tax - we are no longer entitled as we 'earn too much'
Thats another £3500 off of my tax allowance.

Roll on Australia, this countries policies are going to the dogs!!

Well done everyone for being such positive, go -getting people, at least you will have something to talk to your Grandchildren about even if things don't work out.

As the Winter sets in, it can't be any worse than this can it ?

Tinaj
Old Oct 9th 2002, 10:22 pm
shellypuss

Dear All,

Too right - we are going and going to make the best of it and enjoy our new lives - of course we all know the grass is not greener but at least the grass will be bathed in glorious sunlight.

Me and my hubby at least are going with the mindset that as long as we leave all comparisons with England in England then we won't turn into whinging poms.

What's the worst that could happen if you absolutely hate it (which I doubt) - you can come back - no harm done. What's life without a few risks.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to follow their dreams.

Cheers

Shelly

Old Oct 10th 2002, 12:15 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nixstuff:
Well, I've got some good news, for us at least..

WE GOT OUR VISAS YESTERDAY!!! WWWWWAAYYYYY-HEEYYYYYYYY!!!

No explicit details necessary, suffice to say applied Nov 27th 2000 (YES, THAT'S 2000), Deeming Date nightmare in June/July (resolved), first date of entry June 2003. Off to Perth, wife's family all live there, all of them better in mind, spirit (and yes, pocket) for it.

This group WAS entertaining and a good source of news, lord knows what's happened lately. All I'll comment is this - DO YOUR OWN THING. It's nice to get opinions, those of disgruntled expats are as interesting as those who've succeeded. It would seem whatever you do in life, wherever you do it, your circumstances can be a reflection of your character - you get out what you put in. And how you view what you get out determines if you consider yourself 'successful'.

I've lived and worked in Canada, spent lots of time in the States, and then found Oz. All are different, intriguing, difficult, infuriating, entertaining, rewarding, fabulous. And not like home - vive la différence. So go native. Think Australian, drink Australian. Meet some Aussies, get yourselves outdoors, go places you only see on Lonely Planet. Fill your mind with vivid colour and memories, don't just fill your bank account. There's been way too much imperialism, consumerism, and capitalism dominating proceedings on this board...and not nearly enough human spirit. Life's an experience, not just an exchange rate, a commute, a bigger house or the next promotion.

We'll give it a go, if it doesn't work out SO WHAT we come home. We just want the adventure. And all those coming back are more than welcome to come live in Stoke. Now THERE'S an experience for you all.

See you on the other side.

Nixstuff, S-O-T.
I seem to be a bad guy here, yet in many posts I have said Sydney is a great place to live, we love it here and I've just been trying to give a bit of balance because too many people exaggerate the problems in the UK, possibly to self justify their big decision. PB exaggerates the problems in Australia to counter the excesses of the anti Britain brigade (and because he obviously enjoys winding up the wind uppable). We are all wrong of course, the truth is that both places fall somewhere between the excessive claims made on these forums. Australia is not all sport, swimming pools, sunshine and smiles and Britain is not all traffic jams, dirt, drugs and child abductions.
I say dont run down the UK, its a great place, its YOUR OWN COUNTRY and you should defend it and be proud to be British. Jesus Christ, our grandparents died in a war for us to remain British and my grandfather carried a bullet around in his body his whole life - so stop running the place down. He would weep to read some of things I see posted on this forum. I'll always defend Britain and love it, warts and all, just as Aussies love and defend Australia warts and all. Come to Australia and immerse yourself in the culture, taste everything, swim in the sea, make friends with locals and have a great time. We have and its been a lot of fun. Australia will always be a special place for us.
And you are quite right about the excessive focus on imperialism, consumerism and capitalism. I've lived in many places ranging from a squat to a penthouse, I've owned cars from a lump of scrap metal to a new BMW, I've commuted to work 5 minutes and 2 hours, I've lived in the cold, I've lived in the hot. In my opinion NONE of these things, NONE OF THEM, really make you happy or unhappy in the long term. They make a difference for a very short while but soon all these things become familiar and routine and you simply stop noticing them. They become utterly irrelevant and nothing any one says can change my conviction about this.
Anyway, thats what I think. The REAL reason we are going back to the UK is because we are having a baby next year and we want it to be part of an extended family and we want our kids to share their lives with their grandparents, aunts and uncles. Everything else is just COMPLETELY and UTTERLY irrelevant to us. All we want out of life is to see the smiles on our parents faces, on my brothers faces, on my sisters face, as they play with our kids. We'd live anywhere in the world to see that because THAT is why we are alive. You may live for other things, and if so, good luck to you. Just make sure you live for something and bloody well enjoy it!
Old Oct 10th 2002, 12:57 am
Robert Edwards

Great attitude Shelly, all the very best to you.

Rob
"shellypuss" wrote in message
news:438692.1034202154@britishexpats-
.com
    > Dear All,
    > Too right - we are going and going to make the best of it and enjoy our
    > new lives - of course we all know the grass is not greener but at least
    > the grass will be bathed in glorious sunlight.
    > Me and my hubby at least are going with the mindset that as long as we
    > leave all comparisons with England in England then we won't turn into
    > whinging poms.
    > What's the worst that could happen if you absolutely hate it (which
    > I doubt) - you can come back - no harm done. What's life without a
    > few risks.
    > Good luck to everyone still waiting to follow their dreams.
    > Cheers
    > Shelly
    > --

Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:01 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good post Herman, and well expressed.

Like many who have emigrated, my and my wife's families are in the UK as are our UK friends (I'm pleased to say that we now have Aussie friends as well). We often think about the issues you mention, particularly in the context of our children - not seeing their grandparents, cousins - and also how the grandparents feel about not seeing our children. It's an issue that doesn't (and shouldn't) go away.

That said, we are fortunate (my wife might beg to differ!) in that my parents visited for a couple of months last summer, and are doing so again this summer. And we were back in the UK in June/July. In fact the children probably see more of the grandparents since we've moved to Oz than they did when we were living a busy life in the UK.

One of the drivers for me in wanting to move to Australia was (and still is) a concern about what kind of country the UK is becoming from the social perspective. This was a particular issue given that we have young children - in making a choice between the UK and Australia as to the environment in which I would prefer them to grow up I choose the latter. I would also like my children (and grandchildren) to have those same choices later in their lives - they can return to the UK/Europe at some point or live in Australia. To me, having the freedom of choice as to where we live is important.

I guess to a significant degree I believe in where Oz is going as a country, and have some major doubts about the UK's direction - if there is one. And of course only time will tell if I'm right on that score.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Herman:

I seem to be a bad guy here, yet in many posts I have said Sydney is a great place to live, we love it here and I've just been trying to give a bit of balance because too many people exaggerate the problems in the UK, possibly to self justify their big decision. PB exaggerates the problems in Australia to counter the excesses of the anti Britain brigade (and because he obviously enjoys winding up the wind uppable). We are all wrong of course, the truth is that both places fall somewhere between the excessive claims made on these forums. Australia is not all sport, swimming pools, sunshine and smiles and Britain is not all traffic jams, dirt, drugs and child abductions.
I say dont run down the UK, its a great place, its YOUR OWN COUNTRY and you should defend it and be proud to be British. Jesus Christ, our grandparents died in a war for us to remain British and my grandfather carried a bullet around in his body his whole life - so stop running the place down. He would weep to read some of things I see posted on this forum. I'll always defend Britain and love it, warts and all, just as Aussies love and defend Australia warts and all. Come to Australia and immerse yourself in the culture, taste everything, swim in the sea, make friends with locals and have a great time. We have and its been a lot of fun. Australia will always be a special place for us.
And you are quite right about the excessive focus on imperialism, consumerism and capitalism. I've lived in many places ranging from a squat to a penthouse, I've owned cars from a lump of scrap metal to a new BMW, I've commuted to work 5 minutes and 2 hours, I've lived in the cold, I've lived in the hot. In my opinion NONE of these things, NONE OF THEM, really make you happy or unhappy in the long term. They make a difference for a very short while but soon all these things become familiar and routine and you simply stop noticing them. They become utterly irrelevant and nothing any one says can change my conviction about this.
Anyway, thats what I think. The REAL reason we are going back to the UK is because we are having a baby next year and we want it to be part of an extended family and we want our kids to share their lives with their grandparents, aunts and uncles. Everything else is just COMPLETELY and UTTERLY irrelevant to us. All we want out of life is to see the smiles on our parents faces, on my brothers faces, on my sisters face, as they play with our kids. We'd live anywhere in the world to see that because THAT is why we are alive. You may live for other things, and if so, good luck to you. Just make sure you live for something and bloody well enjoy it!
Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:27 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
That's a good post Herman, and well expressed.

Like many who have emigrated, my and my wife's families are in the UK as are our UK friends (I'm pleased to say that we now have Aussie friends as well). We often think about the issues you mention, particularly in the context of our children - not seeing their grandparents, cousins - and also how the grandparents feel about not seeing our children. It's an issue that doesn't (and shouldn't) go away.

That said, we are fortunate (my wife might beg to differ!) in that my parents visited for a couple of months last summer, and are doing so again this summer. And we were back in the UK in June/July. In fact the children probably see more of the grandparents since we've moved to Oz than they did when we were living a busy life in the UK.

One of the drivers for me in wanting to move to Australia was (and still is) a concern about what kind of country the UK is becoming from the social perspective. This was a particular issue given that we have young children - in making a choice between the UK and Australia as to the environment in which I would prefer them to grow up I choose the latter. I would also like my children (and grandchildren) to have those same choices later in their lives - they can return to the UK/Europe at some point or live in Australia. To me, having the freedom of choice as to where we live is important.

I guess to a significant degree I believe in where Oz is going as a country, and have some major doubts about the UK's direction - if there is one. And of course only time will tell if I'm right on that score.

Best regards.

Thanks Alan, just had to say my bit. By the way, I'm a member of the ICAEW. Who says accountants cant express themselves eh? Just out of interest, I've never investigated this so 'scuse my ignorance - whats the difference between a 'fellow' and a 'member' of the ICAEW?
Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:33 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Ha-hay! Another member of the "Club" in Australia (albeit not for too much longer)!

Re your question: there are two categories of full membership of the ICAEW: Associate (= ACA) and Fellow (= FCA). The latter is for us older crumblies who have been working in the profession for at least 10 years - or at least that was the requirement when I applied for Fellowship a few years ago: the situation might have changed since then in that it might now be possible to apply for Fellowship if you have worked on the commercial side.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Herman:

Thanks Alan, just had to say my bit. By the way, I'm a member of the ICAEW. Who says accountants cant express themselves eh? Just out of interest, I've never investigated this so 'scuse my ignorance - whats the difference between a 'fellow' and a 'member' of the ICAEW?
Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:44 am

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Ha-hay! Another member of the "Club" in Australia (albeit not for too much longer)!

Re your question: there are two categories of full membership of the ICAEW: Associate (= ACA) and Fellow (= FCA). The latter is for us older crumblies who have been working in the profession for at least 10 years - or at least that was the requirement when I applied for Fellowship a few years ago: the situation might have changed since then in that it might now be possible to apply for Fellowship if you have worked on the commercial side.

Best regards.

Been a member since 1995 so a few years to go and I can be an 'F' instead of an 'M'. I guess that will officially make me old. Hmmm.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 4:07 am
Chris

.com
    > Like the subject says:
    > Australia????

My electricity costs me $0.74 per day or around $60 per 3 months.

Chris

> --
    > Member

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.