Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can somebody answer my UK crime Question ?

Can somebody answer my UK crime Question ?

Old Jul 13th 2002, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Can somebody answer my UK crime Question ?

Sorry to put a UK question here but All I read here suggests the crime in the UK is worlds worst. Anyway, we hope at the end of this year to return to the UK, Looking a houses in villages around Guildford. Bramley was one in particular. Please tell me the truth no polite answers, basically are we likely to be mugged raped and burgled while out getting the Sunday Newspaper? Is crime so bad even in small places or is it just more in the big housing estates in major cities. The only person I know in the Uk who had any trouble was my parents in North London who got burgled twice which is actually how many times we got burgled in Brisbane. Anybody living around Surrey would be a big help. Cheers.l
Old Jul 13th 2002, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Can somebody answer my UK crime Question ?

I also ment to ask what people think of that new law that allows the police to ignore small drug users. Saw on news that Australia is set to follow UK lead and ignore posession of small amounts of soft drugs. Thougt that was pretty scary as it said 30% of aussies regularly used or had used drugs. How is all this affecting the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 9:20 am
Spinach88

Hi,

much as i dislike living in england, i have to admit that, despite our shit press
trying to whip up a story, the crime here is really nothing to worry about.
particularly in an affluent area like guildford. i lived there for 4 years and walked
around freely in the middle of the night without fear, as did most everyone else i
knew there.

if you need real reasons why you should not move back, i'm sure there are many people
on this newsgroup who can help you!

spinach/

"dotty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry to put a UK question here but All I read here suggests the crime in the UK is
    > worlds worst. Anyway, we hope at the end of this year to return to the UK, Looking
    > a houses in villages around Guildford. Bramley was one in particular. Please tell
    > me the truth no polite answers, basically are we likely to be mugged raped and
    > burgled while out getting the Sunday Newspaper? Is crime so bad even in small
    > places or is it just more in the big housing estates in major cities. The only
    > person I know in the Uk who had any trouble was my parents in North London who got
    > burgled twice which is actually how many times we got burgled in Brisbane. Anybody
    > living around Surrey would be a big help. Cheers.l
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Jul 13th 2002, 10:20 am
Rob

In <[email protected]> dotty wrote:
    > I also ment to ask what people think of that new law that allows the police to
    > ignore small drug users. Saw on news that Australia is set to follow UK lead and
    > ignore posession of small amounts of soft drugs. Thougt that was pretty scary as
    > it said 30% of aussies regularly used or had used drugs. How is all this
    > affecting the UK.

The best argument for/against I heard in the last week was from a police official who
described the old system. If an officer sees/finds any drugs on a person it's an
automatic arrest. The officer has to take the offender to the police station for
processing - this usually involves calling out two other officers in a van with a
cage. The officer will spend 4 hours on this in total. Add to that, the folks in
charge of taking offenders to court (CPS?) also spend a few hours on it and then at
the end of the day the offender goes to court and the magistrate fines them £10
(US$15 AU$27).

No figures were given on what the total cost is to get this £10, but it's got to be
£500 or more. Worse still, the officers are off the street for hours.

At least with the new system, the officer can give the offender a metaphorical slap
on the wrist with a caution and then get on with something more productive.

Old Jul 13th 2002, 11:14 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Dotty, check out this story

Q: Can I get away with smoking dope, officer?
A: Only on the other side of the street , sir

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/news2.html

Last edited by newstartnz; Jul 14th 2002 at 6:42 am.
Old Jul 13th 2002, 1:20 pm
Terry R Brookin

I live near Haslemere 15 miles south of Guildford. We have noticed an increase in
crime over the last 20 years, but I'm not in the least bit afraid of going out at
night, though my wife is, as ever, extra cautious and always locks the doors of the
car and won't go out alone at night. I think the highest risk may be a pickpocket in
Guildford (we know lots of local people who have been 'done').

There does seem to be a lot of burglaries in our area, with a spate just down the
road from us. Even a local stable was raided and riding tackle taken - we have a
better class of thief in this area! <g>. We are fortunate in living in a small
comminity with an excellent neighbourhood watch, but even without that I don't feel
there is any need to be unduly concerned other than the usual precautions.

Recent statistics says that half of all crime in England is committed in 20 council
areas, the closest and second highest was Lambeth, South London. (I'm going on memory
for that!). The highest was in Birmingham.

As for the change in the drug laws, this is simply downgrading cannibus from a B
class to a C class drug. People caught with it are let off with a warning, rather
that a criminal prosecution, but I think the police still confiscate it.

Now, please explain why you want to move back the the crowded SE of England?

--
Regards -Terry

Old Jul 13th 2002, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I live in Surrey and it is a pretty safe area to live in. There are burglaries everywhere nowdays, but I don't think they are anymore likely in Surrey. The most likely crime is mugging or mobile phone theft, though most of these are done by teenagers to teenagers. I have lived here most of my life and can only remember the odd murder ( usually 2 blokes drunk fighting after hours) happening. I would not personally be worried, though all women should be aware when out at night.
It is a beautiful county to live in ( when it isn't raining), but the houses are very expensive!!
Old Jul 14th 2002, 4:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly got confused with the Hampshire Bramley, so sorry no specific information on the Surrey one. Dotty having lived in Belfast, Reading and now Sydney, crime is everywhere but no better in Aus than England or vice versa, crime seems to be part of what we are told to accept? sad thought - good luck. I agreed with tinajs comments
Old Jul 15th 2002, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for the answers. Quite reassuring.

Terry asked why we were going back. Lots of reasons, been here over a decade now. Isolation one, we love to travel and that is super expensive from here. Weak dollar massive airfare costs. Family, have always missed them, they are getting on
and I will regret to my dying day that our kids grew up without gandparents. The stupid ever increasing summers we have, up to eight months of heat hell. You probabley cant imagine what its like to wake up at 4.30 am with the sun already blaring. or what 40 with 90% humidity is, or the staggering heat even once its dark and the breeze drops and you sit like a damp limp rag exhausted all the time, or the continual life smothered in sticky sunblock, or trying to avoid going outside between 10 am till 4pm. Or the wonder of trying to sleep with just a sheet making you hot. I think people here are always so angry and agressive, its because of the heat. Sure we could move to Sydney which i really like but with the cost we might as well be in the UK. Shops, I would kill for a good shopping centre. Also wanting to work for money in a currency which is worth something, getting some savings in real money not useless aussie dollars. Plus my Aussie daughters and Husband love the diversity of life in the UK. We have said for years now if the dollar goes up we will leave, but I doubt it ever will so we are now looking at leaving anyway, despite 10 years work converting to one third of what we have made here. Hello mortage again but who cares. I dont totally regret coming here, it was a big experience, but we need a more interesting life, and I know the UK is not perfect but for us it offers far more. And of course I am aware that for some Australia will offer the things that are important for them. So may we all be happy with wherever we choose.
Old Jul 17th 2002, 4:20 am
Hills

dotty wrote:

> Thank you for the answers. Quite reassuring.
    >
    > Terry asked why we were going back. Lots of reasons, been here over a decade now.
    > Isolation one, we love to travel and that is super expensive from here. Weak dollar
    > massive airfare costs. Family, have always missed them, they are getting on and I
    > will regret to my dying day that our kids grew up without gandparents. The stupid
    > ever increasing summers we have, up to eight months of heat hell. You probabley
    > cant imagine what its like to wake up at 4.30 am with the sun already blaring. or
    > what 40 with 90% humidity is, or the staggering heat even once its dark and the
    > breeze drops and you sit like a damp limp rag exhausted all the time, or the
    > continual life smothered in sticky sunblock, or trying to avoid going outside
    > between 10 am till 4pm. Or the wonder of trying to sleep with just a sheet making
    > you hot. I think people here are always so angry and agressive, its because of the
    > heat. Sure we could move to Sydney which i really like but with the cost we might
    > as well be in the UK. Shops, I would kill for a good shopping centre. Also wanting
    > to work for money in a currency which is worth something, getting some savings in
    > real money not useless aussie dollars. Plus my Aussie daughters and Husband love
    > the diversity of life in the UK. We have said for years now if the dollar goes up
    > we will leave, but I doubt it ever will so we are now looking at leaving anyway,
    > despite 10 years work converting to one third of what we have made here. Hello
    > mortage again but who cares. I dont totally regret coming here, it was a big
    > experience, but we need a more interesting life, and I know the UK is not perfect
    > but for us it offers far more. And of course I am aware that for some Australia
    > will offer the things that are important for them. So may we all be happy with
    > wherever we choose.
    >
    > --

Thanks Dotty for quite a balanced view of life in Brisbane (that's where you are
isn't it?). I'm a Brisbane local, and would love to spend a few years enjoying what
the UK has that Brisbane doesn't. (If we could afford it, which we can't!), but hubby
moved from the UK 12 years ago now, and he won't go back... The things you hate are
the things he likes... in the UK, he chased every bit of sun he could. He loves open
space and heat and beaches and endless summer. He misses culture, and a diverse arts
world, and history and family - but not enough to be cold again.

I think it really does come down to, for each person, is what *they* want from life
as to whether they will obtain it more easily in the UK or Australia. LJ

Old Jul 17th 2002, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

fatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in Surrey for 17 years and have had no problems aprt from my car getting broken into 10 years ago. That was my fault, 'cos i left a bga on the back seat!!

Guildfod and surrounding areas are fine places.

Dave
Old Jul 17th 2002, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

ALANW is an unknown quantity at this point

Dotty,
I live near Guildford and crime is fairly low especially in villages such as Bramley. Most crime is in the big cities (especially violent crime). In areas round Surrey crime tends to be theft from cars and houses and with sensible precautions can mostly be avoided.
Regards

Alan
Old Jul 19th 2002, 1:20 pm
Jaj

Dotty A lot of people go back to the UK for reasons you suggest. Six months or later
they realise that their vision of what Britain would be like was a fantasy, and they
end up moving back to Australia (if their visa/citizenship situation allows it) at
great expense.

I'm not saying this will necessarily happen to you, but out of interest, have you
actually been back to the UK for an extended period recently?

If it's just the Brisbane climate that's getting you down (which the tone of your
post suggests) why not think of somewhere else in Australia or New Zealand - there
are plenty of alternatives other than Sydney.

I'm just wondering what you'll be thinking a few years down the line after
experiencing the third or fourth washout summer in a row, or after a 3/4 month of
incessant cloud and rain.

Jeremy

>On 15 Jul 2002 03:20:29 GMT, dotty <[email protected]> wrote: Thank you for
    >the answers. Quite reassuring.
    >
    >Terry asked why we were going back. Lots of reasons, been here over a decade now.
    >Isolation one, we love to travel and that is super expensive from here. Weak dollar
    >massive airfare costs. Family, have always missed them, they are getting on and I
    >will regret to my dying day that our kids grew up without gandparents. The stupid
    >ever increasing summers we have, up to eight months of heat hell. You probabley cant
    >imagine what its like to wake up at 4.30 am with the sun already blaring. or what 40
    >with 90% humidity is, or the staggering heat even once its dark and the breeze drops
    >and you sit like a damp limp rag exhausted all the time, or the continual life
    >smothered in sticky sunblock, or trying to avoid going outside between 10 am till
    >4pm. Or the wonder of trying to sleep with just a sheet making you hot. I think
    >people here are always so angry and agressive, its because of the heat. Sure we
    >could move to Sydney which i really like but with the cost we might as well be in
    >the UK. Shops, I would kill for a good shopping centre. Also wanting to work for
    >money in a currency which is worth something, getting some savings in real money not
    >useless aussie dollars. Plus my Aussie daughters and Husband love the diversity of
    >life in the UK. We have said for years now if the dollar goes up we will leave, but
    >I doubt it ever will so we are now looking at leaving anyway, despite 10 years work
    >converting to one third of what we have made here. Hello mortage again but who
    >cares. I dont totally regret coming here, it was a big experience, but we need a
    >more interesting life, and I know the UK is not perfect but for us it offers far
    >more. And of course I am aware that for some Australia will offer the things that
    >are important for them. So may we all be happy with wherever we choose.
    >
    >
    >
    >--

Old Jul 20th 2002, 1:35 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

in my view it's not about the weather as you adjust in both countries and it becomes the norm. in england you dream of sunny days and blue skies, in australia you dream of seasons, even rain when you hav'nt had any for 3 months and the gardens dead and sprinklers are banned ! also when your working 50 hour weeks in an office with little natural sunlight for 48 weeks a year it does'nt matter how blue the sky is in brisbane as you never get to see much of it even in summer it's dark by 7.30 !

for me its more about lifestyle and choice. australia just does'nt yet have the full range of "living" that other western countries enjoy. its a compromise living here founded on cheaper housing and lower cost of living. for some it may be perfect and they are also content with the simpler way of life on offer but for me its a big compromise. I am talking migrants here not born and bred aussies as we all know you love the place but thats not really the point of this board.

sydney's ok but it is as expensive as se england and the climate is not that much better given the extremes it experiences. melbourne is lovely and also just as expensive but the climates worst than se uk in my view. perth and adelaide too isolated and to dry and we wont mention tasmania. brisbane is the only choice for us but you have to after a few years weigh up the pros and cons and decide if the scales are in your favour or at least in balance and unfortunately sometimes there not.
Old Jul 20th 2002, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

We have been back recently, and I hope I look at both countries with open eyes. I actually never got used to the climate and funnily enough my kids who ave lived here almost all their lives hate it too (too hot). My husband Australian, hates the weather and he was born here. He says OK so you get a biggger house in Aus, but basically we are bored silly, you get a lot more Life in the UK. If I get invited to another BBQ I might just stick a sausage up somebodys ....... all that keeping up with the Jones chat amongst the girls in one corner and the blokes waffling on about aussie sport, really exciting every weekend for 10+ years. Or how many hours a week can you spend staring at the beach which is very boring unless you take up surfing, (never a good option with my 10 yard certificate actually.) The UK is more expensive than Brisbane but not compared to Sydney/Melb. Its a lot of effort for us to move, so we might as well get back to the Uk as start again in some other aussie town or NZ where I would probably die of boredom although die with some beautiful scenery. I guess some people may like the suffocating strength humidity of Brisbane and a big house may mean a lot more to some than it does to me, but for me the big house was never compensation enough for all we missed. The UK is not perfect and Australia certainly is not the tourist book image we often read dreamed about here, but each country offers different things and having tried both I guess I am in the I need more mental stimulation and variety to my life. I hope to hell that it rains for at least 4 years when we go back, then I can burn the sunblock, hats , sunglasses, nylon UV proof sexy ! fashions, and step outside without worrying about slip, slop bloody slap, thank you. (PS, If I sound a bit bored/fed up today its because I would actually KILL to see some good shops, I did actually consider buying a $2300 airline ticket to london yesterday just so my sister and I could chat and see a real shop, but husband would object, so if your reading this go up Oxford street and have a shop for me), spare a thought for this woman facing a choice of fluro yellow shorts or a uv 60 pink and orange lycra paisly T.shirt with matching hat, weilding a sausage on a BBQ fork. Look out London here we come.........

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.