Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a shop charge more for 'chilled' Coke?

Can a shop charge more for 'chilled' Coke?

Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:20 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a shop charge more for 'chilled' Coke?

Seen it all now!

Go to local IGA for a few bits and grab a 1.25ltr bottle of coke on the shelf for $1.99.

Now standing in the queue to pay and I see them in the fridge, but with $3.80 under em. I thought it was an error so swapped with shelf one, but passed it thru first and clocked the till ... $3.80, so I questioned the price and she said "yeah, 2 diff prices for shelf or fridge!"

Ice cubes work fine I told my son, who it was for, but seriously can this be allowed?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a shop charge more for 'chilled' Coke?

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Seen it all now!

Go to local IGA for a few bits and grab a 1.25ltr bottle of coke on the shelf for $1.99.

Now standing in the queue to pay and I see them in the fridge, but with $3.80 under em. I thought it was an error so swapped with shelf one, but passed it thru first and clocked the till ... $3.80, so I questioned the price and she said "yeah, 2 diff prices for shelf or fridge!"

Ice cubes work fine I told my son, who it was for, but seriously can this be allowed?
They can charge what they like. If someone is prepared to spend $3.80 then they'll charge it. I would. Charge it I mean, not buy it.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
They can charge what they like. If someone is prepared to spend $3.80 then they'll charge it. I would. Charge it I mean, not buy it.
Oh me too, just wouldn't of thought they could charge 2 prices for the same item ...
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh me too, just wouldn't of thought they could charge 2 prices for the same item ...
They're using electricity to cool the drinks. Judging by my last leccy bill, they're probably not making a profit. Joke. I've been in a bottle shop and seen people happily pay extra for the stuff out of the chiller than the same thing on the floor because they don't have to worry about chilling it themselves. More money than sense, some people.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:48 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Seen it all now!

So the till automatically clocked it at $3.80? I mean, she didn't feel it was chilled and manually put it through at a higher price?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:50 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

seriously can this be allowed?
Of course.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Not Coke but last week i bought the sunday paper in Port Hedland price on the paper $2.20..at the checkout charged $3.40 I pointed out the price on the paper... Oh thats the other price ...So it looks like they can charge what they like I left the paper on the counter.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:27 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

in the state of New York they charge different prices for gasoline self-pumped vs attendant pumped, been like that for as long as I care to remember. In NJ across the state line it is one price for the only reason that you are not allowed to pump your own gas weird innit
Old Aug 31st 2012, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
in the state of New York they charge different prices for gasoline self-pumped vs attendant pumped, been like that for as long as I care to remember. In NJ across the state line it is one price for the only reason that you are not allowed to pump your own gas weird innit
They used to do that in Oz as well when I first arrived ('89). The only place you'd find attendant pumped petrol was in the country but it was very often a different price. If you chose to have the attendant option they'd usually clean your screen and check oil as well if you wanted them to.

Haven't seen any of those service stations for years.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
So the till automatically clocked it at $3.80? I mean, she didn't feel it was chilled and manually put it through at a higher price?

Yeah, I wonder if the barcodes were the same.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
From what I've seen the chilled bottles tend to be a different size to the others - e.g. 1.25 litre bottles on the shelf, 1.5 litre chilled but with a big difference in price.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 9:40 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I thought this was odd but the comment above about the sizes being different could explain it?? Otherwise (if you were really bloody minded about your chilled drinks) you could just drop a bottle from the shelf into the ice cream freezer while you did your shopping and then pull it out on when you go to the check out - chilled coke at the lower shelf price.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure all those corner type shops used to do that in London when I lived there..... I'm talking in the 70's here.

Either off the shelf behind the counter or one from the fridge, which the owner/attendent would retreive... before the days of glass door customer opened fridges.

I've not seen the larger bottles of Coke in Fridges down here... just the 375ml and 600ml ones. Which incidently are generally dearer than the larger ones of the shelf.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 31st 2012 at 10:19 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zen10
I thought this was odd but the comment above about the sizes being different could explain it?? Otherwise (if you were really bloody minded about your chilled drinks) you could just drop a bottle from the shelf into the ice cream freezer while you did your shopping and then pull it out on when you go to the check out - chilled coke at the lower shelf price.
Nope, dunno how but both same bottle sizes, can only guess barcode batches or something.

The shelf bottle @ $1.99 is exactly the same as the fridge one, bar the chill factor.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 12:25 am
Banned

Nope, dunno how but both same bottle sizes, can only guess barcode batches or something.

The shelf bottle @ $1.99 is exactly the same as the fridge one, bar the chill factor.
So chuck it in the freezer when you start your shopping and get it chilled, admittedly this does take money saving to new levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.