Reload this Page >

Can presents be wrapped in your hold luggage

Can presents be wrapped in your hold luggage

Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

silvershadow68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can presents be wrapped in your hold luggage

Hi folks,
can anybody please clarify if presents can be wrapped and put in your hold luggage before flying.

I am going from Glasgow to Perth Via Dubai, and flying Emirates at the end of the month (visiting friends)

cheers

thomas
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:45 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can presents be wrapped in your hold luggage

Originally Posted by silvershadow68
Hi folks,
can anybody please clarify if presents can be wrapped and put in your hold luggage before flying.

I am going from Glasgow to Perth Via Dubai, and flying Emirates at the end of the month (visiting friends)

cheers

thomas
Depends what it is? More info needed.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Depends what it is? More info needed.

baby clothes, perfume, & bottle of spirits

thanks
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

If they choose to snag (check) your case then the presents will be inspected, scanned and possibly opened. This happened to us and to be fair all were taken apart very carefully and re-wrapped. Although perhaps taking into account the risk it might be better to leave unwrapped.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

cheers

thomas
I can only tell you every time my OH use to travel from USA, a friend of ours use to wrap presents for myself & children, he use to be asked to open the wrapping, & use to be ask for every thing to be open, so I don’t know if this rules applies to other countries, but with all the securities all passengers got through they might ask you to unwrap.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

unwrapped it is then.

will probably just take some gift bags along with me for quickness then.

cheers
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:41 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

unwrapped it is then.

will probably just take some gift bags along with me for quickness then.

cheers

Don't forget to declare to Customs what you have. Carrying them yourself would be better than leaving them in a suitcase to be thrown on a trolley, have other things dropped on them, or fall off baggage trailer. It would leave the clothes really scented. Make sure they are wrapped in something that will absorb shock to protect the bottles ie towels, clothes etc.
BTW, on the downside, if you are carrying them, be aware of restrictions of carrying any fluids onboard in hand luggage. They can vary from airport to airport, country to country.

Ps. didn't notice you were flying via Dubai. It may pay to check with Emerates as to their policy and local laws.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 9th 2008 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I have many times carried wrapped presents from the folks back home when coming here. I have always known what is in them and if they were declarable I have declared them. Never had a problem. If they show up on xray as being suss then they will ask you to unpack and unwrap but if they are just run of the mill things then you should be OK - providing you trust the original wrapper is not going to insert a couple of kilos of coke in there.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Hi folks,

cheers

thomas
from experience we now wished we had our bags wrapped from brisbane to heathrow.
finding our presents had been stolen from our bags and the empty boxes left behind,next time i will put them in hand lugg or wrapped
pad locks didnt put them off
360.00 quid worth
Old Feb 10th 2008, 11:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're carrying presents for people from other people be careful how you answer the question - "did you pack this suitcase yourself" If you admit that the presents are from others you'll be at customs for a while. Much easier to not have the stuff wrapped in the first place.