Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can a PR visa be revoked?

Can a PR visa be revoked?

Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Gaucho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a PR visa be revoked?

I am new to BE, however, my first post isn't on a happy footing - I have recently been diagnosed with cancer.

This has come as a massive hammerblow and both my family and I are still shellshocked by this finding. Fortunately, I have learned that it has been caught at an early stage and the prognosis is very good.

Our dreams to emigrate have now gone down the plughole as we were planning to leave here in March/April 2011. I'm clinging onto the hope that we can still make it at some point in the future but I have to remain in the UK for at least another 12-18 months for treatment and follow ups. Luckily, I have over 3 years before my PR visa expires.

At the time my PR visa was granted I was obviously fit and healthy based on the medicals I underwent.

My question to the good folk of BE is, can a PR visa be revoked based on the fact that I will potentially be a medical burden (I will, no doubt, need following up for the rest of my life) if I do eventually make it to Oz?
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can a PR visa be revoked?

I am pretty sure that a PR visa cannot be revoked for health reasons. I think I am 100% sure.

But, with such possible costs hanging over you, it would be worth considering your options very carefully. I have been told that the UK NHS now covers all costs for cancer and such like, which may be better than you may get here.

My own experiences with the Australian Healthcare have been pretty good so far, but some people have mentioned that some costs can be very high. It isn't all covered by Medicare.

Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As the visa has already been validated i think you are OK.
However, I'd recommend a quick call/email to a registered migration agent just to confirm it - NOT to DIAC!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Glenhope is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE] can a PR visa be revoked based on the fact that I will potentially be a medical burden (I will, no doubt, need following up for the rest of my life) if I do eventually make it to Oz?[/QUOTE]
It can only be revoked if false statements were knowingly made. If the Immigration recommended doctor didn't pick it up, it's not your fault. As Pollyanna suggested, check with a migration agent. Also, you are not obliged to tell Immi. When it comes to PR renewal, I don't remember any medical questions. After treatment long term checkups should be annual - you might think of having them in the UK, depending on what's involved.

However, you must have only had the medical at most 3 years ago and there was no sign. What does your doctor in UK say about that? Is it grounds for 2nd opinion?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 3:39 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenhope
It can only be revoked if false statements were knowingly made. If the Immigration recommended doctor didn't pick it up, it's not your fault. As Pollyanna suggested, check with a migration agent. Also, you are not obliged to tell Immi. When it comes to PR renewal, I don't remember any medical questions. After treatment long term checkups should be annual - you might think of having them in the UK, depending on what's involved.

However, you must have only had the medical at most 3 years ago and there was no sign. What does your doctor in UK say about that? Is it grounds for 2nd opinion?
A PR isn't "renewed" as such, you apply for a Return Resident Visa or citizenship, but no, there are no medical questions
PR can be revoked for several other reasons besides false statements, but they wouldn't seem to apply in this case.
AS for the medical only being 3 years ago, they don't screen for most types of cancer. If it is picked up then treatment would've been offered, but most types of cancer wouldn't be detected in the early stages by a standard Aus PR medical.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM, but dont know that you can collect them with only a post or two.

I had a brain tumour. Had surgery and mop up... 2004. THEN applied for a visa... PR... Now here in WA living the life since 2007. Immigration fully aware of my history. Have yearly followup here on the public health system..

Hope that reassures...
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:21 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by eddie007

I had a brain tumour. Had surgery and mop up... 2004. THEN applied for a visa... PR... Now here in WA living the life since 2007. Immigration fully aware of my history. Have yearly followup here on the public health system..

Hope that reassures...
You need three posts
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Would like to thank everyone for their prompt replies and reassuring information.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by eddie007

Hope that reassures...

Thanks eddie007. This will take my tally to 3 posts and will be able to read and reply to your PM.

Thanks again.